How Does Fix and Flipper find First Deal (Chicago Market)

How Does Fix and Flipper find First Deal (Chicago Market)

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes

I have been looking for that first deal for about 4 months and have been close but have not locked anything in. I lose focus based upon many methods of finding property yet nothing seems to work. I am amazed by how many fix and flippers are able to do hundreds of deals when it takes so long to find just one. I have been trying to locate wholesale deals through mailings and door knocking to looking at properties of other wholesalers and finally talking to real estate agents for any leads they may have. I am not having any success and am getting frustrated as to how I should focus my energies. I would be grateful for any guidance as to how fix and flippers develop their strategies and what can I do to develop mine.

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
13y

Hi Kenneth

You have to have a lot of persistence to succeed. I know A LOT of people that took at least 6 months to find their first deal (I heard the average for serious investors was 6 months). It took me 8 months. Having said that, as you make more connections and gain experience, you'll find it gets easier. It took me 12 months to find and complete my first rehab and flip. In the following 9 months I acquired 5 more properties and completed 2 more flips. 5 of the 6 in Chicago, by the way. It does get easier.

Keep plugging away!

Good luck

Larry

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    13y

    Start going to a real estate investing club where you can do some networking. Let your plan be known to one and all.

    Auction.com shows 39 foreclosures in Chicago.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Brant,

    Thank you for the advice. How do I find real estate investing clubs?

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Ken:

    You can just Google it and will likely find something. Also you can try looking at the "Meetup" website and look for real estate-related meetups in your area. I am just starting myself but found this group in Oakbrook. http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Realestate-Group/

    Hope that helps!

    John

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    13y

    Hi Kenneth

    You have to have a lot of persistence to succeed. I know A LOT of people that took at least 6 months to find their first deal (I heard the average for serious investors was 6 months). It took me 8 months. Having said that, as you make more connections and gain experience, you'll find it gets easier. It took me 12 months to find and complete my first rehab and flip. In the following 9 months I acquired 5 more properties and completed 2 more flips. 5 of the 6 in Chicago, by the way. It does get easier.

    Keep plugging away!

    Good luck

    Larry

  • Investor · Merrillville, IN · Member since 2009 · 252 posts · 104 votes
    13y
  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    13y

    Brian beat me to it. Great list of them right here on Bigger Pockets as to REI Clubs. I was just at a meeting last night actually.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Larry Smet:
    Hi Kenneth

    You have to have a lot of persistence to succeed. I know A LOT of people that took at least 6 months to find their first deal (I heard the average for serious investors was 6 months). It took me 8 months. Having said that, as you make more connections and gain experience, you'll find it gets easier. It took me 12 months to find and complete my first rehab and flip. In the following 9 months I acquired 5 more properties and completed 2 more flips. 5 of the 6 in Chicago, by the way. It does get easier.

    Keep plugging away!

    Good luck

    Larry

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Larry Smet:
    Hi Kenneth

    You have to have a lot of persistence to succeed. I know A LOT of people that took at least 6 months to find their first deal (I heard the average for serious investors was 6 months). It took me 8 months. Having said that, as you make more connections and gain experience, you'll find it gets easier. It took me 12 months to find and complete my first rehab and flip. In the following 9 months I acquired 5 more properties and completed 2 more flips. 5 of the 6 in Chicago, by the way. It does get easier.

    Keep plugging away!

    Good luck

    Larry

    Larry,

    Thank you for the response. Please tell me how you found your first deal and some of those that followed. It is helpful to hear individual stories. Thanks again. Ken

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    @Larry Smet

    Curious as to how you found your deals in the Chicago market. Thanks-Ken

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    13y

    Hey @Kenneth Goldman

    My first deal I found through the listing agent of an REO. It was in Northlake, IL and I found it on the MLS - can you believe it?? My 2nd was a short sale off the MLS (in Orlando though). 3rd through 6th deals were all in Chicago. 3rd was a traditional sale (pocket listing) that my realtor found - the same realtor that I worked with on the first flip. The 4th - 6th were done by purchasing judicial certs. The 4th through a wholesaler, the 5th and 6th by tracking properties coming up for auction and knowing the neighborhoods. My realtors have been critical in all these transactions and I expect that they'll continue to find properties for me to flip. Currently working on acquiring #7.

    Having said all that, I'm currently also looking for good wholesalers in Chicago to keep things going.

    Cheers

    Larry

  • Multi-family Investor · Spring Hill, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Ken,

    I was in the same boat. ( Southwest suburbs of Chicago). I looked for quite awhile checking properties , talking to realtors, local rehab specialists lol, and pretty much anybody I could. I'm not a big fan of the MLS, because there is never enough room for profit.

    I finally found a house in Plainfield that listed "plumbing issues not passing inspections" the Realtor listing the property never updated his notes. I brought a friend, who happened to be a licensed plumber on the showing with me .

    There were no plumbing issues. There was a cracked shower cartridge in one of the showers. 35 dollars for the cartridge, 50 dollars for the plumber and I closed at 300k. I currently have the house listed at 420k based on other comps. I also paid attorney's fees for a letter giving permission from the bank to make the repair. Always consult your attorney.

    Sometimes, having staying power brings good luck. Never give up. No guts, no glory. Good Luck!!

    Joe

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Ken:

    Here are some suggestions for meetings in the Chicagoland area, which I've copied from another BP member who posted these. He's the industrious one so he gets all the credit.

    John

    In the meantime, I'll be attending every club I can and cold calling some brokers.

    My schedule:

    10/8 - WCRT NW Indiana Sub Group

    10/9 - Midwestrea of Chicago http://www.midwestrea.com/

    10/14 - Chicago Area Real Estate Investors Association

    10/15 - Chicagoland Real Estate Connections Club Meeting

    10/20 - Chicago Creative Investors Association

    11/5 - Oak Park/Chicago Area Real Estate Investors Group

    11/7 - WCRT Main Group http://www.wcrt.org/main.php

    I hope to see some of you there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    12y
    John Hauser thanks for posting that info with the links. It is appreciated.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Larry Smet:
    Hey @Kenneth Goldman
    My first deal I found through the listing agent of an REO. It was in Northlake, IL and I found it on the MLS - can you believe it?? My 2nd was a short sale off the MLS (in Orlando though). 3rd through 6th deals were all in Chicago. 3rd was a traditional sale (pocket listing) that my realtor found - the same realtor that I worked with on the first flip. The 4th - 6th were done by purchasing judicial certs. The 4th through a wholesaler, the 5th and 6th by tracking properties coming up for auction and knowing the neighborhoods. My realtors have been critical in all these transactions and I expect that they'll continue to find properties for me to flip. Currently working on acquiring #7.

    Having said all that, I'm currently also looking for good wholesalers in Chicago to keep things going.

    Cheers

    Larry

    @Larry Smet

    Larry,

    Your advice is wonderful and I am grateful for the insights. I hope you don't mind a few more question and that is how do you go about locating, fixing and flipping properties in different states from where you live. I have only been looking in the neighboring areas to where I live since I am concerned about staying on top of contractors and schedules. Therefore, I would like to know how you manage from afar? How do you also decide which locations to look at? Thanks-Ken

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    Hi @Kenneth Goldman

    The short answer is: I've established a great team in Chicago. Not to overwhelm you but over time you'll want to establish a solid team including at least: realtor(s), contractors, real estate attorney, property inspector and insurance agent. All of my team reports to me independently so I get several different perspectives on properties and areas. My inspector also serves as a project manager for my rehabs. At the end of the day it's the numbers that do the talking (in terms of choosing location), but I stay away from war zones. I find if your realtor specializes in an area that can work really well focusing there. After you've done a deal or two in an area you become more familiar and it gets easier because you have a better expectation of the outcome of any particular deal. For me it's critical to get report backs from all of my team members before acquisition and frequently during the rehab.

    I think it's great if you are able to focus in your own "back yard" - it will make things easier, especially for your first deal(s).

    Keep us posted on your progress.

    Regards

    Larry

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    12y

    A quick note about the list of meetings in Chicagoland that was posted. They are from several different organizations/clubs. Each club has its own identity and rules. Some may work for you and some may not.

    You owe it to yourself to attend them all and figure out which works the best for you and your business. Do not go to one and judge them all based on your experience there.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Larry Smet:
    Hi @Kenneth Goldman
    The short answer is: I've established a great team in Chicago. Not to overwhelm you but over time you'll want to establish a solid team including at least: realtor(s), contractors, real estate attorney, property inspector and insurance agent. All of my team reports to me independently so I get several different perspectives on properties and areas. My inspector also serves as a project manager for my rehabs. At the end of the day it's the numbers that do the talking (in terms of choosing location), but I stay away from war zones. I find if your realtor specializes in an area that can work really well focusing there. After you've done a deal or two in an area you become more familiar and it gets easier because you have a better expectation of the outcome of any particular deal. For me it's critical to get report backs from all of my team members before acquisition and frequently during the rehab.

    I think it's great if you are able to focus in your own "back yard" - it will make things easier, especially for your first deal(s).

    Keep us posted on your progress.

    Regards

    Larry

    @Larry Smet

    Thank you! Great advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.