Philadelphia Multi-Unit - How do I know if it's legal or not?

Philadelphia Multi-Unit - How do I know if it's legal or not?

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes

I am looking at buying a 3 plex in Philly. It's a decent deal, but I'm not sure it's legal.

How can I tell if it's a legal? The philadelphia zoning map doesn't say anything, and according to taxes, it's a single family house. But, it has separate meters for electric and gas.

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Is it in city or the county??

    You need to call the assessors office and building and permits to dig for info.

    If the 3 plex is grandfathered in or was never allowed to begin with then you can't buy based on the seller shown cash flow model because if you will not be allowed to do that you will not make that gross income for rents.

    You need to see if it is even allowed and then if it was remodeled is it up to code and permitted??

  • Real Estate Agent · Silver Coast, Portugal · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I'm an agent/investor here in Philly. If you send me the address I can look it up...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.