Indep. City headaches and potentially moving on from property

Indep. City headaches and potentially moving on from property

Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes

BP,

Looking for advice. I had a problem tenant (now evicted) I didn't place. He had numerous code violations for trashing the lawn on my property. I received notices and a ticket for code violations (never received the ticket just code violations and invoices for the city contractors that "cleaned" the property). I believe Independence is a crooked city for landlords as I paid hundreds of dollars for my PM company to go out 4-5 to clean the property while I was in the process of evicting the tenant. 

Independence has charged me $500 plus in invoices for clean ups as well and won't waive the last invoice for then they "removed trash" while their sheriffs office was waiting (10 window) to evict the tenant. 

I have already spent hundreds in legal fees and trash removal and now more to repair the property for another tenant. My question is do I move on to a more A class property in a more landlord friendly city (currently in a C class property) by selling my current unit, could probably break even. Or fight the city on some ground?

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    All successful real estate investors have some war stories like this.  They happen.  It is not clear if there really is a systemic issue with the city that would make it worth trowing in the towel.

    You didn't complain about them, but why wasn't your property management company handling this?  Evictions shouldn't take that long.  Are they screening correctly?  Did they provide the city an address for violation notices?  Cities that have a landlord registration process typically collect a mailing address for the owner or representative and copies of violation notices go there.  I'd spend some time talking to my PM on how to avoid a repeat of this issue.

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    PM company didn't place the tenant either. Bought the property in April one month into this tenants lease (previous owner had a 2 page lease yes that correct 2 page lease front and back on a single sheet of paper) Should have been a red flag but he stated he collected rent the first month but obviously didn't have a long proof of payment on this tenant (the other unit i.e. duplex did)

    Eviction took too long due to going after the low hanging fruit of non payment to which the tenant got aid. Second eviction took too long with the first lawyer so I forced a change in law firms. 

    PM did everything they could they city (which I think is poorly run even by government entity standards) Just never worked with me even after explaining situation and the tenants clear disrespect for me the PM company and the law/code and lack of human decencies.

    This is my first property and only the second tenant my PM company has had to evict in there decade plus of being in business. And neither of us placed the tenant. Unsure if a decent tenant in place would even make me want to keep dealing with this area 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    so learn from your mistakes instead of of selling!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.