Best State/City for Section 8

Best State/City for Section 8

MARK S KINGPro Member
Investor · NC · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 10 votes

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

10Reply
1,015 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Rochester, MI · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 584 votes
3y

There are various housing committees, grants, and other organizations in and around the city of Detroit. There are many maybe 80% of them will not share much information with investors or landlords, it’s not their job and frankly that’s just extra work for them the case workers. Some of them are rockstars and have a drive in their job, those few that I know have provided me their database of open vouchers that need to be fulfilled and they are having a hard time. One of them calls me every week to get an update on my properties and whether I have any vacant so she can fill. Their rates are very reasonable 1bedroom $1000 2 bedroom $1250 3. Bedroom $1550. But the reason I’ve gotten this information is the upkeep I do with my properties and the case workers love it! They come in on the 1st inspection and it’s passed. On all my section 8 inspection I have my contractor walk with the case worker fixing, replacing or repairing anything they might have a concern about right there as the inspection is going on. If it’s an item that needs time or needs to be picked ip at the store I send the case worker my pick up order information in an hour and stating that the guys are working on it. There is one case worker that blew her mind on my process that she sat down with me to discuss their organization and how they have a tier system of helping people get a place to live, this is where I found her information alone had a database of 7000 people that had approved applications but no place to go. When digging deeper, I notice a lot of landlords would rather take cash tenants and not deal with double inspections with section 8. The way I look at it is the place has already been inspected by the city what’s the difference. There are many benefits with section 8 in order for the tenant to be placed in one of my properties they go through a process with the committee then when living in the property they need to abide by lease rules and keep the property in shape, if major damage is made or neglect to the property by the tenant they may losE their voucher from section 8, so it’s a very good idea to go this route and food for thought you always know your property is up to date safety wise and livable with annually inspections. 

See this reply in the discussion

84 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2024 · 86 posts · 51 votes
    2y

    Hello Mark, 

    I'm a real estate agent in Pennsylvania, specifically concentrating on the Western Pennslyvania market. I've been doing a lot of work with Section 8 housing recently as the Property Management Company I work under has been trying to turn more towards to Section 8 approved housing than standard rentals. The amount of people looking for Section 8 in my area right now is insane! In my experience, if you have a property accepting Section 8 in this area, you can expect to have a renter within the week; granted you market it correctly. 

    I would be happy to provide some more information on my and the other agent's I work with experience with Section 8 in the Western Pennsylvania market if you'd like, but overall I highly recommend considering turning your eye to the Pittsburgh/Allegheny County market right now! 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     So, it's been about a year how many did you get and where ? 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     Hey Samson, I have several S8 properties in Detroit and I'm extremely open with my numbers and performance of those over the years.

    Happy to share if you're interested (or anyone else).

  • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     Hey Samson, I have several S8 properties in Detroit and I'm extremely open with my numbers and performance of those over the years.

    Happy to share if you're interested (or anyone else).

    That would be extremely helpful! If I may ask do you manage your properties yourself or do you have a PM
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     I do that on my show everyday.

  • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     I do that on my show everyday.

    Subscribing rn, lol.
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     Hey Samson, I have several S8 properties in Detroit and I'm extremely open with my numbers and performance of those over the years.

    Happy to share if you're interested (or anyone else).

    That would be extremely helpful! If I may ask do you manage your properties yourself or do you have a PM

     A mix of the two. I self-manage some and have our company's internal PM manage some. 

  • Realtor · Akron, OH · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    Just bought a 4plex in Akron, OH for $115,000. It brings in $3300 a month in rent.

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, as an Ohio Realtor, I would definitely say Ohio is the place to be for investing in real estate. If anyone have any questions, please contact me. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you!

    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Samson Hall, @Maria Bolivar, @Gurleen B., @Gavin Horkheimer

    People, let's be real - there's no FREE LUNCH with Section 8!

    Let's look at some of the info posted here logically:

    1) 7,000 approved S8 voucher holders with nowhere to go
    Highly unlikely to be true. 
    ---Probably also includes the S8 wait list for vouchers since who wouldn't want free rent?
    ---Also, we deal with a LOT of S8 tenants. At least 25% we will NOT rent to because they have a history of causing thousands of dollars of damage to the properties they rent!

    2) The lowest purchase price versus highest S8 rental amount
    You can buy a house for $20k in Detroit and probably several other Midwest cities.
    ---You'll have to spend thousands to bring it up to S8 standards to pass their annual inspection.
    ---They'll be in Class D "ghetto" neighborhoods where it will be difficult to find an S8 voucher holder that wants to live there.
    ---So, yes the numbers will look great on paper, but reality will be way different!
    ---Go to @James Wise, Holton-Wise youtube channel to watch numerous episodes of S8 rentals gone bad!

    Section 8 can be a great TOOL for an investor if used wisely. 

    It is not a solution you can just throw all your money at to get rich quick.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · MI · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dave Brown:

    I've found that the payment standards are sometimes quite a bit higher than what I'm seeing as actual rent for an area.  In these scenarios - does affordable housing tend to go with the actual market rent? Or do they allow closer to what is listed in the payment standard rate?  I'm worried about buying my first section 8 investment - and the rent being much lower than what is advertised on the section 8 payment standard.  thanks! 

    The market-rate housing is made affordable by having a landlord that accepts Housing Choice Vouchers (aka Section 8) and charges a market rent that is below the payment standard.

    Public housing authorities (PHAs) typically set the payment standards based on HUD's fair market rents (FMRs) at the county level of geography. Payment standards are 90% to 110% of FMR unless an exception is granted. A rule change in 2016 requires PHAs in specified metropolitan areas to use small area fair market rents (SAFMRs). Many of the metros discussed in this post, including Detroit, Columbus and Cleveland, will be affected by this change starting in 2025 (link). Therefore, the zip code in which the property is located will determine the payment standard, not the county's FMR.

    As Arsen mentioned and using Detroit, this city is "street to street" with regards to quality/condition, so this rule change could affect your asking rent. Keep an eye on the SAFMRs for your target zip code and see if there are nearby comparables to gauge market rents. Your comps and any adjustments to them for size, condition and features should help you set your rent, at least until you have connections to local committees or housing authority contacts that could provide practice-based guidance (sounds like a great tip from @Arsen Atanasovski).

    It is also worth noting that PHAs undertake Rent Reasonableness studies (link to PDF), which "ensure that rents charged by owners to Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program participants are reasonable. The PHA must compare the rent for the voucher unit to rents for similar unassisted units in the marketplace." This is where I think it's important to improve condition and curb appeal, because that condition/upgrade premium could be used as support for an asking rent that is closer to the payment standard if nearby comps are lower quality and have lower rents.

  • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 198 votes
    2y

    I'm an investor and agent in Western PA (Greater Pittsburgh market). I am biased but I think Pittsburgh is one of the best section 8 markets currently.I've been doing section 8 rentals since 2010 as a property manager. It has had its highs and lows in Western PA. For example, a few years back they were really be stingy with approving for top approval rents because landlords were trying to get top rents but their places were barely passing hability standards so they were approving section 8 but at lower rents. More recently they seem to be just trying to get as many section 8 renters into places as possible. 

    Section 8 here has a predetermined rent amount (max allowance) for each property depending on if it is a house, apartment, townhouse, etc and what utilities the landlord pays versus the tenant. Depending on the areas you choose you can have fantastic cash flow. What @Alyssa Wright stated is correct. If you have a clean, properly marketed unit you can get an approved section 8 tenant within 7-10 days. It does take about 30 days for section 8 to send out an inspector and approve the unit for move-in but all in all it can be a pretty quick process. They have actually shut down new section 8 applicants for people who want to get on section 8 because there are so many existing renters who are looking for housing and so few landlords that want to do it. Because of this, it isn't uncommon for a section 8 tenant to move into a unit and stay 3, 5, 7 years or longer. 


    Hope that helps!

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Arsen Atanasovski:

    Detroit hands down!


     Is Detroit section 8 still doing well? I heard they arent paying their landlords. Is this true?

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Jackson:

    Just bought a 4plex in Akron, OH for $115,000. It brings in $3300 a month in rent.


     where did you find the listing?

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     Hey Samson, I have several S8 properties in Detroit and I'm extremely open with my numbers and performance of those over the years.

    Happy to share if you're interested (or anyone else).


     Hey Travis, can we set up some time to chat? Text message? I am interested in investing in detroit

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Oliver Martinez:
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @Samson Hall:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.


     I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses


     Hey Samson, I have several S8 properties in Detroit and I'm extremely open with my numbers and performance of those over the years.

    Happy to share if you're interested (or anyone else).


     Hey Travis, can we set up some time to chat? Text message? I am interested in investing in detroit


     Absolutely! I'll shoot you a DM with my info.

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Oliver Martinez:
    Quote from @Arsen Atanasovski:

    Detroit hands down!


     Is Detroit section 8 still doing well? I heard they arent paying their landlords. Is this true?


     Yes, they are still paying their landlords.

    I have several S8 tenants in Detroit. Payments like clockwork every month.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Oliver Martinez please define "well"...

    Local Housing Commissions are still paying on time for the most part. Once in awhile, some internal person makes a mistake and there is a slight delay.

    The bigger problem is screening S8 tenants to get one that pays THEIR part of the rent on time and takes decent care of the property.

    We just had eviction court today with a tenant not paying their rent portion AND deliberately causing damages, so their home failed the S8 inspection. Fortunately for us, we require our ServiceTechs to video their repairs, which we were able to show in court. 

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @Oliver Martinez please define "well"...

    Local Housing Commissions are still paying on time for the most part. Once in awhile, some internal person makes a mistake and there is a slight delay.

    The bigger problem is screening S8 tenants to get one that pays THEIR part of the rent on time and takes decent care of the property.

    We just had eviction court today with a tenant not paying their rent portion AND deliberately causing damages, so their home failed the S8 inspection. Fortunately for us, we require our ServiceTechs to video their repairs, which we were able to show in court. 


     You and I both are aware what its like working in the lower income areas. Its ALL about screening. I have had sec 8 tenants for years and years. Most of them keep the props in better condition then cash tenants, as they are aware they can " loose their free ride "
    Keep crushing it 

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, I am an Ohio Realtor and interested in investing in Ohio that would be a great choice. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank You!


    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Not sure there is a BEST , however I just got 875 for a 2 br all in 60k, and 850 for 1 br in ,my apartment building in East Cleveland, so 20% net caps pretty good

  • Realtor · Akron, OH · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Not sure there is a BEST , however I just got 875 for a 2 br all in 60k, and 850 for 1 br in ,my apartment building in East Cleveland, so 20% net caps pretty good


     You should be able to get a lot more than $875 for a 2 bedroom S8 property.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Jackson:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @MARK S KING:

    Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!


     Not sure there is a BEST , however I just got 875 for a 2 br all in 60k, and 850 for 1 br in ,my apartment building in East Cleveland, so 20% net caps pretty good


     You should be able to get a lot more than $875 for a 2 bedroom S8 property.

    Not on Dove Ave, but this was last year. I now should be able to get it to 950ish as I got 950 for a 2 br top floor duplex in N Collinwood . Hey not complaining I was all in under 50k, so great ROI,

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, I am an Ohio Realtor and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, as a Realtor, I would definitely tell you that Ohio is a great place to invest in real estate. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.