Do you invest in SFH or MFH, or both? Why?

Do you invest in SFH or MFH, or both? Why?

Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes

Hello all,

I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


So let me propose a few questions:

If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

Cheers!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Jared Trindade:

Hello all,

I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


So let me propose a few questions:

If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

Cheers!


 Both as long as the numbers make sense. Always hire a PM so its hands off

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:

    Hello all,

    I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

    I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


    So let me propose a few questions:

    If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

    If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

    Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

    For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

    MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

    This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

    Cheers!


     Both as long as the numbers make sense. Always hire a PM so its hands off

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:

    Hello all,

    I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

    I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


    So let me propose a few questions:

    If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

    If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

    Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

    For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

    MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

    This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

    Cheers!


     Both as long as the numbers make sense. Always hire a PM so its hands off


     Did you start using PMs from the beginning or did you phase into that as you scaled?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y

    SFR:

    Greater cashflow, greater appreciation, tenants stay longer (I average 5-10 years so far), and no tenant vs tenant complaints. When I sell, I can sell 1/12th of my 12 units, it’s not 4 or 12 out of 12, and I can sell the 1/12th that I want, the bad 1/12th. Plus, I’m selling to an owner occupant (90%+ of the market) willing to pay for a home in a great neighborhood. I’m not selling to an investor looking for the best possible deal among me and all my competitors. 

    Ps. I was “gifted” all these benefits. When I started I wanted properties less than 10 years old with tile roofs and stucco siding so I would have “zero” exterior maintenance for the next 20 years. And that’s not a thing in Vegas small multi. 

    But “Now you know…” :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I used to only buy MF but have started buying SFH as well.

    So let me propose a few questions:

    If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management? For me, yes. I've found that MF in my market tends to have a better cash flow. This is partly because I buy value-add and there's way more value-add value add that's worth buying VS SF value-add - a lot of SF in my market that's C-class isn't worth it. 

    If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?  Neither. I invest for cash flow. I tend to buy value-add. 

    Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?  Of the MF I've bought all required repairs to varying degrees as well as needed updates to maximize cash flow. 

    For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point? I started with MF.

    MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift? I started with MF. Bought a small portfolio that had a SF home and was more open to buying SF - not having to pay the water/sewer/trash is quite appealing, I admit. Though in this hotter market it's been harder to buy SF as the competition is people who want to buy and live in the home (that competition was and still is there). 

    This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why.

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:

    Hello all,

    I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

    I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


    So let me propose a few questions:

    If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

    If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

    Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

    For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

    MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

    This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

    Cheers!


     Both as long as the numbers make sense. Always hire a PM so its hands off


     Did you start using PMs from the beginning or did you phase into that as you scaled?


     I my team handled it, then as we grew to over 100 doors we started our own PM CO, 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I buy if it's a good deal, wether it's MF, SF, commercial, land, a car. Don't isolate your investment strategy to one asset type. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:

    Hello all,

    I 'd like to pool around BP to see what people are pulling the trigger on right now. MFHs, SFHs, or both? Why?

    I know many people invest in variety of ways, that may include one or both, or gradually phasing into one over time. 


    So let me propose a few questions:

    If you are investing in MFH is it because of the cash flow and relative proximity of doors? Therefore easier management?

    If you are investing in SFH is it because you are flipping, or BRRRRing out as fast as you can?

    Are MFH often time requiring repairs, or are they relatively turnkey?

    For SFH are you thinking about moving into MFH at some point?

    MFH's did you start with SFH and shift strategies? Where did the mindset shift?

    This is intended to be a discussion, I am not asking in regards to my personal investments at this time, just curious to know what everyone is doing and why. 

    Cheers!


     Both.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.