I am currently in the middle of a deal of buying a a SW 1974 mobile home. Looks like a really good condition home already on wheels to be delivered to my county here in Nevada. I plan to buy a 4400 sq ft ($10,900) land in a mobile park with electricity/water ready.
My question is if the MH I’m getting is worth it- it’s selling for $9900 excl delivery costs.
While the inside looks good - there’s a lot to be remodeled. Question is - is it worth remodeling everything (gutting kitchen and bathroom) and repaint etc … and keep it all in a budget of $5-7k on top of the initial costs (MH+land)
*ultimately is this a good deal, ? Surrounding MH in area are selling for $100k-$150 with the higher being DW
Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
3y
@Sheryl Valencia - Investing in or flipping a trailer can be a great investment. I will leave the number crunching to you.
Given the age of the home, I would be sure that your county supports it being moved to a new location. In some cases, once a trailer reaches a certain age, if it is removed from one lot, they will not reconnect the utilities when it arrives at a new site. When it is for farm use, then this usually isn't an issue, but if it is any other application, I would research to make sure if you buy this home and move it, that you can reconnect the utilities at the new site.
I am basing this concern on things I have encountered in NC, so there may be zero cause for concern in Nevada.
Best of luck on your learning and investing journey! Keep us posted on the deal.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
@Sheryl Valencia You may want to talk to the park manager for advice on the remodel. Usually, park managers are in the know regarding the market values of the homes they manage in their parks. It would depend on what buyers are looking for (if selling) or what renters look for (if renting) in a home in that particular park. You don't want to under renovate or over renovate it. Usually, I tend to stay in line with what the market is looking for when fixing up homes in the community. Hope that helps!