Memphis, TN - Lender

Memphis, TN - Lender

Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 16 votes

Hello,

I'm interested in helping my nephew purchase a duplex to live in during Grad school while he attends U of Memphis - Fogelman. It would be his first investment, and I would be the co-signer. 

I need to locate a lender in Memphis that might offer this type of loan. Any suggestions? 

3Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Jenni SmithPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · Memphis, TN · Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 20 votes
3y

Hi @Geoffrey Robinson I know multiple people who have used @Walter Jones to help them find properties. Not sure about a live in duplex but working with him is great. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    3y

    Hi Geoffrey,

    If you are seeking and investment loan product for you and your nephew - I would recommend that you become familiar with DSCR loans. They are asset based investment loan programs that don't require traditional underwrites or even income. I would mention that you need at least 20% for the Down Payment. However, you avoid 90% of the red tape from other loan programs out there. Good luck!

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Geoffrey Robinson:

    Hello,

    I'm interested in helping my nephew purchase a duplex to live in during Grad school while he attends U of Memphis - Fogelman. It would be his first investment, and I would be the co-signer. 

    I need to locate a lender in Memphis that might offer this type of loan. Any suggestions? 


    DSCR Loans arent going to work here if your nephew is going to live in it - what you are looking for is a conventional or non-QM "house hacking" loan which would allow him to put little down, live in one unit and rent the other

  • Lender · Denton, TX · Member since 2023 · 349 posts · 80 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Geoffrey Robinson:

    Hello,

    I'm interested in helping my nephew purchase a duplex to live in during Grad school while he attends U of Memphis - Fogelman. It would be his first investment, and I would be the co-signer. 

    I need to locate a lender in Memphis that might offer this type of loan. Any suggestions? 

     Hello Geoffrey,

    Nice to make your acquaintance on here. If you and your nephew are going to apply together with you as a co-signer, an FHA loan would be a great way to go. While you can't have multiple FHA loans(if you already have one currently) if you are co-borrowing it is possible. However your nephew will need to stay in the property at least for a year.

    FHA loans allow you to put down 3.5% down with the condition that you(or the principal borrower) must stay in the house for a minimum of 1 year.

    Anyway, if you can do an FHA, I would recommend it most. FHA can be done with 3.5% downpayment. FHA loans are also forgivable of higher debt to income ratios.

    So you could go FHA, conventional.

    If you can go FHA, best way to go

  • Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I also need a realtor for Memphis. Any suggestions?

  • Jenni SmithPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Memphis, TN · Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    Hi @Geoffrey Robinson I know multiple people who have used @Walter Jones to help them find properties. Not sure about a live in duplex but working with him is great. 

  • Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.