The neighbors of some family of mine are selling a SFH, maybe worth around $400k if it was fixed up, but is in bad shape due to foundation issues. Currently getting bids off the engineer's report to estimate foundation costs, but my problem is I can't find any information on what to offer. The bid starts at $1 but is not a foreclosure, sellers are just picking the highest offer. First time ever seeing this non-foreclosure, and with more than likely extensive repairs needed, I'm wondering if anyone has participated in a bid like this? Should I even use an agent?
Would you throw $ 10,000 at it, or actually try and pay the price the house would be worth minus repair costs ($200k maybe)? It's cash only if that helps.
The neighbors of some family of mine are selling a SFH, maybe worth around $400k if it was fixed up, but is in bad shape due to foundation issues. Currently getting bids off the engineer's report to estimate foundation costs, but my problem is I can't find any information on what to offer. The bid starts at $1 but is not a foreclosure, sellers are just picking the highest offer. First time ever seeing this non-foreclosure, and with more than likely extensive repairs needed, I'm wondering if anyone has participated in a bid like this? Should I even use an agent?
Would you throw $ 10,000 at it, or actually try and pay the price the house would be worth minus repair costs ($200k maybe)? It's cash only if that helps.
We have seen this on properties that cannot get financing (we have actually done it). You can throw $10k at it but also recognize they do not need to accept the offer even if its the high offer. I would put an offer in that is fair and reasonable. The other option is to throw an offer and say you will bid $5,000 more than the highest offer not to exceed $200,000....
The neighbors of some family of mine are selling a SFH, maybe worth around $400k if it was fixed up, but is in bad shape due to foundation issues. Currently getting bids off the engineer's report to estimate foundation costs, but my problem is I can't find any information on what to offer. The bid starts at $1 but is not a foreclosure, sellers are just picking the highest offer. First time ever seeing this non-foreclosure, and with more than likely extensive repairs needed, I'm wondering if anyone has participated in a bid like this? Should I even use an agent?
Would you throw $ 10,000 at it, or actually try and pay the price the house would be worth minus repair costs ($200k maybe)? It's cash only if that helps.
We have seen this on properties that cannot get financing (we have actually done it). You can throw $10k at it but also recognize they do not need to accept the offer even if its the high offer. I would put an offer in that is fair and reasonable. The other option is to throw an offer and say you will bid $5,000 more than the highest offer not to exceed $200,000....
Hello @Carly Peterman,
Flipping can be a great way to make or lose money. It all depends on selling the renovated property at the expected price, within the expected time frame, completing the renovation on time and on budget, and buying the property at the right price.
In this post, I will cover some considerations for profitable flipping and demonstrate how to calculate the maximum price you can pay.
I often come across posts about how profitable flipping can be. However, I personally see flipping success as being similar to gambling in Las Vegas. You rarely hear about someone losing everything in Las Vegas. Instead, you only hear about the people who made money. I believe the same principle applies to flipping. Individuals without experience are almost certain to lose money.
Some important considerations.
Below is the basic formula for determining the maximum price you can pay:
Below is an example showing how you would determine the maximum price you can pay for a property.
Cost/price components :
Next, collect the costs and hold times.
If the probable sale price after renovation is $200,000 and the costs, not including carrying costs, are $94,000, I will assume that the maximum purchase price must be less than $100,000 for estimating carrying costs.
Many flip properties are not financeable so I will assume the property was purchased with cash so there is no monthly debt service. And, I will assume the closing costs on a cash purchase were $2,000.
We can now estimate the monthly hold cost:
I estimated 8 months total hold time so my carrying cost is 8 x $409 ≈ $3,272.
Updating the cost list:
Based on our assumptions, we now know the maximum price we can pay for the property: $200,000 - $97,272 = $102,728. If you pay any more, you are likely to lose money.
Take the time to thoroughly understand the property, the renovation required, and the resources you'll need before making an offer. Do not assume that bidding low guarantees profitability. Some properties may cost more to renovate than their post-renovation market value.