Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
I'm considering renting my home and moving. I have a detached garage apartment that I have rented via Airbnb. Can I rent to separate parties? The utilities are included with the house so I know that will likely need a separate meter. The driveway would be shared as well but the yard would likely be separated by chain link fence.
Any benefit to renting as one unit and letting the tenant do Airbnb for the apartment? How would you price it?
I have never done this with an Airbnb but, I have done this several times with small multifamily houses. I typically do not offer any electrical to the garages (except lights), and I have the garage run off the owner's meter.
The main benefit is that you are typically able to achieve higher garage rents when you are not renting a garage to a tenant who is living at the property.
Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
2y
I should have explained better. I was considering renting my home and renting my garage as separate leases (not STR but long term leases). Is that problematic with different tenants with different leases sharing driveway? Should the garage parking be only for the garage tenant?
It shouldn't be a problem if you are clear to the people in the main house what you are doing and clear to both as to who has access to what. Where you can run into problems is if your STR guests are problematic. It will mean a lot of people coming and going between guests and cleaners, and that may affect who rents the main house. Parking may also be an issue along with use of the yard. I'd pay the tenants in the main house a set amount each month to cover the utilities for the STR.
How far away are you moving and are you able to keep a close eye on the STR?
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
@Lee K., as noted above, this is not an issue so long as you disclose to the primary renter that the garage space is an Airbnb. Depending on the layout of the home/neighborhood, I would recommend that the primary renter only gets access to the driveway and that all Airbnb guests will have to park on the street. This will mitigate potential parking issues and should give the primary renter some peace of mind. Given the scenario, you may need to lower rent to incentivize prospective tenants for the main dwelling.
I'm considering renting my home and moving. I have a detached garage apartment that I have rented via Airbnb. Can I rent to separate parties? The utilities are included with the house so I know that will likely need a separate meter. The driveway would be shared as well but the yard would likely be separated by chain link fence.
Any benefit to renting as one unit and letting the tenant do Airbnb for the apartment? How would you price it?
States, counties, towns and subdivision/HOA CC&R's vary on whether this is allowed. Check locally to see if this is allowed. Then also read your CC&R's. Or ask a local expert you want to work with and have them do the legwork.