Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes

I am in escrow on a foreclosure that fixed up would be about a 200K property. I can get it for about 145K but it needs a few things as its a 50 year old home in a great location. This isn't my first rental, but I want to run these numbers by people to see if it makes sense to everyone else. 

Rent would be $1600. (Property manager takes 10%)

Rehab would be:

45K for new floors, paint, light fixtures, appliances, some plumbing and miscellaneous (one new window, etc) plus new HVAC and ROOF. I usually do some of the work myself such as demo and painting and installing appliances and basic wood work and trim. 

9K Closing costs (includes a right of redemption bond and 1 point to lower interest rate to about 7%) with payments around $1000. 

By the time I pay the property manager 10% there's about 400+ cash flow a month, not counting for vacancies or major cap ex (which would be taken care of initially with new roof, hvac, and water heater, flooring, etc). If I refi then I should be able to get about 75% of the value back out and walk away with around 41K minus fees and maybe lower interest rate. 

Does this all sound good?

Thanks so much!

0Reply
209 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Texas (DFW & West Texas) · Member since 2023 · 86 posts · 55 votes
2y

Ah hold-- on problem here. OOS investor doing 45k worth of rehab. I would tread very carefully-- personally I would pass given the numbers and that you are doing it out of state. Work with local wholesalers and keep underwriting until you find something with a larger spread. Sometimes the best deals are the ones we walk away from.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ParkerBusiness Member
    Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 669 posts · 536 votes
    2y

    I just signed a deal on one 30 minutes ago in 36109 B area.  Purchase 109k, light rehab 5k.

    Will rent for $1,100 -1,150. ARV is 135,000.

    MGM Property Pros LLC
    View Page
  • Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Greg Parker:

    I just signed a deal on one 30 minutes ago in 36109 B area.  Purchase 109k, light rehab 5k.

    Will rent for $1,100 -1,150. ARV is 135,000.

    Right on, I have 2 over in foresthills, Great area!
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Would be more helpful if you input info into one of the BP Calculators and posted that here for feedback!

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.