How does one circumvent an owner occupied clause on REO's

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Sometimes I wonder if posts like these are plants by DAs or AGs. But to give them credit, I think their posts would be more creative and comprehensive.

Don't circumvent an owner occupant clause. Done.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y
    Everyone calm down he is asking a simple question. It requires a simple answer. You lie and deal with consequences states above
  • Investor · Mandeville, LA · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Not bringing this back up for my own interest in doing so, but have a thought. I am going to look at an REO property today, C class area, that needs a lot of work according to the listing agent. If I do decide to make an offer the investor offer period opens up tomorrow morning. I have been told, not values obviously, that there are already 2 cash owner occupied offers. Listing is 80k.

    My question is, who even has 60, 70, or 80k in cash that is willing to live in this neighborhood for a year and put in 20k-30k in repairs? Do investors paying cash step around the OO offer period since they are not going to be checked by the lender?

    Sounds like a flipper getting in early offers to me, but i could be wrong.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Seth Cunningham

      good questions and points.. I have no doubt there are those that do this.. but they are risking federal crimes... one might want to just follow this one.. and see who ends up owning it ( check public records) then see who ends up living in it... easy enough.. the that will answer your question.. and if you think some local investor is not playing by the rules you can follow your conscience on that one.  There are plenty of investor Realtor lender networks that got wrung up and are in jail today trying to boop the banks.

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    @Spencer Simon@Jay Hinrichs

    I think Jay gave your best option. At least one of the owners has to live in the house. You could put a friend or relative on the title and have them live in the home. Of course there is going to be some risk if they refuse to release their claim at some point.

  • Investor · Mandeville, LA · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Thanks for the quick response. Whether I end up putting an offer on it, I think I will keep up with it just to see. Not sure what I'd do with the information if it comes out how I suspect.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Seth Cunningham

      as a NMLS licensed mortgage banker  and a licensed RE broker I would have a duty... that's what I know

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.