Help! Cloudy Title on Property

Help! Cloudy Title on Property

Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes

Off market property that sellers have agreed to sell to me. But the parents divorced and the dad put his share of the property into a trust that was to go to the 2 sons. Then the father died and the mother died. Now I am trying to buy the property but the title company is saying the mother's interest should have gone through probate. The sons say they never did probate because the fathers Trust deeded the property to them. California. Any way to deal with this? What about a quitclaim deed from each son and then a quite title? Would that work??? Help if you can! Never had some complex title issues before. 

0Reply
66 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    Pretty common for divorce to create an unexpected probate requirement.

    Trust the title company... open an estate, have a PR/executor appointed, convey the interest out of the estate to the heirs or directly to the buyer.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
    • Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:

      Pretty common for divorce to create an unexpected probate requirement.

      Trust the title company... open an estate, have a PR/executor appointed, convey the interest out of the estate to the heirs or directly to the buyer.

      I have an attorney checking it out. Do you think it might be possible to buy the kids interest out with quitclaims and then quite title action?
    • Tom GimerBusiness Member
      DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Sam Booth:
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:

      Pretty common for divorce to create an unexpected probate requirement.

      Trust the title company... open an estate, have a PR/executor appointed, convey the interest out of the estate to the heirs or directly to the buyer.

      I have an attorney checking it out. Do you think it might be possible to buy the kids interest out with quitclaims and then quite title action?

      I would think not (but I'm also not a CA attorney). Only the administrator (or the court via order under certain circumstances) can convey an interest in real property that needs to be probated, such as that of a deceased tenant in common like this ex-wife.

      Gimer Law516 Reviews
    • Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:
      Quote from @Sam Booth:
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:

      Pretty common for divorce to create an unexpected probate requirement.

      Trust the title company... open an estate, have a PR/executor appointed, convey the interest out of the estate to the heirs or directly to the buyer.

      I have an attorney checking it out. Do you think it might be possible to buy the kids interest out with quitclaims and then quite title action?

      I would think not (but I'm also not a CA attorney). Only the administrator (or the court via order under certain circumstances) can convey an interest in real property that needs to be probated, such as that of a deceased tenant in common like this ex-wife.


       The property is also under foreclosure. So I was trying to figure out a quick way to handle it. I will see what the attorney comes up with. Thanks for your input though!

    • Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:
      Quote from @Sam Booth:
      Quote from @Tom Gimer:

      Pretty common for divorce to create an unexpected probate requirement.

      Trust the title company... open an estate, have a PR/executor appointed, convey the interest out of the estate to the heirs or directly to the buyer.

      I have an attorney checking it out. Do you think it might be possible to buy the kids interest out with quitclaims and then quite title action?

      I would think not (but I'm also not a CA attorney). Only the administrator (or the court via order under certain circumstances) can convey an interest in real property that needs to be probated, such as that of a deceased tenant in common like this ex-wife.

      For what it's worth, one son is on title with the deceased mom. Maybe that would change things?
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    No.

    Either bid at the auction or work out a way to reinstate, obtain the living owners' interests, and probate the final interest.

    Or find a cleaner deal. There could easily be more liens than just a first mortgage.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.