Property inheritance Advice

Property inheritance Advice

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi,

I'm looking to connect with experienced Buffalo, NY investors who would be willing to give me some perspective on a family real estate situation involving two properties.
Both properties are currently part of a family trust situation, and I'm trying to determine the best long-term strategy rather than simply selling assets without looking at the bigger picture.
An important part of the situation is my mother. One of our goals/requirements is to get her into another 3-bedroom ranch-style home in the Buffalo area that better fits what she wants going forward.
I'm trying to determine how experienced investors would approach the properties and the available equity:
Keep and rehab one or both properties?
Sell one property to help fund the ranch and retain the other?
Rehab and refinance to access equity?
Convert one or both into cash-flowing rentals?
Use a combination of the properties/equity to acquire the ranch while preserving as much of the family's real estate as possible?
Is there a creative-finance or partnership structure I'm overlooking?
My larger goal isn't just completing these two transactions. I'm trying to use the real estate we already have as the foundation for building a long-term family real estate portfolio rather than unnecessarily liquidating assets.
I'd especially like to connect with investors who have experience with Buffalo properties, inherited/trust-held real estate, BRRRR/value-add projects, private financing, or creative financing.
I'm happy to provide the property details, estimated values, rehab information, photos, and numbers privately to anyone willing to look at the situation.
I'm primarily looking for advice and experienced eyes on the strategy, but I'm also open to building relationships with investors, lenders, contractors, or potential partners if there's a structure that makes sense.
If these were your family's properties, what would you analyze first before deciding what to keep, sell, refinance, or leverage?

0Reply
192 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 112 votes
    1mo

    @Justin Love this sounds like an intriguing puzzle and the kind of thing I like to kick around with people. Happy to have a chat anytime! I'll be up front that I'm not as experienced with trust situations, but sounds like an opportunity to learn about unforeseen opportunities and angles. Shoot me a note anytime through DM then we can connect offline.

  • Jacob CamhiBusiness Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 132 posts · 40 votes
    1mo

    before thinking about brrrr or creative finance, the real first step is nailing down your mom's exact housing needs and the trust's overall financial picture. without those two clear points, any strategy is just a guess.

    i'd start by getting a crystal-clear budget for that 3-bedroom ranch, knowing what it costs to buy outright and what her specific must-haves are.

    then, figure out the actual current market value of both trust properties, along with any existing mortgage balances or liens. 

    once you have those numbers, you can easily map out if selling one outright covers the ranch with cash left over, or if a strategic refinance on one would achieve the same while letting you keep the other for future portfolio growth.

    have you had both trust properties appraised yet, and do you know what a 3-bedroom ranch goes for in her desired buffalo neighborhood today?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.