with Real Estate Investors

with Real Estate Investors

John NixPro Member
Belen, NM · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 0 votes

My wife and I live in Belen, New Mexico, where we currently own and operate a four-unit apartment property and a single-family rental home. We are now looking to expand our portfolio by acquiring larger multifamily properties.

I have identified a couple of apartment opportunities in the Albuquerque area that appear to have strong potential. Based on my preliminary analysis, the income and expenses seem capable of supporting the purchase, necessary repairs, and long-term operation of the properties.

My main challenge is learning how to connect with potential investors who may be interested in providing capital for the down payment, closing costs, renovations, and operating reserves. I would also like guidance on how to build genuine, long-term relationships with investors, present opportunities professionally, and structure agreements that are fair and beneficial to everyone involved.

0Reply
417 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 305 votes
1mo

I’d separate “finding investors” from proving the deal.

Before you start looking for capital, take one property all the way through underwriting: T12, rent roll, repairs, debt terms, reserves, downside case, and exactly how much equity is needed and what it buys.

Investors aren’t really investing in “Albuquerque multifamily.” They’re investing in a specific deal and your ability to execute it.

I’d also get securities counsel involved before you start broadly soliciting passive investors or promising terms. Once you’re pooling other people’s money, there are rules around how that capital can be raised.

The best investor relationships usually start before you need the check. Show people how you think, how you underwrite, and how you operate what you already own.

Then when you bring them a deal, the conversation is about the opportunity, not whether they trust you yet.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2016 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    1mo

    Hi @John Nix

    I have a lot of experience in what you mentioned at the end of your message. I'll connect with you directly.

    Jens

    • John NixPro Member
      OP
      Belen, NM · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jens Nielsen:

      Hi @John Nix

      I have a lot of experience in what you mentioned at the end of your message. I'll connect with you directly.

      Jens


    • John NixPro Member
      OP
      Belen, NM · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jens Nielsen:

      Hi @John Nix

      I have a lot of experience in what you mentioned at the end of your message. I'll connect with you directly.

      Jens


       That would be great!!! I look foward to hearing about your experience. 

  • Jacob CamhiBusiness Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 132 posts · 40 votes
    1mo

    the biggest mistake folks make when looking for money partners is asking for capital before having a truly compelling deal ready. it's a lot easier to find money when you have a specific property under contract.

    first, focus on getting one of those albuquerque apartment opportunities under a solid purchase agreement. this makes it real and shows you're serious.

    then, put together a simple, clear presentation. lay out the property's current numbers, your plan for renovations, the projected income, and a straightforward way for both you and your money partner to make a good return.

    finally, start with your existing network – friends, family, local business owners – or attend albuquerque real estate meetups. always lead with the deal and what it offers them.

    have you already put together a basic pro forma or summary for one of these specific albuquerque deals?

    • John NixPro Member
      OP
      Belen, NM · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1mo
      Quote from @Jacob Camhi:

      the biggest mistake folks make when looking for money partners is asking for capital before having a truly compelling deal ready. it's a lot easier to find money when you have a specific property under contract.

      first, focus on getting one of those albuquerque apartment opportunities under a solid purchase agreement. this makes it real and shows you're serious.

      then, put together a simple, clear presentation. lay out the property's current numbers, your plan for renovations, the projected income, and a straightforward way for both you and your money partner to make a good return.

      finally, start with your existing network – friends, family, local business owners – or attend albuquerque real estate meetups. always lead with the deal and what it offers them.

      have you already put together a basic pro forma or summary for one of these specific 

      Thank you, Jacob. That makes a lot of sense. I have started putting together a preliminary pro forma for one of the Albuquerque opportunities, although I still need the updated rent roll and operating numbers.
      My goal right now is to begin building relationships with potential investment partners so that, when the right property is under contract, I already have interested contacts who understand my strategy. I want to structure each opportunity so it works well for both the investors and me, with realistic projections, clear risks, and a fair return structure.
      I agree that the specific deal needs to come first, and I plan to approach potential partners only when I have a strong opportunity supported by updated financials and a clear business plan.

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 305 votes
    1mo

    I’d separate “finding investors” from proving the deal.

    Before you start looking for capital, take one property all the way through underwriting: T12, rent roll, repairs, debt terms, reserves, downside case, and exactly how much equity is needed and what it buys.

    Investors aren’t really investing in “Albuquerque multifamily.” They’re investing in a specific deal and your ability to execute it.

    I’d also get securities counsel involved before you start broadly soliciting passive investors or promising terms. Once you’re pooling other people’s money, there are rules around how that capital can be raised.

    The best investor relationships usually start before you need the check. Show people how you think, how you underwrite, and how you operate what you already own.

    Then when you bring them a deal, the conversation is about the opportunity, not whether they trust you yet.

    • John NixPro Member
      OP
      Belen, NM · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1mo

      Thank you. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I already have a basic understanding of the importance of having securities counsel involved, particularly when it comes to properly structuring an investment and making sure investors meet the applicable accreditation requirements.

      One of my main goals right now is to continue building strong, long-term relationships with potential investors. I’m not looking to simply raise capital for one transaction—I want to build relationships with people who may be a good fit for future opportunities as Nix Capital Partners grows.

      I also have a solid understanding of the underwriting process. I've built an underwriting calculator on my laptop that allows me to analyze a potential acquisition in detail, including operating expenses, financing, taxes, rent rolls, T-12 financials, NOI, cash flow, and other important deal metrics.

      I’ve also learned that here in the Albuquerque market, property taxes need to be underwritten very carefully because the tax burden can increase significantly after a sale depending on the new purchase price. I try to account for those types of adjustments rather than relying only on the seller’s historical expenses.

      At this point, I’m continuing to learn, strengthen my underwriting, and build relationships with experienced people in the industry. Any insight or experience you’re willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

  • Hayden GrayPro Member
    Lender · Colorado / New Mexico · Member since 2024 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    1mo

    I live just a couple hours north of ABQ and have been looking at 8-12 unit apartment complexes. Seems like some good opportunities especially for a major metro area in the west -- what did you have in mind specifically? 

  • Banker · MA · Member since 2026 · 120 posts · 32 votes
    4w

    John's point about proving the deal first is right, and I'd add one thing: your existing portfolio is your strongest credibility asset right now, and most people in your position never actually document it. Pull together your actual operating numbers on the four-unit and the SFR, occupancy history, how you handled a vacancy or a repair, what your NOI looks like. A one-page operating summary on what you already own tells a prospective investor more than any pitch deck about a new deal will. When you bring them the Albuquerque opportunity, they're not just evaluating the pro forma, they're evaluating whether you can execute it.

    James Driscoll

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.