Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
This is mostly for the women on BP, but, it is wise for men too. There's an Arkansas Realtor that went to show a property and hasn't been heard from since. Missing Realtor
As an agent over the years I have heard these stories before, and they are always horrific. Here's some advice especially for those in rural areas or rough neighborhoods:
1. NEVER go meet someone at a property if you haven't met them in person before.
2. ALWAYS have someone else go with you to meet people at a property.
3. Don't hold Open Houses alone.
4. Have some type of GPS tracking device, OTHER THAN YOUR PHONE!! It's a complicated process for Police to be able to track your phone without permission from YOU, not your spouse, parent, etc. There are many options that are inexpensive GPS TILE
5. If you're not opposed to it, get a concealed weapons permit and carry a gun! If not a gun, carry taser or ?
6. If nothing else is available, make sure you have your keys with you, press the faub and set off an alarm, maybe someone will hear it!
7. If you MUST go alone, let someone know where you are going, and check in (from your car) when you arrive safely maybe text a license plate number of the person you are meeting with.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
12y
Number 5 ONLY if you are going to practice diligently with the weapon so it becomes second nature like tying your shoes.
If you buy stuff thinking it will save you and it collects dust without practice then forget it. Actually the criminal will have more practice then you and use it against you.
Weapons are NOT just knives and guns.
Your belt, jewelry, keys, pens etc. can all be deadly weapons if you know how to use them. Hard spots on the ground, corners of buildings, rail bannisters, etc. Make use of your environment and what you have to survive.
Regular items such as guns and knives are classified as weapons and as such are not allowed in many venues around where you live. Learn how to use your body first as it never leaves you. Then unconventional weapons that you are still likely to have with you at all times. Last the weapons you can't use or train with as often that are not allowed in most venues.
Decades in street self defense and the martial arts.
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 29 votes
9y
Once, I did security for a Police station. The officer had his K-9 in the back of the car. If he was ever in danger, all he had to do is press the button on his belt or chest, and a linear motor would open the door and his k-9 would come out of the car to save him. I guess something similar could be used for citizens like woman. This wont work though, if the guy shuts the door before he attacks the woman. Best is to have a male agent be with her.
Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
9y
The difference is this: this agent was not expecting attack, nor will most. In home invasions you have a few minutes... in a situation ESPECIALLY when a female is showing the house, if you have a gun and the person you are showing it to is a preditor, .....yes....that gun will be used against you...and yes again....for safety sake...
Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
9y
I have to say that I can understand your perspective. I was quite surprised when this was taught in a safety class by my local Realtors association..... taught by a law enforcement officer. He actually polled us by a show of hands on whether we should or should not carry a gun to a showing...I was of the opinion as most of the rest of us that we should..... we were wrong, and I saw his point after he presented different scenarios and facts. I'm not sure I have a direct link, this was a class 2 years ago. If I find it, I will gladly forward it. In the meantime, that's in the end an individual decision?, we can agree to disagree and support safety by following things like not letting the person we a showing a property follow behind us into rooms...I'm amazed at how many people walk into the house and let a stranger follow behind them from room to room. ...
Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
9y
It's not a matter of agreeing to disagree. What you are posting is a made up opinion, not a fact. You are welcome to post whatever opinion you want, but do no present it as fact if it is not. You have no evidence what so ever to back up what you say because it is not in any way a fact. You are expressing the opinion of one single person, and most with any firearms knowledge would disagree with that opinion.
Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 61 votes
9y
I'm not an agent but I ALWAYS carry a loaded .45 on me except where prohibited by law. I got a state issued Concealed Weapons Permit. I've been carrying for over 10 years and luckily, I never had to pull my gun..
Real Estate Agent · Atco, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
9y
That is a horrible and frightening story! In addition to all these great tips, my broker reminds us to always allow customers to go through the house first (never turn your back on them), and never enter a bedroom or basement with the client - always have an out. Same goes for the open house, they walk in front, all access doors are unlocked. Also, I schedule all my showings through the MLS and note the client's name, whose contact information is in my MLS contact list, and I let my broker know where I'm going and who I'm meeting through text or email. Vacant homes are especially scary, though I've never felt threatened by a client, but have been plenty nervous about the idea that someone may be camped out in the vacant home.
I also make buyers send me their pre-qualification letters through email or texts so that it increases the likelihood of having a serious buyer as opposed to someone who may want to do an agent harm. An agent in my office had shown some houses to a convicted rapist, and only learned of his identity when the police contacted the broker, luckily prior to her showing him vacant homes he asked to see! This happened a few years back, but it's still sobering!
Strongsville, OH · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 9 votes
9y
@Karen Margrave, This is a great list. I'm actually taking the classes to get my license in Ohio, and my teacher was talking about the topic of safety.
He suggested to not only ask the new client to come into the office first, but also to register them with your company. I.e. Name, number, drivers license, etc... Most people in today's world expect to have their identity verified when trying to buy property and other large ticket items.
Also, he suggested having a set code word with your broker's office. The example he gave was "Red File". So you can call your office in a perfectly calm tone, if something is wrong, and say "I'm at the 123 Main street property, can get the red file for me please?" The broker then knows that you are in trouble, and will call the police.
New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
9y
O God, so much panic about realtor. Anything can be went wrong with you at any location. so you always take precautions and be alert when you go alone or even with somebody else.