Google Maps for tracking rent comps

6 Replies

I've just started out investing and wanted to find a better way to keep track of area rent prices.  Has anybody else used Google Maps (Private map) to track rent in your area?

After getting hearsay info from for rent calls and other investors in the area, I'm going to build my own map of rent prices.

Example: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z_BgbjP9NJy...

Has anybody else done this?  Is it overkill? 

Kevin

Very interesting concept and approach; I like it!!

So far I've been mostly using publicly available information and looking up average median rental prices on sites like Rentometer. I also rely heavily on Craigslist to get an idea. 

Sounds like you just described Zillow

Originally posted by @Ryan M. :

Sounds like you just described Zillow

I use it for my reports.  You can't use Zillow for reports and make them interactive...just screen prints

Making your private Google Map is an easy reference option for rent prices. I would use Zillow for home sales prices.

My only concern is keeping up with the numbers, but in my area rent prices are pretty stagnant. May 1-3% increases.

But it's a good way to visually see what competition is getting.

Kevin

Oh..forgot to share how:

1.) Log into your Google Account

2.) Go to Google Maps

3.) On the top left search bar, insert your cursor and then go down to "My Maps"

4.) Click "Create"

5.) To start out, add all your known rental properties and rental rates into a .CSV

Template example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12532182/test....

6.) In Google Maps, "Import" the CSV

7.) Map your column names and there you've made the first map.

8.) Then as you get additional rental data, you can just update your map. The map is private unless you make it public.

Thanks,

Kevin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.