Is it normal not to have house previews when you first list a house???

6 Replies

I recently listed my first house in my area. However, I am worried because no one has reached out to me or called to schedule an appointment to preview the house! I listed it yesterday and I am wondering what should I expect when I first list a house and hope for buyers to come to preview. Did I overprice it???

Tough time of year, holiday week, weather (depending on where you are) etc. All factors but the biggest factor is price. If it's priced right you'll have showings in the first week or so, priced wrong...not so much. 

Listed on the MLS?

Listing on a Tuesday isn't great timing, and listing right before Thanksgiving is a horrible idea.  People are a bit busy with other stuff for the next few days...  :-)

@Beck Hakberdiev   don't freak out if you don't get a showing after 1 day the week of Thanksgiving.

As others have said it's right before the holiday.

Don't panic yet.

What do the comps tell you?

did you list this on the local MLS? Did you use a fixed fee listing broker / agent, or a discount broker? Did you offer the 'selling agent / broker" (the agent representing the buyer) a commission?

Experienced investors know where my questioning is leading ...

@Beck Hakberdiev, Set a realistic price. If you are working with an agent, he/she knows how to set market price before listing it. Before you list your home, ask your real estate agent for a comparative market analysis, which will help you determine a reasonable price based on sales of similar homes in your area.

Avoid list now, reduce later strategy. If it is not the right price to list, I would unfortunately decline the listing. It serves no one (Seller's and my time, not forgetting the Buyer's agents and Buyers' time to view the property).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here