Looking for 2-Unit Property in Baltimore, Maryland - Zoning?

3 Replies

Hello!

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home in Baltimore, MD. We want 2 legal units so that we can rent one out and live in the other. It is our start to real estate investing.

We are having the hardest time trying to find out which homes are legitimately zoned for 2 units, licensed or registered for this use, and permitted. I feel like I get different answers on different websites, and each time I call the city offices.

Does anyone have experience with buying a 2 unit in Baltimore City or Baltimore County?

Can you provide any advice on how to find out for certain if a property is zoned for 2 units? Or how to best go about finding these types of properties?

If you can recommend an agent who knows how to find these properties, that would be great. Our agent so far is kind and professional, however not experienced with 2 units.

Thanks so much for your help!

Christopher

call (410) 396-4126 or (410) 396-4301(baltimore zoning) with the address and ask.

Look to see if it has separate electric and gas meters , it doesnt mean its legal but there is a better chance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.