Am I expecting too much? Please help!

Am I expecting too much? Please help!

Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes

Hello All,

I'm looking for a legitimate lender who will provide 100% of purchase price as well as construction costs (which will equate or be less than 75% of ARV). I am new, but have partnered with an experienced Investor who has been flipping houses for years and has buy and hold properties as well. Does anyone know where I should look to obtain this, or am I reaching too high? Also, the property will be located within Prince Georges County, Maryland (or PG County) which is right outside or alongside of Washington, DC.

Please assist.

Regards,

Stephanie Dobbs

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

The $300 you saved this month would probably pay for a real estate agent class.  Next month's $300 would pay for the exam.  The month after that, business cards and incidentals as you start working part-time for a broker.

You will have MLS access and the ability to truly learn your market. Spend your first couple of commissions putting some skin in the game for a flip.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Corby Goade:

    Good for you for asking the question and responding to everyone's advice. 

    I am a huge fan of house hacking, and Chris Seveney mentioned it above. It won't be quick, but nothing in real estate is. Buy a duplex that has excellent cash flow, and get a great deal up front.

    Thanks so much! I am really appreciative of all those that take time to answer my questions, so I like to express my gratitude and directly respond to what was said. I appreciate your advise and will plan to do as you stated. I have never looked into duplexes, so maybe I could do what you advise using seller financing? <-- Atleast until I'm able to get a loan conventionally or otherwise. Either way, I appreciate your response and will be reading, listening and learning in the process/meantime.

    Stephanie Dobbs

  • Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Chris Seveney:

    See if any investors or fix and flip companies would hire you. When a person has no money, what can they provide to the investor? You need to bring some sort of service to make it worth their while. Maybe bring them a deal thats worthwhile and if it works out to get a portion of profits etc. in order to build money to get your own place. 

    Another option would be to see if you could buy a duplex and rent out one side and live in another to save money. But if you only have $300 that will not get you there. 

    Mr. Seveney, I did not see this!!! So sorry! Another investor offered kind advice and mentioned your point, and it is a great one! What you say is a good idea, and I have been soliciting investors to work with them for FREE! I have limited time to offer right now, but can offer more time after I finish my undergraduate degree (June 29th; taking a summer course). No one thus far has responded so I am holding out hope to find an experienced investor that would be open to showing me the ropes.

    Concerning the duplex is actually a great option as I am looking for a home to stay in (hubby, me and the kids are in a small apartment and we need to move for better schools), so a duplex may be a good option. You think seller financing may be possible for ownership?

    Stephanie Dobbs 

  • Ft. Washington, MD · Member since 2011 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Stephanie Dobbs If you do not already own your own property you should look into doing a FHA mortgage to purchase your first property preferably a multi unit. You can get in for 3% down which is a lot cheaper than the 20% investors need. After you have that property you have to stay in it for at least a year. In that year you can fix it up and sell after you stay in for the required time. Meanwhile if it is a multi unit you can rent the other units and possibly make some cashflow. i know its a slower option to get started but personally i think its a solid way to start investing.

  • Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Andre Martin:

    @Stephanie Dobbs If you do not already own your own property you should look into doing a FHA mortgage to purchase your first property preferably a multi unit. You can get in for 3% down which is a lot cheaper than the 20% investors need. After you have that property you have to stay in it for at least a year. In that year you can fix it up and sell after you stay in for the required time. Meanwhile if it is a multi unit you can rent the other units and possibly make some cashflow. i know its a slower option to get started but personally i think its a solid way to start investing.

    Thanks Andre for that input, that is really great advice! I will definitely take what is said into consideration, even though I am going to try my hand at wholesaling to raise capital and to pay off some of my debts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.