Best Bay Area Suburbs to Buy first Primary Residence?

3 Replies

I have a friend looking to buy her first Primary Residence. She works in San Jose but not interested in living in San Jose because of the higher housing prices. She's married with no kids. (Not yet). She's been exploring the suburbs to find more affordable housing but is having trouble deciding what area would be the best investment. So my question is what suburb would be the best bang for her buck and still see some decent appreciation in the future? I'm guessing she's willing to commute up to 1 hour of driving. Thank you all for your help.

Hello Joey,

Great to hear you're friends are making their first move into real estate. I noticed you invest in the San Jose area. With homes ranging from as little as 60K and of course all the way up into the millions are there no opportunities that fit their needs? We work with a large litigation firm that represents clients through out the state and we've seen that there always opportunities in the market (especially yours). We work a lot in that area so if there is any way to help I'd be more than happy to set up a conference call to chat even if it's just to discuss some of the options that might be out there for them to work with. Just the time in the commute and the gas saved is worth being close to work.  

Cheers,

Lira

It depends what her budget is? The best value with the best schools is in San Ramon and Danville. Large homes with yards, and schools all in the mid 900s. People from all over the bay are moving here because of the value. I can help her if she needs some help up here.

@Joey Noel

Hey Joey, anything north of San Jose on the peninsula side will be expensive.  Alameda county is fairly priced, with the exception of Fremont, which is getting more and more expensive. Morgan Hill/Gilroy and farther south Hollister (which is at the one hour commute mark) are definitely more affordable.

If you/your friend has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Robert Musallam, Intero Real Estate | [email protected] | 408‑410‑5938 | http://sanjoserealestatenow.com | CA Agent # 01949905

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you