Does Anyone Own ALL turnkey??

Does Anyone Own ALL turnkey??

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 132 votes

I know there are many people who like to get their feet wet with turnkey, but does anyone actually own ALL turnkeys? Does anyone own 30 turnkey properties?

Can anyone actually speak up that owns nothing but turnkey and has had a great experience?

I rarely hear from anyone who owns turnkeys other than the turnkey provider marketers, and of the people that do own them, it seems they only own 1-3. Is there a reason for this?

I want to believe turnkey is a great investment for busy professionals who have no desire to rehab/find deals/landlord/manage properties/deal with contractors etc....but why isn't it more common then?

I do also get concerned when I see proformas by turnkey providers that are only accounting for 5% vacancy (seems optimistic since just one month vacant should be 8.3%), 3-5% maintenance which seems low, absolutely no Capex inclusion etc.....

When you put regular numbers in to account for those things, it seems that many of the turnkeys aren't profitable...Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you make something, but just seems like 6-7% after you PROPERLY account for all possibilities and have a margin of safety.

I also don't buy the answer that people got involved with turnkeys and then realized they can go out on their own and do it....this makes no sense...if they are busy professionals and don't want to deal with the headaches of real estate, why all of a sudden after one turnkey experience they are starting their own empire?

So, again, anyone out there own ONLY turnkeys and have more than 10 of them?

13Reply
435 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
11y

@Kyle Scholnick

  Super post.

As you expand your search or options of investing in Real Estate you may want to consider some alternatives to turn key SFR's s there is certainly more to the industry than just that model. And like a good stock portfolio you may want to diversify across the industry.

Some examples may include:

1. Investing in Debt IE a GREAT HML in your city that you can sit down an eye ball and or has impeccable rep . these investment can easily bring you 8 to 12% with little hassle factor actually once up and running probably the most passive of the bunch.

2. Crowdfunding portals... That are doing debt deals they have matured.. check out Realty Shares and Realty Mogul I know those folks personally and they are very diligent in what they bring to the investor.. go with the very simple fix and flip loans for safety and least exposure to market up and downs.

3. There are some really good Syndicators in the US>. And the sponsor is critical but once you get with one of them you can establish a very long term relationship.. etc.

4. Look at larger Multi with Professional institutional type management.

5. Class B Mobile Home parks.. don't go lower other wise your buying your own mini Ghetto.. I have owned 3 and I love these.

6. Find a really good local fix and flipper and fund their deals doing a JV this can be very rewarding financially of course just like picking a TK company caution must be taken.

7. If you have not already buy your own medical practice facility and rent it to the Group ! you know you will get rent ! 

And as you state there are plenty of ways to make money in RE... but you may want to spread your risk to a few different scenarios so you don't have all your eggs in one asset class.  just some Saturday morning food for thought  !

See this reply in the discussion

241 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Florida / Atlanta · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    I know im late to this thread but if you are looking for SF or MF investment homes in Atlanta please reach out to me. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi all - reading through this entire thread. I realize it's a year old but it's fascinating to me as a (hopefully) newbie investor interested in the possibilities of turnkey. I'll be finishing out this whole thread - thanks to all for the input, especially the actual experience and numbers on both sides.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    9y

    @Kyle Scholnick

    Hey Kyle,  You are making some assumptions/comments and I'm wondering if it is experienced based.  I own 8 properties in Minneapolis with 20 units- duplex and triplexes.  I own them in the best/most desired area- called Uptown which is young professionals.  I have about 1200 months of rentals in the past 5 years and have had 1 vacant month in that entire time so I'm at about a 99.9% fill rate.  If I loaded a 5% vacancy rate, I'd talk myself out of every deal I buy.  It's completely based on the area and property.  I've renovated all my properties so they are all in great condition.

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 132 votes
    9y

    @Bruce Runn interesting.

    And these are all turnkey? Who is your turnkey provider?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Shai Neubauer:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Dyanne C.

      I wrote a little E book on the Do's and Don'ts of out of state investing.. happy to send it along if you like.. it will give you the questions to ask and the items to Check off your list , so you can make an educated and prudent buy decision

     Hey Jay just catchign up with this thread now.  Would it be possible to send this ebook my way as well?

     I've tried getting the ebook from him as well.  Haven't had any luck, even tried to contact him.  Not sure what's going on with that.

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    http://turnkey-reviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/A_Perfect_StormPDF-brie-edits.pdf

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed  thankyou for helping him...

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Account Closed  whats up with it???? as I told you when you contacted me is its sitting on Turnkeyreivew site its free and anyone can down load it  or upload it whatever .. @Mendy Harlig  thankyou for helping him...

     Thanks both for the help and the content, downloading it now.  As for the original problem...I'm unsure.  I signed up for the email contact list and never received it, checked spam and whitelisted the site.  You may want to look  into that, if it's important to you.  Regardless, thanks again.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.