Does Anyone Own ALL turnkey??

Does Anyone Own ALL turnkey??

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 132 votes

I know there are many people who like to get their feet wet with turnkey, but does anyone actually own ALL turnkeys? Does anyone own 30 turnkey properties?

Can anyone actually speak up that owns nothing but turnkey and has had a great experience?

I rarely hear from anyone who owns turnkeys other than the turnkey provider marketers, and of the people that do own them, it seems they only own 1-3. Is there a reason for this?

I want to believe turnkey is a great investment for busy professionals who have no desire to rehab/find deals/landlord/manage properties/deal with contractors etc....but why isn't it more common then?

I do also get concerned when I see proformas by turnkey providers that are only accounting for 5% vacancy (seems optimistic since just one month vacant should be 8.3%), 3-5% maintenance which seems low, absolutely no Capex inclusion etc.....

When you put regular numbers in to account for those things, it seems that many of the turnkeys aren't profitable...Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you make something, but just seems like 6-7% after you PROPERLY account for all possibilities and have a margin of safety.

I also don't buy the answer that people got involved with turnkeys and then realized they can go out on their own and do it....this makes no sense...if they are busy professionals and don't want to deal with the headaches of real estate, why all of a sudden after one turnkey experience they are starting their own empire?

So, again, anyone out there own ONLY turnkeys and have more than 10 of them?

13Reply
504 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
11y

@Kyle Scholnick

  Super post.

As you expand your search or options of investing in Real Estate you may want to consider some alternatives to turn key SFR's s there is certainly more to the industry than just that model. And like a good stock portfolio you may want to diversify across the industry.

Some examples may include:

1. Investing in Debt IE a GREAT HML in your city that you can sit down an eye ball and or has impeccable rep . these investment can easily bring you 8 to 12% with little hassle factor actually once up and running probably the most passive of the bunch.

2. Crowdfunding portals... That are doing debt deals they have matured.. check out Realty Shares and Realty Mogul I know those folks personally and they are very diligent in what they bring to the investor.. go with the very simple fix and flip loans for safety and least exposure to market up and downs.

3. There are some really good Syndicators in the US>. And the sponsor is critical but once you get with one of them you can establish a very long term relationship.. etc.

4. Look at larger Multi with Professional institutional type management.

5. Class B Mobile Home parks.. don't go lower other wise your buying your own mini Ghetto.. I have owned 3 and I love these.

6. Find a really good local fix and flipper and fund their deals doing a JV this can be very rewarding financially of course just like picking a TK company caution must be taken.

7. If you have not already buy your own medical practice facility and rent it to the Group ! you know you will get rent ! 

And as you state there are plenty of ways to make money in RE... but you may want to spread your risk to a few different scenarios so you don't have all your eggs in one asset class.  just some Saturday morning food for thought  !

See this reply in the discussion

241 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    @Ariel Cohen

    Excellent point Ariel, the exit strategy is another huge concern for a lot of people.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:

    With my company, we have a pretty standard answer of we do not negotiate.  We feel we offer a tremendous value for the price listed.  However, with existing clients who have built up or are building up a portfolio and they ask for some concession, we are always open to reviewing it and do often work with them.  If it were a first time buyer just wanting to buy lower, we probably would not make many - if any - concessions.  We are lucky in that we have no issues with selling the properties we own and this has been our policy for a number of years so it has not hurt our ability to operate.  

    Very good question Petra.

    Great stuff and fascinating to me. Are your properties offered/marketed in such a way that you could get a bidding war and get more than asking?  Or is it a product that is first come-first served for the investor willing to pay your asking?

     Strictly first-come, first-serve - there is no bidding and we've never entertained trying to get prices bid up.  They are fair prices for both us and the investor so no need to encourage bidding that ultimately will make them an unhappy investor and hurt their experience with us.  

    Also, all are sold through one-on-one interaction so there is not a listing of properties or an email blast with the houses.  When we have a property ready to be marketed to investors, there may be several investors who are good matches for the properties - maybe investors who have been waiting longer than others or are in a scenario (1031 exchange) that they need to take priority.  We then take that property to those investors personally and at that point they are on a first come, first served scenario.  In some cases, properties are not purchased right off the bat and then our team will expand and offer that property to other investors, but never on a mass blast scale. 

    Most investors never know all of the properties that are available.  In some small way, that is protecting investors from just jumping onto a property as soon as they see it or as soon as it is emailed out without knowing details or having an opportunity to learn a little about the property before they go to contract.  It is funny how real estate investors especially seem to be in a real hurry to buy and that can lead to unhappy clients.  

    Remember that as Turnkey company we keep clients for the life of the investment, so we really need to avoid scenarios that ultimately lead them to a bad experience.  To be fair, that already happens (you can never make everyone happy all the time) so it is smart to avoid those cases as much as possible.

    Thanks for clarifying.  So you're selling a set price pkg and the investor wants it or they don't.  This has been so edifying. Maybe I AM in the wrong type of RE biz.  For the last several years, I negotiate very little to not at all and my investor buyers hate it.....but they buy at my asking.  On my flat fee listings for fixers I don't typically negotiate.  The buyer's agents hate that, but their clients buy at my price. I use full listing services on the rehabs and willing to do the counter offer thing a little with the consumer buyer.  But I don't budge when the buyer or their agents threatens to cancel because I won't buy them a stove or whatever.  My agents think I'm hard core (because they always want me to concede to get the deal closed).

    I think selling TK rentals as a set price product makes a lot of sense.  And manages buyer expectations in a good way.  Thanks once again for giving me some good food for thought.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Thanks for clarifying.  So you're selling a set price pkg and the investor wants it or they don't.  This has been so edifying. Maybe I AM in the wrong type of RE biz.  For the last several years, I negotiate very little to not at all and my investor buyers hate it.....but they buy at my asking.  On my flat fee listings for fixers I don't typically negotiate.  The buyer's agents hate that, but their clients buy at my price. I use full listing services on the rehabs and willing to do the counter offer thing a little with the consumer buyer.  But I don't budge when the buyer or their agents threatens to cancel because I won't buy them a stove or whatever.  My agents think I'm hard core (because they always want me to concede to get the deal closed).

    I think selling TK rentals as a set price product makes a lot of sense.  And manages buyer expectations in a good way.  Thanks once again for giving me some good food for thought.

    I think much of the sales and buy process is dictated by market conditions at the end of the day... Sellers market and then you have buyers market .. then you have transitioning markets from one paradigm to the other. Generally in our PDX market all listings sell for about 98% of ask... if there are concessions its generally with seller paid closing costs

    But I had two low balls this week on new construction..  just countered back at full price they both went away.. got another offer coming in tonight on one that will probably fly.

    In the turn key industry.. much of what is sold to CA residences are so much cheaper than what they are used to... the thought of quibbling over a few grand kind of goes out the window... I am sure there are some volume discounts given in the industry.. etc etc.

    the exit though that op brought up is one of the really big points that is often over looked. Many investors that buy rentals think when they buy them its like a marriage its forever.. then something happens either they get burned out landlord syndrome.. or other personal issues and a sale is needed.. they are on their own.. the Turn key company cannot afford to sell the properties at RE commish rates they would go broke plus a lot of them are not licensed to do so and its not their business.. So the investors exit is one with a local realtor and since in most markets TK dominates the non owner occ sales.  It makes it tough in areas that are renter heavy to exit.. because homeowners are not going to buy these.

    So that is a very good point and one that is not addressed in the industry.  Just like trying to sell your used Time Share  in many ways  when you buy a time share your buying from Sales pro's that get top dollar now your on your own to resell and one ususally takes a pretty big loss.

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y

    @Kyle Scholnick hey Kyle sorry for the delayed response to asking me about more details to my turnkey experience. But here it is. You seem like a very detailed oriented person and unfortunately I can't give accurate detailed numbers on my turnkey performances because it's just to early to get accurate numbers. I started buying back in October so my first properties have only been cash flowing less than a year. However I will elaborate in general. generally speaking I bought 6 properties from 36k-67k. Rents are $900, $850, and 4 at $700. 4 were complete turnkey and 2 were off MLS using the help of a turnkey company. some had minor issues/repairs like a frozen pipe, leaking pipe, creeking doors, damaged step, and stuff like that. 1 got hit by the recent floods in Indy requiring new furnace and water heater. Another had mold from a backed up pipe and tenant not installing dryer properly. 1 off the MLS was bought with tenant in place and then I had issues with her so we evicted her and replaced her with someone up to our standards and no issues since. That has pretty much been all the expenses so far.

    All things considered I am still very happy with all of them.  That flood from what I understand is something out of the ordinary this year for Indy and from what I am hearing other investors have been hit a lot harder than me so I am not complaining.  my ultimate goal is to earn $200-$250/Month off each property.  By the end of the year with all expenses calculated I should make at least $200/ month for all properties.  If all goes well some may even bring me $300/month but that will all depend on what happens over the next 6 months.  Time will tell!

  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 87 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    This is one of our major concerns. Aside from looking at homeownership rates in the turnkey neighborhoods and analyzing comps on the MLS, how would you suggest assessing a turnkey property's resale potential?

    We wouldn't be banking on appreciation but wouldn't want to have to discount heavily below what we paid.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith Anderson

      its all subjective because the event is not going to happen for many years down the road.

    And at the pace that some of these markets is turning from homeownership to rental's IE the industry keeps expanding.. its pretty hard to determine.

    what could be a nice owner occ street you buy on today 10 years from now it could be 50 % or better of rentals..

    But price point is really key here in my mind... if your buying at or above the median price point for a market your going to buying in more owner occ areas that hopefully will stay that way because investors all wanting the best cash flow possible won't buy a house that brings in 6% or 5%  they want 10 to 12%..

    Its just a fact that in many markets that are CASH flow heavy and renter heavy it can be next to impossible to ever sell those homes to a homeowner.. so what you need to count on is rental increase's so that when you exit to an investor you can show the returns they are looking for... but where you are handicapped is you do not have a national marketing presence with other National marketing and international marketing companies repping your rental homes. you are forced to Craig's list or MLS..

    So you take the WEst coast or East coast for example the higher value markets were median price is 300k or so... Well buying a 200k SFR rental that rents for 1500.. is not something most on this site would be taught is a good deal for cash flow.. But that same house can be sold retail to a homeowner thereby gaining the most equity out of it and it could jump up in value significantly ... not the mantra that appreciation is the icing on the cake... ( which I personally think is a silly).. I want appreciation I want to cash those 50 to 100k profits.. I want to be able to 1031.. etc etc.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Perhaps if the investment has weak exit outcomes or handcuffed exit options that is probably not a great investment. If someone is not willing to pay more down the road I am not sure that even qualifies as an investment. It is something less. I know many are chasing cash flow, perhaps a regular business is what pure cash flow plays should look like ie Subways etc...I have to wonder how valuable a loss at exit investment is really worth?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

     & @Keith Anderson

    We're looking for neighborhoods with good schools and low crime, as well as mostly owner occupied SF houses. 

    We do look for property not to exceed the median price which here is about $165,000.  We're looking for bargains that are below the neighborhood prices. 

    We're also looking for properties that are priced lower than peak prices of 2008 time frames.  And we're looking for properties that have had some updates.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @David Krulac

      are you exiting any of your portfolio  IE homes you have had for rentals for say 5 to 10 years and now you can sell to homeowner ?  and make cap gains ...

    or  when you flip do you just to short term flipping?

    or just buy and hold like a real estate hoarder.. always buy never sell  LOL I know a few of those..

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I and other members of my family have used this same approach and we have a little over 100 properties between us and several commercial buildings.  Local banks and creatively structuring the payoffs are going to be the keys to building a larger portfolio, IMO.  

    Again, thanks Chris for the clear information. See, its not so hard to disclose your holdings to gain credibility! Not that Chris really needed to gain more! 

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I've negotiated price on most of my turnkey buys. I had my set of criteria for evaluation and if I could not get the numbers to work I wouldn't buy. 

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y

    I think the bottom line hear is that most turnkey companies can and will offer you a fair deal where everyone makes money.  A win win situatution.  The idea is to build strong long lasting relationships for long term buissness.  They want you to be happy with your investment and come back to them to buy more.  That said I strongly believe they are at or just below market price on most occasions.  Furthermore on the management side of things with the same company being my PM, a trust continues to build as you use them over and over again.  As mentioned earlier they will look out for your best interest so that you keep coming back.  

    However if you want to save a few thousand dollars you can search the MLS yourself, build your own team, rehab the properties yourself, find a PM, and do all this from a million miles away. And as a beginner (like myself) do all this without any experience or expert knowledge of the area and market. In the end I think I would probably get screwed somewhere along the way by my own team apposed to a turnkey company. Especially since I'm not there to monitor my team.

    For me I'm willing to pay a fair price that provides great cash flow for a property that is ready to go and rented.  I sign the papers and start collecting rent.  Doing it yourself takes time, expertise, and stress.  I don't have the time, I'm clearly not an expert, and definitely don't want any more stress in my life.  For my situation it's kind of a "no brainer".  

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Kind of all the above.  After 800+ deals, I still own the second property that I ever bought.

    I like to own for a long time, I have some properties that are depreciated to zero, so that gives you an idea how long I've owned them.

    I also like long term tenants, currently have a 30 yr, 21 yr, 17 yr, 15 yr and others who have rented the same place for long period.  One 21 yr tenant would only move when I found them a property that fit their criteria which wasn't easy.

    I only flip  a couple or so a year.  Bought a house settled, nine days later had another  settlement selling it.  didn't touch the property, no cleaning, painted, detrashing, etc, didn't even turn on the utilities.  sold to rehabber, who fixed up and sold.

    A lot of the properties are flip and flip, rehabbing and selling retail.

    In general, I don't like the short term tax treatment.  Have some properties for sale now that I rented for 2 to 12 years, and now are selling retail, kind of a hybred of fix and flip AND buy and hold, not sure if there is a name for that, but I like it.

    I do like to thin the herd every year, selling some of the slower performers and replacing with faster performers.

    On all the SFH that I have rehabbed and rented then sold, I can only recall one sold to an investor, they're going to owner occupants, retail. Even SFH fixed and flipped, I can't recall any sold to investors. Perhaps I should start marketing to investors and become a turn key operator.

    So for new acquisitions I do straight flip, fix and flip, and buy and hold, besides the land subdivision and scattered lot work.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @David Krulac

      TK is calling your name... I had that thought as well,, but I like letting them do the heavy lifting and we just create the opportunity for them and that flows down to the opportunity for the investor.

    Retailing homes is fun as well but I have one new construction going now with a Texas buyer and they are some what persnickety.. when they came out for the first walk through and go through the punch list they wanted to know if it rained much on the Oregon Coast.

    It was everything I could do not t bust out laughing.. its a nice oceanview 2k sq ft with upper end finishs  435k  and they are cash buyer so I am nursing it through the knot hole. If it was in Portland proper were I could sell it in probably a bidding war I would not be as congenial. 

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    In contrast I've only built one house and that was a custom house built to TENANT'S specs.

    Yes, I built a custom house for a tenant, that they are still renting 15 years later. 

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by :

    Have some properties for sale now that I rented for 2 to 12 years, and now are selling retail, kind of a hybred of fix and flip AND buy and hold, not sure if there is a name for that, but I like it.

    Buy.  Hold and rent.  Then fix and sell.  Value add.  Appreciation. I think that's called investing in real estate. 

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @K. marie

    That part I got, but shouldn't there be a term for that like

    BRRRR

    Buy, Renovate, Rent, Renovate, Retail

    I'm chilled with goose bumps! 

  • Investor · Tavares, FL · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    This is my first post on BP so take it for what you will. 

    I own 6 Turnkey properties and to this point they fit my lifestyle very well. I'm a small business owner and make 250k+ yearly. I have no issues with the 20-45k that I have to put down per home and I keep my houses rented at roughly a 95% rate via Facebook groups. It's a very easy process for me and my wife. We don't want to spend the time and money rehabbing homes. We typically buy a house and have a renter scheduled to move in within the first 5 days of closing. We fix very little, have had very little out of pocket cost due to the houses being TK. The renters are normally very happy with the house, they are extremely easy to rent, and the renters have been staying a reasonable amount of years to this point. We believe that's because we put them in a great house to start of with. 

    We understand this isn't the most profitable venture in real estate but it fits our lifestyle and still provides incredible returns compared to other standard investing.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeremiah H.

      just curious as an accredited investor have you considered a little diversification.. perhaps with short term debt deals that the top crowd funding sites like Realty Shares and Realty Mogul do?

    Have you considered being a private lender or JV ing fix and flips that if successful would give you yields 3 to 5 times what a rental home will in the short term

    would be interested in your perspective.

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs hey Jay. Can you please elaborate on what exactly crowd funding is. What it would take to be a private lender. And what exactly JV ing fix and flips means? I'm curious to know and definitely interested in diversifying.

  • Investor · Tavares, FL · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    No sir, I haven't looked into those sites. Between my business, rental homes, and stock market I'm comfortable with my diversification and have a home for my money. I've also never entered into partnerships. I realize this limits me to projects I can fund and manage myself but it also eliminates any partner issues that could arise. It's what works for me and my personality. 

  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 87 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Jeremiah H.

      just curious as an accredited investor have you considered a little diversification.. perhaps with short term debt deals that the top crowd funding sites like Realty Shares and Realty Mogul do?

    Have you considered being a private lender or JV ing fix and flips that if successful would give you yields 3 to 5 times what a rental home will in the short term

    would be interested in your perspective.

    I'm accredited and not enamored with the crowdfunding models (so far). My interest in real estate is in the long-term benefits (equity build, cash flow, depreciation, etc), and all of the real estate crowdfunding platforms seem oriented to 12-36 month debt investments. 

    Considering that I can loan money on platforms like Lending Club in increments as low as $25, diffusing the risk over hundreds or thousands of micro-loans, I don't yet see anything compelling about putting larger sums into individual projects.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith Anderson

      I am curious as to the default rate of the lending club type deals I have never done one .. as trying to move micro amounts of money for me is not a good use of my time.

    I wonder over time if this type of lending will have a default rate akin to credit card paper.

    what I see with the top crowd funders debt deals is a 98 or 99% pay rate.. Now the equity deals those are still up in the air as they have not ripened yet.. but on the quick flip debt loans I think well I know those two shops I mentioned have a pretty stellar record.

  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 87 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Keith Anderson

      I am curious as to the default rate of the lending club type deals I have never done one .. as trying to move micro amounts of money for me is not a good use of my time.

    I wonder over time if this type of lending will have a default rate akin to credit card paper.

    what I see with the top crowd funders debt deals is a 98 or 99% pay rate.. Now the equity deals those are still up in the air as they have not ripened yet.. but on the quick flip debt loans I think well I know those two shops I mentioned have a pretty stellar record.

    I think the default rate is probably going to be reasonably high, but even with a high default rate the returns are looking pretty good. We'll have to see though... both Lending Club and Prosper emerged during the economic recovery and there isn't good historical precedent for how they'll perform during harder times (unless you look at credit card paper, as you suggested).

    I use a service that automates loan selection, so it's a fully passive investment for me. It's still not a big part of my portfolio but seems like the path of least resistance to private lending.

  • Investor · Belleville, MI · Member since 2015 · 131 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs  I put $1,000 into lending club maybe a couple years ago, and lost most of it.  I am sure some of it is my fault, as I went for the high yield, bad credit score loans.  I think I cashed out because I got locked out for some reason due to regulations.  Either way, it was just a curiosity thing for me, and I didn't care for it much.  I would rather spend more time and money on less deals.  Then I could spend more time with due diligence.  

    Those are my 2 cents.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.