Philly Investing: why are Upper Darby Township taxes so high??

5 Replies

looking at properties in Upper Darby Township (mostly Drexel Hill).  The taxes are extremely high.  Anyone have insight into why this is?  most 100K houses have taxes of 5K.  seems crazy.  wondering if I should not invest in that area, and look at parts of phila instead (overbrook park?) 

I work in upper Darby. They have a lot of very nice cop cars here...

lol- are they driving mercedes?  $400 a month in taxes for a 100K house really takes a big chunk of out any cash flow.  

@Mark Redmann  I see you invest in philly- do you invest in the upper darby area, or elsewhere?  the overbrook section has significantly lower taxes, but I am not familiar with the rents or the area as much.  looking for buy and hold  SF or duplex/triplex.   

Originally posted by @Lindsay Haslett :

lol- are they driving mercedes?  $400 a month in taxes for a 100K house really takes a big chunk of out any cash flow.  

@Mark Redmann I see you invest in philly- do you invest in the upper darby area, or elsewhere?  the overbrook section has significantly lower taxes, but I am not familiar with the rents or the area as much.  looking for buy and hold  SF or duplex/triplex.   

Haha not Mercedes, but they sure are shiny and new! I stick to brewerytown, fishtown, and point breeze. 

Originally posted by @Lindsay Haslett :

looking at properties in Upper Darby Township (mostly Drexel Hill).  The taxes are extremely high.  Anyone have insight into why this is?  most 100K houses have taxes of 5K.  seems crazy.  wondering if I should not invest in that area, and look at parts of phila instead (overbrook park?) 

UD and Drexel Hill are both attractive...until you look at the taxes. I haven't pursued anything there as the taxes usually kill the deal at first glance. Tough to rent a house out for $1k/month and have ~40% of that go to taxes before you've paid a mortgage or insurance! No idea why taxes are so high, maybe lack of industry? Way out of my league to speculate though. 

@Troy S. are there other areas you would recommend?  I am trying to find investments close to wynnewood so it is easily accessible for me.  I also work in center city, but am not familiar with the areas to invest in down town.  thoughts?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you