Buying a Multi Family in New England

10 Replies

Hi fellow investors

My goal is to buy a 2 or 3 unit multi family live in one unit and rent out / manage the others. 

The problem is the cheapest 2 family in my area is 150k. I have only 10k saved and because I am a recent independent contractor banks will not let lend me any money until I have two years of tax returns. The other problem is most of the multi families under 200k are disasters and not considered "safe, sound, and sanity". 

Should I get a part time job where I have a W-9? Or are there other ways to finance my first multi family property outside the traditional banks?

Thank you

Medium professional grade company logoRich Hupper, Highland View Realty | [email protected] | 978 364 0240

@Rich Hupper Get a girlfriend with a W2. or a partner...

"I am a recent independent contractor banks will not let lend me any money until I have two years of tax returns. The other problem is most of the multi families under 200k are disasters and not considered "safe, sound, and sanity". 

contractor + disasters = ding, ding, ding, SUCCESS?

@Mike Hurney LOL looks like I am screwed for a while. She would have to be on the mortgage with me then correct?

Medium professional grade company logoRich Hupper, Highland View Realty | [email protected] | 978 364 0240

@Rich Hupper I own multifamilies in Massachusetts. Though I am content to hold them, I do not think I would be trying to buy one unless I was going to live in it (As you are). MFH's are being bid up too much right now.  I dont know if it is normal buyers bidding them up, or an influx or foreign money, but the cap rates we are seeing near major metro areas on the east coast is just too low for my liking.

Medium logo lf re cire box white bboxRussell Brazil, Associate Broker w/ Long & Foster | [email protected] | (301) 893‑4635 | http://www.RussellBrazil.com | MD Agent # 648402, DC Agent # SP98375353, VA Agent # 0225219736, MA Agent # 9052346 | Podcast Guest on Show #192

Rich Hupper how much repair does the place need? Will it qualify for FHA loan? 3% down on a 150K = 4.5K --- if not I agree w the other posters. Partner or borrow the down payment money. If you are confident you can fix the place and add value you should have no problem paying back any lender. - if you give a little more information about the potential deal and yourself you may be able to find that partner/ lender right here on BP

@James Sestito An FHA loan would only help if the property were in good enough condition to live in. If the properties @Rich Hupper has looked at are as bad as he said, banks probably wouldn't be willing to lend on such a poor quality property.  Since FHA is designed to "protect" the buyer and make sure they have a higher quality, habitable space.  

The only way you'll really be able to qualify for a loan right now is with a co-signer.  Otherwise, you'll have to wait until you get two years of tax returns.  I'm in the same boat as you my friend.  Being self-employed as a real estate agent can make traditional lending very difficult to obtain.

Matt Lefebvre, Elm Grove Companies | [email protected] | 603‑554‑2309 | http://elmgrovecompanies.com

@Matt Lefebvre I was asking the question - never hurts to ask and explore ALL possible options.  

- @Rich Hupper There is never just one or two options.  Keep grinding and researching you will find a way to acquire properties.  Read the BP book - Investing with Low and no money down.

@Rich Hupper

"LOL looks like I am screwed for a while. She would have to be on the mortgage with me then correct?"

Ya, you got something against girls? ;-)

You may want to check out a short story "The Blue Vase"

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I might be able to get a co signer. This seems like the best route.

@Mike Hurney I will definitely check out the that short story. 

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

@Rich Hupper I own multifamilies in Massachusetts. Though I am content to hold them, I do not think I would be trying to buy one unless I was going to live in it (As you are). MFH's are being bid up too much right now.  I dont know if it is normal buyers bidding them up, or an influx or foreign money, but the cap rates we are seeing near major metro areas on the east coast is just too low for my liking.

You are definitely right. I deal with properties in Boston and the surrounding cities. Multi families are in such high demand because people are turning them into condos, rehabbing, and selling each unit for 450K + depending on the city.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you