Buying old house - fence right on survey property line

Buying old house - fence right on survey property line

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 4 votes

We are closing on a new investment property next week - an old home we will flip -  and we just got the survey in.

There is a very old chain link fence surrounding the property.   This fence has been there for many, many years.   The survey shows it RIGHT ON the property line.  It is not outside our lots property line but it is not inside either.

It would not break us to have to remove it but I'd like to know ahead of time if it may be a problem so I can go back to the seller if I need to.

Does anyone out there know about survey's and fences?   Is a fence RIGHT ON the property line OK or a problem?

Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    11y

    It could be one more thing to complain about to get the seller to drop the price but I wouldn't really care too much about it myself

  • Software Engineer · North New Jersey · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    It's hard to say, I know my family has had to move a fence before because it was on the property line but that is New Jersey. I've been told by a guy from the mid west (Indiana I think) that where he lived if a fence that is close to the property line has been there for more then 30 years then that is the new property line. I believe they call it "Prescriptive Easement". Probably best to invest in a consultation with a lawyer or zoning officer. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.