Brainstorm: how should I buy this house?

Brainstorm: how should I buy this house?

Middletown, CT · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 10 votes

I'll try to be as concise as possible, but there's a lot going into this one.  

I found an REO on the MLS monday morning. A quickie set of comps came in around $200k...the cynic in me says plan for $150. It's listed around $55k. I missed it before because it was listed much higher, but at the end of last week the price dropped significantly.

I don't normally consider owner-occupied, but this one's right around the corner from my fiancee's family here in central Connecticut, and she'd like to live closer to them.  It's mostly cosmetic work, but it needs a new roof before long.  I'm also not certain about the state of the mechanical systems.   I'm handy & don't mind doing the bulk of the work myself, but I know there will be a couple big ticket items. If we're going to live there, that gives me time to get to all the small things. 

The numbers are so good that even if the repair work, by the time we're done, is something crazy like 50k, we'd still stand to make 50-100k by the time we're finished.  That's a great margin.  But we don't have the cash to buy it up front (and the bank obviously wants cash only for REOs) so now we need a solution.  

Plan #1 was to have a private lender purchase it and then immediately do an FHA 203k rehab-refinance to cash him out and to give us the budget for the rehab. This was looking good until we realized that I'm no longer a W2 earner, so we can't use me on the FHA loan until I have my business operating for 2 tax years. And we're not certain that her income alone will qualify us.

Plan #2 - have the PL finance it for 2 years, then we refi.  I'm new and I only have one PL. And he balked at this plan. 

Most hard money lenders here won't lend to owner-occupied, so that's likely off the table.

Latest idea:  What if I team up with another investor?  He or she buys the property, then issues a 2-year lease to me set up so we buy it out at the end of the lease?  This carries us through the time we need to get the loan, and it makes some money for a friend.  Using 10% interest annually as a guide, the other investor would make $11k over the 2 years, ultimately earning back $77k for investing 55 (and honestly, if they negotiate a better price with the bank, then "more power to them!").  I'd even be willing to buy it a little higher, if they wanted to make an even better rate.  (I don't want to buy it *too* high, since I'm paying all the rehab costs.)

Is this a crazy idea?  And what else should I be considering?

There's a lot of traffic on this property now that the price is so low. I saw it with the listing agent on Monday and there were other folks viewing it at the same time. Nobody has an offer in yet, but time is of the essence.  

tl;dr - How do I buy & owner-occupy a 55k REO with no available cash and no ability to qualify for a loan for 24 months?

0Reply
26 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Very hard to respond to this when there is no context as far as the town it is in or the number of units it has. 

    55k for a 2 or 3 family may not even be a good deal depending on where it is. 

  • Middletown, CT · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Michael Noto It's a SFR. I'm not looking for cashflow on this one, just the equity. If I do this over 2 years it'll be the world's longest flip (I'm joking, of course, because we'll be living there).

    It's in a nice town, but the reason I said I'm cynical about the comps is because this one is the largest house on a street full of small houses.  I think that will deflate the sales price just a little.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Gotcha. Best of luck. 

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Are the fiancée's parents interested in JV'ing this with you? Bank owned or not...I'd make sure there is not some horrible issues that are having it priced that low. Inspections will be critical.

  • Middletown, CT · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Charlie Fitzgerald  Great thoughts. The parents aren't an option, though we did look at family members either for PL or even a co-borrower in a pinch. 

    Inspections are going to be critical. I gave it a hefty walkthrough and found some things that the realtor didn't know about.  There's one big question mark that needs pro inspection that could be an instant dealbreaker.  From talking with the agent, it seems that the low price is a result of the bank turning down some offers at the higher price and then realizing they couldn't get their first price.  It's definitely curious that it jumped down so significantly. 

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Be careful...inspect the crap out of it

  • Waterville, ME · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    I would  echo that, be  careful, inspect. There is a reason the house price was dropped significantly... ( it could be that they are just motivated sellers, but its best to be safe and not sorry.) Check for leins on property tooo

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.