Using family loan and bank loan at same time?

Using family loan and bank loan at same time?

Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes

Also posted in the Deal Analysis forums...

Hi all - new PRO member, and happy to be here. Bear with me - the question is specific to my situation, and I'll attempt to keep it brief. All advice welcome.

Attempting to line up first flip deal, but stuck on one of the first steps - lining up financing. It's not a matter of not having options. In fact, I have many. I have good credit and income, and my folks - who are retired - have money they're willing to help me out with. I would estimate that help could be as high as $100k, but we haven't talked numbers. And moreover, my father is eager to be involved.

That said, it's my first deal, and naturally, I'm anxious about the outcome. I'd rather not borrow a large sum of money from my parents on a first deal, but at the same time I recognize that money from them would be cheaper than money from just about anywhere else.

So ideally, I'd like to use a portfolio lender for the bulk of the loan, and my father for a much smaller chunk. Assuming that's something I can do legally (again, I'm very new), I have a few questions:

  • Will a portfolio lender loan only a portion of a property's appraised value, if I only need a portion? I assume so, but I want to make sure here.
  • How should I structure the deal with my father so that it's professional and makes him money, assuming a positive outcome on the flip?
    • Split the profit 50/50?
    • Give him interest on his money? What's reasonable?
    • Both?
    • Other?

These may be simple and obvious, but I'm in the very earliest stages of understanding my options. Any advice welcome. Thanks!

0Reply
25 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    You may not even be able to get a portfolio loan if you do not have any previous projects to show them. Your best bet is likely to be a hard money loan...in which case they would lend a percentage based of the value and repairs of the house, and you would need to come up with the other part of this...which I think most hard money lenders would be ok with that cash coming from your parents. HML (Hard Money Loans/Lenders) are typically based on the project/property, and very little else. Depending on the location and the price, I may be able to put you in touch with a local hard money lender. They typically do deals with a $300k limit for people they have not worked with before. I think typical terms for them are 5 points, 15%, 6 month time limit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.