To allow pets, or not.....

To allow pets, or not.....

Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 3 votes

I just purchased my first investment property!  Finally...

Well I actually don't close until this afternoon, but I went ahead and put it on Postlets yesterday and got a bite.  The gentleman emailed me asking if I allow pets.  Initially, I was against dogs AND cats, but I feel I may be losing an opportunity at a potential tenant.  

It's a single family home in the 130-150kish range.  I have a big backyard, but no fence.  

What are your opinions on this?  Am I jumping the gun, since it's only been 1 day on the market?

1Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

I allow pets in all my rentals.  I obtain a separate and non-refundable pet deposit of $250 per animal (I limit the number of pets to 2 dogs and 1 cat), and I require tenant to get a liability policy of insurance naming me as an additional named insured to protect them and me from potential damages for dog bit incidents.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    I charge a pet fee, but I also charge $15 a month per pet.  Over the course of the tenants stay, you should still be able to make a couple bucks on the pets.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lincoln City, OR · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 21 votes
    10y
    And then you have service/companion/therapy pets... With the right documentation...
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I have always allowed pets. The Denver metro is a pretty big pet place, and, well, I love animals too.

    Rebecca Virtue

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I also allow pets.  As others have said, not allowing them here in Colorado would definitely limit the applicant pool. 

    I have both a non-refundable pet fee, and a refundable pet deposit.  The non-refundable pet fee is used for "a disinfecting/sanitizing carpeting cleaning".  The refundable pet deposit is to cover any true damage that the dog(s) may cause.  

    I really would prefer to not have cats in the properties, but I have allowed them in a couple of cases, and I've not had any issues.  

    Someone noted putting a size limit on dogs.  I am a life-long dog owner, and I have had many breeds/sizes.  I have to say that larger dogs are, in general, calmer and less damaging.  So I would never limit the size of dogs.  And all other things being equal, I would choose renters with large dogs over ones with small dogs.

    Tanya

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.