Adjustable Rate/Ballon Payment Crisis Ahead?

Adjustable Rate/Ballon Payment Crisis Ahead?

Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes

Below is a chart of the interest rate on the 10 year going back to 1880. As we all know the 10 year is a reasonable benchmark for mortgage rates. In other words, or what matters to investors, the 10 year determines how much your monthly payment will be to the bank (consistent on a fixed rate, fluctuating on an adjustable rate). I'll list my key take aways below the chart and I'd love to hear the BP communities thoughts on the chart as it pertains to current day REI strategy and future RE prices.

My take aways and questions I ask myself...

1.  Bull and bear markets in the 10 year normally last around 30 years.

2.  Interest rates have been going down since 1981.  Since lower interest rates decreases monthly payments (which increases purchasing power, which increases the price of home affordable, which increases home prices), has the rise in home prices since 1981 been exclusively a result of lower interest rates?  What happens to home prices if we go into a 30 year bear market (interest rates go up) in the 10 year? 

3.  Massive increase in volatility since going off the gold standard in 1971.  How could that volatility affect the debt in a real estate portfolio? 

4.  The US national debt is 19 trillion.  The average interest rate on that 19 trillion is approximately 2% making annual debt payments around 400 billion (interest only).  If rates just went to 4% (still very low historically) the annual interest payments would rise to 800 billion.  If the government has 400 billion less to spend into the economy how does that affect overall consumer spending and how does that trickle down to home affordability and prices?  Taking it a step further what happens to the debt payments if the 10 year enters a 30 year bear market (interest rates going up).  At 15%, where we were in 1981, 100% of tax revenue would go to pay the interest on the debt...how would that affect real estate prices?   

5.  How much of consumer spending/economic activity is based on credit?  If interest rates go up, consumers have higher monthly payments on their credit cards, this will decrease spending.  If the US economy is 70% consumer spending how does a long term reduction in that spending affect real estate prices?  

6.  Taking it a step further...interest is the cost of money and money is one half of every single transaction.  If the interest or the cost of money increases steadily over the next 5 years, 10 years, 30 years how will that affect everything sold in the economy and/or real estate? 

7.  If interest rates rise corporate profits decrease because debt payments consume a higher percentage of profits.  If overall profits decrease that will put massive downward pressure on stocks?  What does that do to 401k's?  If people have far less money to retire, due to corporate profits decreasing, does that affect spending?  If so, how does that affect RE?

8.  Finally, fixed rate debt seems incredibly prudent.  Any deal with a ballon payment must include an extremely conservative amount of equity.  There's a much higher than average risk that inflation adjusted real estate prices will be lower in the future.  

9.  Negative real interest rates are the only solution for the government and the economy.  If the federal reserve can pull that off, what does that look like, and how should my RE portfolio be structured to prepare and hopefully take advantage of it?  

I could go on but I'd like to hear what other people think about the chart above.  

George

1Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
10y

@George Gammon- You're absolutely right I view things through a narrow lens. It's the lens I'm familiar with, being that I'm not an economist and do not pretend to be. :)

"It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books. They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie. Why don't they want to keep it on their books? Because its a bad bet."

Eh, I'm going to disagree with you here a little bit.

We sell it on the secondary market because we need that money to lend to the next guy, not because it's bad debt (we're flippers like you might do with houses, but we flip debt). Not all of it goes to fannie/freddie, but a lot of it does. If rates go up to 7% on 30 year fixed loans, the selling price of a loan @ 7% on the secondary market will actually be identical to a loan of the same amount at 4% when 4% was prevailing (yup we don't care about your rate, only where it is relative to what fannie will pay for it). This is true regardless of if it's a GSE buying it, or a South Korean Teacher's Pension Fund. 

Fannie/freddie build the expectation of that interest rate, some chance of foreclosure, some chance of being paid back early, etc etc, into their calculations. They are for-profit enterprises, essentially buying high stability low return annuities. They have so dang many of these mortgages that they can afford to pay themselves with that little 4%. They are 100% perfectly fine with getting the 4% they were promised, it's when everyone goes belly up (2009 etc) that the taxpayers are on the hook.

If rates go up and they need to unload those loans to buy some at future-higher rates because they want to make more money, they can sell the older lower rate 4% loans off on that same secondary market to gain access to that capital needed to buy some 7% loans. Or, if the prices offered for it aren't right, they can sit tight and still remain perfectly solvent collecting 4%.

Think about it this way. Suppose rates go up. Suppose you've got, oh I don't know, $10bn in assets at 4% and your only job is to process the checks coming in. You're not even a landlord any more that has to fix the properties, you just collect the checks! If I give you $33m each and every month, do you think you could maybe find a way to process that $33m, maybe by using part of that $33m? I think you could find a way. In fact, I think you could find a way to process that $33m in monthly payments, AND have enough left over to purchase the sexy new investments available at 7%.

Oh look at that! You just purchased some of that sexy 7% debt over the course of the last year. Now you don't just have $33m coming in each month, now you've got $38m coming in! Sweet. Let's process those checks, baby, and keep the money factory going.

The GSE model works because of scale. You as a single individual, or even a modest sized firm, would indeed be in a tough spot with all your capital tied up earning only 4%. But the GSEs are GIANT, that's why it works for them. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    10 year is applicable to fixed rates on conventional loans. Commercial loans, HML loans and ARMs...not so much.

  • Brownstown, MI · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    I was 3 years old at the start of the bond bull market, wtf do i know about rising interest rates?  Lol

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Fitzgerald:

    10 year is applicable to fixed rates on conventional loans. Commercial loans, HML loans and ARMs...not so much.

    Charlie the chart looks the same for the fed funds rate. Here's a chart of the prime rate which obviously is applicable to commercial, HML and ARM's...they're all the same. I used the 10 year because most people associate that with mortgage rates. Bottom line is interest rates, in general, have been going down since 1981. Are real estate investors (including lenders) prepared, if rates do what they've done throughout history, and start going up for 30 years?

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    10 year tnote is fairly strongly correlated with mortgage rates. Some ARMs use it as the index basis for adjustment, too.

    If I'm in a day-trading mood because I'm ignoring my own advice about day-trading (the same way most folks ignore their own advice haha), I'll look at where the 10 year tnote closed on the East Coast as a sneak peek for where rates might be tomorrow morning, and still have 3 hours left (CA time zone in a CA headquartered company, baby) to decide if I want to lock today or wait until tomorrow. This method is correct probably about 65% of the time.

    To respond to the OP's concerns specifically, I'll say that the overwhelming bulk of loans we do these days for middle class families are fixed rate. Rates are still low and younger people especially (that watched their uncles/cousins/etc get foreclosed on during the recession) want their mortgages to be as BORING as humanly possible. Good for them, I get it.

    Interestingly, and perhaps perplexingly, a significantly higher percentage of jumbo loans are ARMs. People buying the $2m homes are much more OK with ARMs, and are often the ones to bring them up with me. Even 1/8 to rate makes a huge difference when the debt is that large, and an ARM might be 0.5% or 0.75% or more lower at the teaser rate ("teaser rate" is what we call it internally when you pesky borrowers aren't in earshot :P ), I get it.

    I'd say about 70% of the loans I do for $1m and up homes are ARMs, and probably 5% of the smaller loans I do are ARMs.

    So that's where we will see it, if there's a crisis because 7 or 10 or 15 years from now all these ARMs I've been doing adjust significantly upwards: It'll be a crisis that hurts rich people way more than people of modest means. So if I'm being cynical, the fact that the pain will be concentrated among the wealthy means there will be a bail out for the wealthy that we didn't see during the recession for the middle class. (To be clear, I don't begrudge folks for their success & am in fact happy for them... but I sure as heck am cynical about our political system!)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Roberts:

    I was 3 years old at the start of the bond bull market, wtf do i know about rising interest rates?  Lol

     To your point David, probably not much if anything at all.  That's what worries me and thats why I took the time to do the original post.  

    Just read the posts on BP. Most investors endlessly scrutinize comps, ARV's, cap rates etc. and totally ignore the most important components of our current economy...interest rates, debt super cycles and deleveraging. These are things real estate investors need to think through very carefully.

    Here's a chart of total debt to GDP.  Look at how much debt has had to expand to get the GDP growth we've had since 1970.  What happens if debt goes back down to 150% of GDP because of deleveraging?  Debt can't expand infinitely.  I'm only encouraging investors to be cogazant of these things when setting up their long term portfolios or business models.  

  • Brownstown, MI · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    i tend to agree, although friends of mine that bought their homes with ARMs ten years ago while i bought with a fixed rate let me know how smart they are lol.  You would think the rush is to the upside with ARMS these days but rates just continue to fall.

    I tend to think its a good time to leverage up now while rates are low, with fixed if you can. You would think rates would have to go higher sooner than later, but who knows.  If rates go higher them paying cash makes more sense than leveraging.

    Ive personally gone to a flipper mentality lately given that the higher prices go, for me to cash out a higher dollar amount to get my cash back lowers cash flow and the risk is to the downside on prices,  so i want to be in and out.   To get the better return it seems you have to move down a class of neighborhood and i dont want to do that.  

    But that's just my opinion. For once in my life,  can i be in cash when an asset falls? Sheeesh lol

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    10 year tnote is fairly strongly correlated with mortgage rates. Some ARMs use it as the index basis for adjustment, too.

    If I'm in a day-trading mood because I'm ignoring my own advice about day-trading (the same way most folks ignore their own advice haha), I'll look at where the 10 year tnote closed on the East Coast as a sneak peek for where rates might be tomorrow morning, and still have 3 hours left (CA time zone in a CA headquartered company, baby) to decide if I want to lock today or wait until tomorrow. This method is correct probably about 65% of the time.

    To respond to the OP's concerns specifically, I'll say that the overwhelming bulk of loans we do these days for middle class families are fixed rate. Rates are still low and younger people especially (that watched their uncles/cousins/etc get foreclosed on during the recession) want their mortgages to be as BORING as humanly possible. Good for them, I get it.

    Interestingly, and perhaps perplexingly, a significantly higher percentage of jumbo loans are ARMs. People buying the $2m homes are much more OK with ARMs, and are often the ones to bring them up with me. Even 1/8 to rate makes a huge difference when the debt is that large, and an ARM might be 0.5% or 0.75% or more lower at the teaser rate ("teaser rate" is what we call it internally when you pesky borrowers aren't in earshot :P ), I get it.

    I'd say about 70% of the loans I do for $1m and up homes are ARMs, and probably 5% of the smaller loans I do are ARMs.

    So that's where we will see it, if there's a crisis because 7 or 10 or 15 years from now all these ARMs I've been doing adjust significantly upwards: It'll be a crisis that hurts rich people way more than people of modest means. So if I'm being cynical, the fact that the pain will be concentrated among the wealthy means there will be a bail out for the wealthy that we didn't see during the recession for the middle class. (To be clear, I don't begrudge folks for their success & am in fact happy for them... but I sure as heck am cynical about our political system!)

    Chris thanks for the post, you bring up some interesting points. Unfortunately you might be viewing this from a narrow lens. Residential may offer fixed rate long term loans but what about commercial? Based on the conversation I had with several bankers in that space most are ARM's or short term fixed with a ballon, which effectively is the same thing. Most credit card debt is adjustable. Also remember most corporate and government debt is rolled over on a short term basis making it adjustable.

    So in that regard I think this is a potential problem not only for the "rich" buying 2 million dollar homes but anyone with a credit card, commercial loan, every corporation and government.   

    It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books.  They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie.  Why don't they want to keep it on their books?  Because its a bad bet.  Would anyone in their right mind loan out money at 3.5% over 30 years?  If interest rates go up, the value of that debt on the open market goes down.  The banks would never take that much risk with their exposure to rates mid to long term.  So if those loans are being originated someone is taking on excessive risk...that someone is fannie/freddie or the name I prefer "tax payer".  

    If interest rates do what they've historically done fannie/freddie will have the greatest exposure.  If they go bust (again) the tax payer will get burdened with the bill.  All those young people that you're selling "boring" loans to will pay for the profligacy of a 30 year credit expansion.  

    I'd argue the rich will most likely get hurt the least because the burden on them is a much smaller percentage of their net worth.  

    Again, I'm not saying this will happen.  I'm saying based on history, it's a possibility we as investors shouldn't ignore when assessing our portfolio's.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Roberts:

    i tend to agree, although friends of mine that bought their homes with ARMs ten years ago while i bought with a fixed rate let me know how smart they are lol.  You would think the rush is to the upside with ARMS these days but rates just continue to fall.

    I tend to think its a good time to leverage up now while rates are low, with fixed if you can. You would think rates would have to go higher sooner than later, but who knows.  If rates go higher them paying cash makes more sense than leveraging.

    Ive personally gone to a flipper mentality lately given that the higher prices go, for me to cash out a higher dollar amount to get my cash back lowers cash flow and the risk is to the downside on prices,  so i want to be in and out.   To get the better return it seems you have to move down a class of neighborhood and i dont want to do that.  

    But that's just my opinion. For once in my life,  can i be in cash when an asset falls? Sheeesh lol

     The beauty of a fixed rate is it caps the exposure to interest rates increasing but doesn't limit your ability to participate in interest rates falling because you can always refi at the lower rate...

    Be careful with a lot of leverage because in a deflationary environment the real value of debt increases.

    Totally agree with you on class of neighborhood! 

    Haha exactly ;) 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @George Gammon,

    I like your posts, economic analysis, and someone finally posting some actual data to back up their opinions! Thank you!

    For all the talk about the relationship between the 10yr Treasury and 30yr fixed mortgage rates, yes, and here is the evidence to prove it, for those who are not as familiar.. There tends to be about a 150-175bp spread of 30yr fixed mortgage rates over the 10yr Treasury (constant maturity shown here.) It can get squeezed as low as 100bp or as high as 200bp or so during volatile changes..

    10yr Treasuries and 30yr Fixed Rate Mortgage Rate

    I'd be more concerned about the long-term effect of potential negative rates than a huge increase in rates today. Futures markets aren't pricing in nearly as much increases as the Fed, world growth is slowing, China is weaker than it has been in my lifetime probably, BRIC's are weak, energy slowing down, and there is $7 Trillion or so in worldwide debt with negative rates. With international rates so low, and the 10yr depressed by lower sovereign rates internationally, can the Fed push up short term rates and, very possibly create an inverted yield curve, without punishing the US economy?

    International Discount Rates

    Here is a representation of the how the yield curve is flattening already..

    10yr minus 2yr Treasuries - "10's and 2's"

    10's and 2's flattening (line going down) is not usually great for the economy, and when it goes negative, we usually get one of those grey lines..

    Leading indicators don't look great..
    Yield Curve (10's and 2's), ISM Manufacturing Index, Leading Economic Index for US

    And we see declining leading indeces in a surprising number of states, even larger states like Texas, New York, and Washington - similar to the lead up to and during the last recession..

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @George Gammon,

    I like your posts, economic analysis, and someone finally posting some actual data to back up their opinions! Thank you!

    For all the talk about the relationship between the 10yr Treasury and 30yr fixed mortgage rates, yes, and here is the evidence to prove it, for those who are not as familiar.. There tends to be about a 150-175bp spread of 30yr fixed mortgage rates over the 10yr Treasury (constant maturity shown here.) It can get squeezed as low as 100bp or as high as 200bp or so during volatile changes..

    10yr Treasuries and 30yr Fixed Rate Mortgage Rate

    I'd be more concerned about the long-term effect of potential negative rates than a huge increase in rates today. Futures markets aren't pricing in nearly as much increases as the Fed, world growth is slowing, China is weaker than it has been in my lifetime probably, BRIC's are weak, energy slowing down, and there is $7 Trillion or so in worldwide debt with negative rates. With international rates so low, and the 10yr depressed by lower sovereign rates internationally, can the Fed push up short term rates and, very possibly create an inverted yield curve, without punishing the US economy?

    International Discount Rates

    Here is a representation of the how the yield curve is flattening already..

    10yr minus 2yr Treasuries - "10's and 2's"

    10's and 2's flattening (line going down) is not usually great for the economy, and when it goes negative, we usually get one of those grey lines..

    Leading indicators don't look great..
    Yield Curve (10's and 2's), ISM Manufacturing Index, Leading Economic Index for US

    And we see declining leading indeces in a surprising number of states, even larger states like Texas, New York, and Washington - similar to the lead up to and during the last recession..

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @George Gammon- You're absolutely right I view things through a narrow lens. It's the lens I'm familiar with, being that I'm not an economist and do not pretend to be. :)

    "It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books. They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie. Why don't they want to keep it on their books? Because its a bad bet."

    Eh, I'm going to disagree with you here a little bit.

    We sell it on the secondary market because we need that money to lend to the next guy, not because it's bad debt (we're flippers like you might do with houses, but we flip debt). Not all of it goes to fannie/freddie, but a lot of it does. If rates go up to 7% on 30 year fixed loans, the selling price of a loan @ 7% on the secondary market will actually be identical to a loan of the same amount at 4% when 4% was prevailing (yup we don't care about your rate, only where it is relative to what fannie will pay for it). This is true regardless of if it's a GSE buying it, or a South Korean Teacher's Pension Fund. 

    Fannie/freddie build the expectation of that interest rate, some chance of foreclosure, some chance of being paid back early, etc etc, into their calculations. They are for-profit enterprises, essentially buying high stability low return annuities. They have so dang many of these mortgages that they can afford to pay themselves with that little 4%. They are 100% perfectly fine with getting the 4% they were promised, it's when everyone goes belly up (2009 etc) that the taxpayers are on the hook.

    If rates go up and they need to unload those loans to buy some at future-higher rates because they want to make more money, they can sell the older lower rate 4% loans off on that same secondary market to gain access to that capital needed to buy some 7% loans. Or, if the prices offered for it aren't right, they can sit tight and still remain perfectly solvent collecting 4%.

    Think about it this way. Suppose rates go up. Suppose you've got, oh I don't know, $10bn in assets at 4% and your only job is to process the checks coming in. You're not even a landlord any more that has to fix the properties, you just collect the checks! If I give you $33m each and every month, do you think you could maybe find a way to process that $33m, maybe by using part of that $33m? I think you could find a way. In fact, I think you could find a way to process that $33m in monthly payments, AND have enough left over to purchase the sexy new investments available at 7%.

    Oh look at that! You just purchased some of that sexy 7% debt over the course of the last year. Now you don't just have $33m coming in each month, now you've got $38m coming in! Sweet. Let's process those checks, baby, and keep the money factory going.

    The GSE model works because of scale. You as a single individual, or even a modest sized firm, would indeed be in a tough spot with all your capital tied up earning only 4%. But the GSEs are GIANT, that's why it works for them. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    @George Gammon- You're absolutely right I view things through a narrow lens. It's the lens I'm familiar with, being that I'm not an economist and do not pretend to be. :)

    "It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books. They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie. Why don't they want to keep it on their books? Because its a bad bet."

    Eh, I'm going to disagree with you here a little bit.

    We sell it on the secondary market because we need that money to lend to the next guy, not because it's bad debt (we're flippers like you might do with houses, but we flip debt). Not all of it goes to fannie/freddie, but a lot of it does. If rates go up to 7% on 30 year fixed loans, the selling price of a loan @ 7% on the secondary market will actually be identical to a loan of the same amount at 4% when 4% was prevailing (yup we don't care about your rate, only where it is relative to what fannie will pay for it). This is true regardless of if it's a GSE buying it, or a South Korean Teacher's Pension Fund. 

    Fannie/freddie build the expectation of that interest rate, some chance of foreclosure, some chance of being paid back early, etc etc, into their calculations. They are for-profit enterprises, essentially buying high stability low return annuities. They have so dang many of these mortgages that they can afford to pay themselves with that little 4%. They are 100% perfectly fine with getting the 4% they were promised, it's when everyone goes belly up (2009 etc) that the taxpayers are on the hook.

    If rates go up and they need to unload those loans to buy some at future-higher rates because they want to make more money, they can sell the older lower rate 4% loans off on that same secondary market to gain access to that capital needed to buy some 7% loans. Or, if the prices offered for it aren't right, they can sit tight and still remain perfectly solvent collecting 4%.

    Think about it this way. Suppose rates go up. Suppose you've got, oh I don't know, $10bn in assets at 4% and your only job is to process the checks coming in. You're not even a landlord any more that has to fix the properties, you just collect the checks! If I give you $33m each and every month, do you think you could maybe find a way to process that $33m, maybe by using part of that $33m? I think you could find a way. In fact, I think you could find a way to process that $33m in monthly payments, AND have enough left over to purchase the sexy new investments available at 7%.

    Oh look at that! You just purchased some of that sexy 7% debt over the course of the last year. Now you don't just have $33m coming in each month, now you've got $38m coming in! Sweet. Let's process those checks, baby, and keep the money factory going.

    The GSE model works because of scale. You as a single individual, or even a modest sized firm, would indeed be in a tough spot with all your capital tied up earning only 4%. But the GSEs are GIANT, that's why it works for them. 

     Great insight Chris.  I'm not following you on being able to sell 4% loans for the same price they're purchased for if rates go to 7%?  maybe I'm misunderstanding you?  

    I'm basing my analysis on the market value of a loan going down if interest rates go up and the market value going up if interest rates go down...like a bond.  Assuming this is true for F/F, if they have to liquidate assets due to higher than expected defaults they'd take a big loss if interest rates were higher when they're forced to sell.  

    They're for profit and backstopped by the tax payer.  The profits are private and the losses are public naturally incentivizing them to take excessive risk. 

    I'm by no means an expert on the secondary debt market so thanks again for the dialogue.  :)

    George 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @George Gammon:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    @George Gammon- You're absolutely right I view things through a narrow lens. It's the lens I'm familiar with, being that I'm not an economist and do not pretend to be. :)

    "It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books. They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie. Why don't they want to keep it on their books? Because its a bad bet."

    Eh, I'm going to disagree with you here a little bit.

    We sell it on the secondary market because we need that money to lend to the next guy, not because it's bad debt (we're flippers like you might do with houses, but we flip debt). Not all of it goes to fannie/freddie, but a lot of it does. If rates go up to 7% on 30 year fixed loans, the selling price of a loan @ 7% on the secondary market will actually be identical to a loan of the same amount at 4% when 4% was prevailing (yup we don't care about your rate, only where it is relative to what fannie will pay for it). This is true regardless of if it's a GSE buying it, or a South Korean Teacher's Pension Fund. 

    Fannie/freddie build the expectation of that interest rate, some chance of foreclosure, some chance of being paid back early, etc etc, into their calculations. They are for-profit enterprises, essentially buying high stability low return annuities. They have so dang many of these mortgages that they can afford to pay themselves with that little 4%. They are 100% perfectly fine with getting the 4% they were promised, it's when everyone goes belly up (2009 etc) that the taxpayers are on the hook.

    If rates go up and they need to unload those loans to buy some at future-higher rates because they want to make more money, they can sell the older lower rate 4% loans off on that same secondary market to gain access to that capital needed to buy some 7% loans. Or, if the prices offered for it aren't right, they can sit tight and still remain perfectly solvent collecting 4%.

    Think about it this way. Suppose rates go up. Suppose you've got, oh I don't know, $10bn in assets at 4% and your only job is to process the checks coming in. You're not even a landlord any more that has to fix the properties, you just collect the checks! If I give you $33m each and every month, do you think you could maybe find a way to process that $33m, maybe by using part of that $33m? I think you could find a way. In fact, I think you could find a way to process that $33m in monthly payments, AND have enough left over to purchase the sexy new investments available at 7%.

    Oh look at that! You just purchased some of that sexy 7% debt over the course of the last year. Now you don't just have $33m coming in each month, now you've got $38m coming in! Sweet. Let's process those checks, baby, and keep the money factory going.

    The GSE model works because of scale. You as a single individual, or even a modest sized firm, would indeed be in a tough spot with all your capital tied up earning only 4%. But the GSEs are GIANT, that's why it works for them. 

     Great insight Chris.  I'm not following you on being able to sell 4% loans for the same price they're purchased for if rates go to 7%?  maybe I'm misunderstanding you?  

    I'm basing my analysis on the market value of a loan going down if interest rates go up and the market value going up if interest rates go down...like a bond.  Assuming this is true for F/F, if they have to liquidate assets due to higher than expected defaults they'd take a big loss if interest rates were higher when they're forced to sell.  

    They're for profit and backstopped by the tax payer.  The profits are private and the losses are public naturally incentivizing them to take excessive risk. 

    I'm by no means an expert on the secondary debt market so thanks again for the dialogue.  :)

    George 

     George, I think Chris is saying that the mortgage brokers/bankers lock the rates in with the existing customers, on the back-end with interest rate futures contracts and/or a purchase contract with the bulk buyers in the MBS market. So they're going to sell the 4% loans with a rate lock on it for the 30 or so day period until they can sell it to the MBS investors who are locked in at 4% without taking a hit (or they get compensated by changes with the interest rate futures hedges).

    Then that portfolio gets cleared out, and they start originating, locking, and selling 7% loans to the next batch of MBS pools. So they don't really care about the rate. Because they are doing the throughput game, presumably with adequate interest rate risk management and rate locks or contracts (on the back end) to mitigate the risk of a sudden change in rates on the pricing of the pipeline product.

    As long as no one defaults on the loans, Fannie/Freddie/GSE's don't pay anything on the credit guarantee. Only the private MBS holders lose on market value of the MBS pool, but continue to clip their 4% coupons.. There is a little confusion on the quote regarding the private seller re-selling the 4% pool into the 7% market though. There would certainly be losses - . But his other point is that they don't need to sell, and they will just buy some more 7% coupons in the next pool, and whatever it is after that. They have to constantly invest, so they just dollar-cost-average in..

    Not as profitable for mortgage banking when rates are on their way up though. Because the big refi activity slows down.

    George, to your point about a negative rate environment, and/or deflation, I'd always figured the "helicopter Ben" attitude would come out and the government would just stoke inflation. But then to stop it later, you have to bring short term rates up. If international long-term yields are still low and the US 10yr Treasury is low, do they invert the yield curve to stop inflation? Why hasn't Japan just dumped money until inflation starts?

    Anyway, I've though more about this, as I have a big pile of debt too. I was always happy to pay back the inflated debt. But if RE prices continue going up like this, and we're looking at a deflationary recession in the future, I would consider cashing some properties out and just waiting on the side line..

    Of course, I will be watching the market from my US road trip or SouthEast Asia, but I'm sure the diligent folks like Chris, yourself, and others, will hopefully keep us up to date on the market also :)

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @George Gammon

    "I'm basing my analysis on the market value of a loan going down if interest rates go up and the market value going up if interest rates go down...like a bond."

    And you're over-thinking it. Market value is irrelevant if it's an asset you never want to sell. Fannie isn't buying an interest rate, or something they want to resell, Fannie is buying $1254.33 per month. There is zero risk that rates going up will impact her getting her $1254.33 per month (let's pretend ARMs do not exist), and that could actually be a good thing because who in their right mind is going to refinance in that situation? 

    If rates go up, great! Fannie is going to take your $1254.33, pool it with a bunch of other P&I payments, and buy up some new assets that she will ALSO never sell. 

    It matters not where the current prevailing rates on those assets are. If a 2016 loan is 100 basis points for 4%, and a 2020 loan is 100 basis points for 7%, our gal Fannie is paying 100 basis points for both, at both periods in time.

    If you want 3% in 2016 instead of 4%, she maybe will only buy that loan if she is PAID 75 basis points. So the company could have made 100 basis points, but instead it has to pay Fannie 75 basis points to take this off our hands. OK. You my friend are going to pay 1.75 discount points at closing, and we're all set.

    Fannie is cool with that because she got her next little annuity that she never wants to sell at a discount (hence, "discount" points). 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:
    Originally posted by @George Gammon:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Not as profitable for mortgage banking when rates are on their way up though. Because the big refi activity slows down.

    And that, my friend, is exactly why I've already structured my business so that it's about 85%-90% purchase deals (with the timelines and realtors and contracts to honor and 50% more work, etc), while all my lender buddies doing 70%+ refinances are laughing at me. We will see who laughs last. :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y

    @J. MartinThanks.  I'm not really trying to state any opinion other than I strongly believe there's an under analysis of macro among real estate investors.  Hopefully I can impress that on a few people in BP and hopefully it'll help them.  Based on your post I've got a feeling we have a similar thinking process.  

    1.  Regarding neg rates I couldn't agree more.  I'm making an effort to present a case for both rising rates and falling rates.  Not to persuade people one way or the other but just get them thinking about it.  I just haven't had time to do a post about rates going lower.  

    To your point if the fed continues higher the probability of recession (if were not already in one) goes through the roof.  If I'm not mistaken there's historically a 65% chance of recession when the ISM gets this low?  Consumer confidence is down.  The fed gets so fixated on the unemployment rate but A. its a trailing indicator and B. does it matter with labor force participation where it is?  Regardless of unemployment rate we have fewer people working now and since most real wages haven't gone up spending most likely goes down.  

    It's obvious the natural path is deleverage.  But because of government and consumer debt the fed has to have inflation.  They've got to reduce the real value of that debt and the only way to do it is negative real rates and somehow getting velocity up.  

    I just don't know if taking rates negative, more QE and forward guidance will be enough to compete with the deflationary pressures in the system.  Currently I'm really trying to think through 5%+ neg rates and potential capital controls.  I'm not sure how I hedge that or profit from it?? 

    And then what if the fed succeeds and velocity does pick up?  With the money supply were it is you don't have to be Milton Friedman to know how that plays out. ;)   

    I'd love to see any other charts you're using to get a read on the current environment.  Did you watch the Ray Dalio economic machine vid?  If not you may enjoy it.  

    George

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y

    @J. MartinThanks.  I'm not really trying to state any opinion other than I strongly believe there's an under analysis of macro among real estate investors.  Hopefully I can impress that on a few people in BP and hopefully it'll help them.  Based on your post I've got a feeling we have a similar thinking process.  

    1.  Regarding neg rates I couldn't agree more.  I'm making an effort to present a case for both rising rates and falling rates.  Not to persuade people one way or the other but just get them thinking about it.  I just haven't had time to do a post about rates going lower.  

    To your point if the fed continues higher the probability of recession (if were not already in one) goes through the roof.  If I'm not mistaken there's historically a 65% chance of recession when the ISM gets this low?  Consumer confidence is down.  The fed gets so fixated on the unemployment rate but A. its a trailing indicator and B. does it matter with labor force participation where it is?  Regardless of unemployment rate we have fewer people working now and since most real wages haven't gone up spending most likely goes down.  

    It's obvious the natural path is deleverage.  But because of government and consumer debt the fed has to have inflation.  They've got to reduce the real value of that debt and the only way to do it is negative real rates and somehow getting velocity up.  

    I just don't know if taking rates negative, more QE and forward guidance will be enough to compete with the deflationary pressures in the system.  Currently I'm really trying to think through 5%+ neg rates and potential capital controls.  I'm not sure how I hedge that or profit from it?? 

    And then what if the fed succeeds and velocity does pick up?  With the money supply were it is you don't have to be Milton Friedman to know how that plays out. ;)   

    I'd love to see any other charts you're using to get a read on the current environment.  Did you watch the Ray Dalio economic machine vid?  If not you may enjoy it.  

    George

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y

    @J. MartinThanks. I'm not really trying to state any opinion other than I strongly believe there's an under analysis of macro among real estate investors. Hopefully I can impress that on a few people in BP and hopefully it'll help them. Based on your post I've got a feeling we have a similar thinking process.

    1. Regarding neg rates I couldn't agree more. I'm making an effort to present a case for both rising rates and falling rates. Not to persuade people one way or the other but just get them thinking about it. I just haven't had time to do a post about rates going lower.

    To your point if the fed continues higher the probability of recession (if were not already in one) goes through the roof. If I'm not mistaken there's historically a 65% chance of recession when the ISM gets this low? Consumer confidence is down. The fed gets so fixated on the unemployment rate but A. its a trailing indicator and B. does it matter with labor force participation where it is? Regardless of unemployment rate we have fewer people working now and since most real wages haven't gone up spending most likely goes down.

    It's obvious the natural path is deleverage. But because of government and consumer debt the fed has to have inflation. They've got to reduce the real value of that debt and the only way to do it is negative real rates and somehow getting velocity up.

    I just don't know if taking rates negative, more QE and forward guidance will be enough to compete with the deflationary pressures in the system. Currently I'm really trying to think through 5%+ neg rates and potential capital controls. I'm not sure how I hedge that or profit from it??

    And then what if the fed succeeds and velocity does pick up? With the money supply were it is you don't have to be Milton Friedman to know how that plays out. ;)

    I'd love to see any other charts you're using to get a read on the current environment. Did you watch the Ray Dalio economic machine vid? If not you may enjoy it.

    George

    @J. Martinundefined

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y

    @J. Martin

    Thanks. I'm not really trying to state any opinion other than I strongly believe there's an under analysis of macro among real estate investors. Hopefully I can impress that on a few people in BP and hopefully it'll help them. Based on your post I've got a feeling we have a similar thinking process.

    1. Regarding neg rates I couldn't agree more. I'm making an effort to present a case for both rising rates and falling rates. Not to persuade people one way or the other but just get them thinking about it. I just haven't had time to do a post about rates going lower.

    To your point if the fed continues higher the probability of recession (if were not already in one) goes through the roof. If I'm not mistaken there's historically a 65% chance of recession when the ISM gets this low? Consumer confidence is down. The fed gets so fixated on the unemployment rate but A. its a trailing indicator and B. does it matter with labor force participation where it is? Regardless of unemployment rate we have fewer people working now and since most real wages haven't gone up spending most likely goes down.

    It's obvious the natural path is deleverage. But because of government and consumer debt the fed has to have inflation. They've got to reduce the real value of that debt and the only way to do it is negative real rates and somehow getting velocity up.

    I just don't know if taking rates negative, more QE and forward guidance will be enough to compete with the deflationary pressures in the system. Currently I'm really trying to think through 5%+ neg rates and potential capital controls. I'm not sure how I hedge that or profit from it??

    And then what if the fed succeeds and velocity does pick up? With the money supply were it is you don't have to be Milton Friedman to know how that plays out. ;)

    I'd love to see any other charts you're using to get a read on the current environment. Did you watch the Ray Dalio economic machine vid? If not you may enjoy it.

    George

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:
    Originally posted by @George Gammon:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Not as profitable for mortgage banking when rates are on their way up though. Because the big refi activity slows down.

    And that, my friend, is exactly why I've already structured my business so that it's about 85%-90% purchase deals (with the timelines and realtors and contracts to honor and 50% more work, etc), while all my lender buddies doing 70%+ refinances are laughing at me. We will see who laughs last. :)

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    (I just reported this thread to the mods so they can clean up all our double posts. Mods, please delete this post when cleaning up too. Thanks mods!)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    (I just reported this thread to the mods so they can clean up all our double posts. Mods, please delete this post when cleaning up too. Thanks mods!)

     thx chris, sorry about that.  not sure what happened?? 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:
    Originally posted by @George Gammon:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    @George Gammon- You're absolutely right I view things through a narrow lens. It's the lens I'm familiar with, being that I'm not an economist and do not pretend to be. :)

    "It sounds like you're in residential lending so you know very few banks will keep long term fixed rate debt on their books. They immediately sell it to fannie/freddie. Why don't they want to keep it on their books? Because its a bad bet."

    Eh, I'm going to disagree with you here a little bit.

    We sell it on the secondary market because we need that money to lend to the next guy, not because it's bad debt (we're flippers like you might do with houses, but we flip debt). Not all of it goes to fannie/freddie, but a lot of it does. If rates go up to 7% on 30 year fixed loans, the selling price of a loan @ 7% on the secondary market will actually be identical to a loan of the same amount at 4% when 4% was prevailing (yup we don't care about your rate, only where it is relative to what fannie will pay for it). This is true regardless of if it's a GSE buying it, or a South Korean Teacher's Pension Fund. 

    Fannie/freddie build the expectation of that interest rate, some chance of foreclosure, some chance of being paid back early, etc etc, into their calculations. They are for-profit enterprises, essentially buying high stability low return annuities. They have so dang many of these mortgages that they can afford to pay themselves with that little 4%. They are 100% perfectly fine with getting the 4% they were promised, it's when everyone goes belly up (2009 etc) that the taxpayers are on the hook.

    If rates go up and they need to unload those loans to buy some at future-higher rates because they want to make more money, they can sell the older lower rate 4% loans off on that same secondary market to gain access to that capital needed to buy some 7% loans. Or, if the prices offered for it aren't right, they can sit tight and still remain perfectly solvent collecting 4%.

    Think about it this way. Suppose rates go up. Suppose you've got, oh I don't know, $10bn in assets at 4% and your only job is to process the checks coming in. You're not even a landlord any more that has to fix the properties, you just collect the checks! If I give you $33m each and every month, do you think you could maybe find a way to process that $33m, maybe by using part of that $33m? I think you could find a way. In fact, I think you could find a way to process that $33m in monthly payments, AND have enough left over to purchase the sexy new investments available at 7%.

    Oh look at that! You just purchased some of that sexy 7% debt over the course of the last year. Now you don't just have $33m coming in each month, now you've got $38m coming in! Sweet. Let's process those checks, baby, and keep the money factory going.

    The GSE model works because of scale. You as a single individual, or even a modest sized firm, would indeed be in a tough spot with all your capital tied up earning only 4%. But the GSEs are GIANT, that's why it works for them. 

     Great insight Chris.  I'm not following you on being able to sell 4% loans for the same price they're purchased for if rates go to 7%?  maybe I'm misunderstanding you?  

    I'm basing my analysis on the market value of a loan going down if interest rates go up and the market value going up if interest rates go down...like a bond.  Assuming this is true for F/F, if they have to liquidate assets due to higher than expected defaults they'd take a big loss if interest rates were higher when they're forced to sell.  

    They're for profit and backstopped by the tax payer.  The profits are private and the losses are public naturally incentivizing them to take excessive risk. 

    I'm by no means an expert on the secondary debt market so thanks again for the dialogue.  :)

    George 

     George, I think Chris is saying that the mortgage brokers/bankers lock the rates in with the existing customers, on the back-end with interest rate futures contracts and/or a purchase contract with the bulk buyers in the MBS market. So they're going to sell the 4% loans with a rate lock on it for the 30 or so day period until they can sell it to the MBS investors who are locked in at 4% without taking a hit (or they get compensated by changes with the interest rate futures hedges).

    Then that portfolio gets cleared out, and they start originating, locking, and selling 7% loans to the next batch of MBS pools. So they don't really care about the rate. Because they are doing the throughput game, presumably with adequate interest rate risk management and rate locks or contracts (on the back end) to mitigate the risk of a sudden change in rates on the pricing of the pipeline product.

    As long as no one defaults on the loans, Fannie/Freddie/GSE's don't pay anything on the credit guarantee. Only the private MBS holders lose on market value of the MBS pool, but continue to clip their 4% coupons.. There is a little confusion on the quote regarding the private seller re-selling the 4% pool into the 7% market though. There would certainly be losses - . But his other point is that they don't need to sell, and they will just buy some more 7% coupons in the next pool, and whatever it is after that. They have to constantly invest, so they just dollar-cost-average in..

    Not as profitable for mortgage banking when rates are on their way up though. Because the big refi activity slows down.

    George, to your point about a negative rate environment, and/or deflation, I'd always figured the "helicopter Ben" attitude would come out and the government would just stoke inflation. But then to stop it later, you have to bring short term rates up. If international long-term yields are still low and the US 10yr Treasury is low, do they invert the yield curve to stop inflation? Why hasn't Japan just dumped money until inflation starts?

    Anyway, I've though more about this, as I have a big pile of debt too. I was always happy to pay back the inflated debt. But if RE prices continue going up like this, and we're looking at a deflationary recession in the future, I would consider cashing some properties out and just waiting on the side line..

    Of course, I will be watching the market from my US road trip or SouthEast Asia, but I'm sure the diligent folks like Chris, yourself, and others, will hopefully keep us up to date on the market also :)

     Yes I understand what you guys are saying.  You can always just keep the debt and collect the interest. What I'm saying though is regardless of who is holding the debt IF we get large scale defaults whom ever is holding that debt will most likely have to sell for liquidity.  IF they have to sell that debt and interest rates are higher they're going to lose a lot.  I didn't realize F/F packaged and sold all the loans they buy from the originators, I was under the impression they kept a lot of that on their balance sheet? Makes sense they'd secruitze it.  

    If we see interest rates rise, it's hard for me to envision  a scenario where we don't have large scale defaults.  

    But I have to say, one thing that actually makes me less bearish is not everyone is bullish on housing.  And the only way for me to truly hold conviction on a thesis is if everyone is doing the opposite.  In 2006 you couldn't find a person that wasn't immensely bullish on housing.  In 2012 you couldn't find a person that wasn't immensely bullish on gold.  In 2009 every analyst on earth thought we'd get hyper inflation we didn't.  Now every analyst thinks we could get deflation, maybe now we'll get the inflation? 

    It just seems to be the way markets work.  

    Regarding helicopter ben...I've heard the next round of QE, if the do it, may go directly into the economy via infrastructure spending and/or tax cuts? Obviously their just trying to get velocity up.  That said Japan's been spending on infrastructure for 25 years and can't move the needle on velocity so it's again tough to see a non deflationary scenario.  

    I totally get what you're saying about the real value of you debt increasing in your portfolio and putting pressure on your cash flow.  What I personally do is make sure I have the same amount of cash as I do debt in my portfolio so I'm totally hedged in an inflationary environment or deflationary environment.  I do this by paying cash for a rental, adding value and then cash out refi every dollar I put in so I secure my equity and have a 50/50 cash debt position that's paying me a bit of yield through the positive cash flow.  If I see a good deal that I can get in and out of fast, so highly liquid, I deploy the cash.  But I'm always cognizant of the amount of debt and cash I have.  

    One thing I'd point out J. is even in a deflationary cycle rents might be insulated.  At least more so than other prices.  It's incredibly tough to see rents fall if home prices are decreasing unless the population of the area in which you have the rental is decreasing.  So if I had to choose between the risk reward of having too much debt and too much cash I might go for too much debt and roll the dice on inflation transferring that wealth to you?  

    But then you have the opportunity cost of not having enough cash if prices go down...

    It's never easy.  ;) 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

     George, I types responses to your comments/questions behind the J >>>> in bold above.

    I can't help but tag @Account Closedon this conversation..
    Minh, let me know next time you want to take a trip to Vegas and we can go talk to George ;)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 251 votes
    10y

    @J. Martinfantastic post! Let me try to respond in order...

    1.  Ok, so FF guarantees the debt they sell.  Goes back to my original statement: much of the risk is held by the tax payer.  

    2.  I agree but I'm really concerned about the trickle down effect from those defaults.  Combined with consumer purchasing power going down if credit card rates go up (thinking through my 30 year interest rate rising cycle scenario) and the purchasing power with home purchases collapsing due to interest rates rising.  Higher rates means less purchasing power means lower home prices.  But I definitely think neg rates are more probable over the short/mid term.  

    3.  Exactly.  I'm always most confident when everyone's on the other side of the boat.  

    3a.  The craziness in the VC world, or asset world in general, is artificially low interest rates force people to go further and further out on the risk curve.  That's why I'm very apprehensive about neg rates...how far out on that risk curve will people go to find yield?  The more malinvestment we have the bigger potential problem we're creating.  

    4.  No we're saying the same thing.  I was just jumping from one to the other in my head without writing down how I'm connecting the dots.  I'm not as thorough when I respond to your posts because I know you get it.  

    5.  Yes, it's actually easier with less money to a certain extent because once you do the cash out refi you have less capital to allocate.  It's much easier to find 250k worth of deals than 1 mil.  As far as the opportunity costs, I just try to find flips outside the US to put the cash to work while I wait to see what happens with the US.  Email me and I can explain further if you'd like.  

    6.  Couldn't agree more! ;)  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.