Buying property in Tacoma area - rookie question

Buying property in Tacoma area - rookie question

Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes

Hi, I am looking to buy a property in Tacoma area. I started networking with local wholesalers in REI forums, but not great luck so far.

As of online, I am primarily using redfin. Are there other sites I should also look at? Thoughts?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
10y

Tons of flips and development opportunities in Tacoma. I have 8 going right now and the margins are all good. But you win' find them on the MLs unless it's a short plat deal.

Keep in mind that Tacoma just changed their permit system and now you can't smooze your way to get quick permits (as of last month I believe). Everything now has to be done electrically and I recommend getting an architect for even basic flips in Tacoma.

Might be looking 2-3 months for permits.

For the many that don't believe in permiting everything, you probably are not doing enough volume to be familiar with Labor and Industries. Real fun stuff! You have to permit everything.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Hey Rudy, message me and we can chat a bit more.  I wholesale properties in Tacoma...

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    I'm new to bp but am also interested in a fix and flip in Tacoma. I went and looked at about 15 houses on Monday and now have a greater appreciation for the market down there (I live in Seattle). The most interesting one I saw was a house owned by the VA on a 9500 sqft lot that looked like it could be subdivided. It went pending that day...

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Keever..How is the competition out there in Tacoma? Are there lot of bidding wars?

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Rudy,  I just started looking but it seems the numbers are fairly tight for fix and flip.  Like I said the most interesting property I looked at went pending the day I looked at it.  I think its competitive but not impossible to find a deal.

  • Wholesaler · Renton, WA · Member since 2016 · 93 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Rudy Manna @Kyle Keever Yes numbers are definitely tight for fix and flip. I just had a property under contract in Fircrest area, they asked for highest and best because there were 20+ offers. We came back with the highest price but after getting contractors out there, the numbers were too tight. If we werent doing HML we could have made it work though.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
    10y

    Tons of flips and development opportunities in Tacoma. I have 8 going right now and the margins are all good. But you win' find them on the MLs unless it's a short plat deal.

    Keep in mind that Tacoma just changed their permit system and now you can't smooze your way to get quick permits (as of last month I believe). Everything now has to be done electrically and I recommend getting an architect for even basic flips in Tacoma.

    Might be looking 2-3 months for permits.

    For the many that don't believe in permiting everything, you probably are not doing enough volume to be familiar with Labor and Industries. Real fun stuff! You have to permit everything.

  • Puyallup, WA · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Ryland Taniguchi - thank you for posting that update about Tacoma's permitting system. It's unfortunate, but it's good to know!

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes
    10y

    Looking for a a good investor friendly realtor knowledgeable in Tacoma area. Referrals please.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.