Small 'Commercial' MultiFamily vs. Small Residential Multifamily

Small 'Commercial' MultiFamily vs. Small Residential Multifamily

Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes

I had a meeting with my lender at 8 this morning - I have a great relationship with a branch manager of a local, regional bank - and one goal was to get me a face-to-face meeting with the head of their commercial lending department. It was a great "get to know you" session for the commercial guy and I, and I think he was pleasantly surprised with my grasp of the basics, the deals I've found so far, and our goals looking forward. At one point he asked me if I was interested in the 'larger' multifamily properties, and I told him the truth: Right now, in my area, I'm really not. This was the example I used to show him why (among other reasons, of course):

I'm closing on a deal a week from today: it's a quad, built in 1989, great tenant history, good location, good opportunity to add some value when the long term tenants go. Once it's stabilized, gross monthly rents will be $2600. Purchase price is $96,000. (And I got 13.5 acres of additional land, separate from this property's lot, along with this deal for $1000.)

Note: this isn't a warzone, or other horrible area. I own a SFR about a minute away that my wife and I used to live in, and we now live about 5 minutes away. We're currently looking at a Triplex with similar numbers to this property (to prove this isn't an aberration.)

Meanwhile, on LoopNet, about 3 minutes from this property is a 16 unit complex - 2 buildings. Built around 2000, it's all 2 bedroom units. Definitely some deferred maintenance, similar location, similar pretty much everything to the quad we're closing on. 

NOI is given to be $67,860. Cap Rate given is 7.52% (which I think is about right for around here) which makes the asking price: $900,000.

But why on God's Green Earth would I want to spend $900,000 on a 16 unit, 2 building complex, when I can likely buy 16 units split between 4 buildings locally for less than $400,000? I guess I'm just not seeing what the extra half a million dollars gets me here? 

This is pretty much why I'm not at all interested in commercial multi-family in my area. I'm still relatively new, so I almost feel like there must be something HUGE I'm missing here: can someone please point out what that might be, gently? 

Thanks!

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Buffalo NY · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 33 votes
7y

@Jason V. I would rather pay 100k more to have 16 units in one loan, one closing, one roof, one foundation than 4 separate 4 plex units.

I agree, 500k more means it's overpriced!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    I think you have it right.  I believe multi family is overpriced right now. In my area that includes small multi families. Markets change, adapt to the market and go with what looks to give the best return for the period you expect to hold. 

    With interest rates so low there is a LOT of money looking for a place to go. A lot of it has gone into real estate. I believe a lot has been put there by people who don't understand the fundamentals. Big money is not always smart money. 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Ned Carey - What you're saying lines up with what I've been seeing and hearing, I just didn't think the difference could be this pronounced. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Jason V.

    That is a large mis-alignment and the 16-unit is vastly overpriced.   Your cost per unit should, at worst, be the same between the residential buildings (3-4 units) and a small multi-unit (12 - 24 units) - provided the sizes, amenities and finishes are the same calibre.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y

    @Roy N - I agree with you, I'm just trying to figure out the 'why' and the 'how' of the 16 unit being so overpriced. 

    If you screw with the numbers for the sake of argument, changing the Cap Rate a point, it changes the value by about $100,000. If you drop NOI by 10%, price goes down 10% (obviously) and so on.

    But the asking price of $900,000 on this, which seems to follow the industry standard, is about 100% off in my book. Even at $700,000, which some investors might consider a huge discount, it's still $250,000-$300,000 high in my book.

    Do I just live in a screwy market that doesn't support standard pricing on 'larger' multifamily properties? Is anyone else seeing a similar situation in their market?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Jason:

    Every market is different.   Presently, in the core of the City here, you will be looking at $75K - $90K per unit regardless if the building is a quadraplex or a 16 unit. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo NY · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Jason V. I would rather pay 100k more to have 16 units in one loan, one closing, one roof, one foundation than 4 separate 4 plex units.

    I agree, 500k more means it's overpriced!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.