Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 7 votes
So I am trying to get a tax delinquent list from a county in Washington in order to contact raw land owners behind on their property taxes to see if they'd be interested in selling.
On the document required by the county to get the records, you're required to sign a statement saying you will not use the information for commercial purposes.
I am hesitant to buy the list and use to solicit land sales as that seems like "commercial purposes." Any thoughts?
Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
10y
I am interested in what responses you get here, as I am interested in the answer too. I will give you my two cents, however. Commercial purposes would mean solicitation or having a motive for profit. It sounds like from what you intend to do with the tax delinquent list, this would be illegal. That being said, many real estate investors operate in the grey area and get away with it. You have to be smart about it and do your research. Some states are harder about this than others.
Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 7 votes
10y
I have spoken with a dozen other counties in this state that have not required this, so I'm wondering if I'll just skip this county. I am going to try to make money off this list, so I can't in good conscience sign that statement. I really don't want to operate in a "gray area" as dark as this one...
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2012 · 543 posts · 311 votes
10y
Talk to the county's Attorney. Let him/her know your plan and find out whether the attorney considers your plan a violation of the county's "no commercial purpose" clause. If the Attorney disallows your intended use of their list, find out the legal basis the county is using to justify such a ban. Have your own attorney look over the county's legal theory. It could be the county is exceeding their authority.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y
Call the tax collector and ask them your question.. they will be able to answer what purpose they put that statement in there for.. It could be simply your not allowed to resell the list.. Not that you cannot use the list to buy and sell property.. I highly doubt that's the case as in 99% of people buying tax foreclosures are doing exactly that buying the property for the intent of resale..
Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 7 votes
10y
I asked about it and was told there is a law about it--Washington State Legislature RCW 42.56.070(9)
"Documents and Indexes to be Made Public" which states among other things that
"This chapter shall not be construed as giving authority to any agency, the office of the secretary of the senate, or the office of the chief clerk of the house of representatives to give, sell or provide access to lists of individuals requested for commercial purposes, and agencies, the office of the secretary of the senate, and the office of the chief clerk of the house of representatives shall not do so unless specifically authorized or directed by law"