Buying 4 properties should I combine into 1 loan or 4 separate?

Buying 4 properties should I combine into 1 loan or 4 separate?

Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I am looking to buy four rent and hold properties from an investor who is selling them all together. Should I get one combined loan ,or four individual loans? I want the pros and cons of both. I have plans to purchase other properties in the future and want to know which loan is better for this.  

0Reply
23 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 30 votes
    10y
    Hi Sheldon Jones ! From what I understand if you plan to invest further you should combine into 1 loan.
  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Julie L. thanks for your input is their any particular reasons you suggest that 

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    They are all being financed by the seller? I would suggest having a separate contract and separate note for each so they can be paid off individually or refinanced individually without as much headache. Likewise with a commercial loan unless the savings in fees would be substantial and terms are good.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 30 votes
    10y
    Sheldon Jones I believe once you get over four loans and under ten the number of lenders available becomes lower. Anything over ten you have to go to other options like portfolio loans.
  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jassem A. they are NOT being financed by the seller.

  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Julie L. that's one of my concerns i want to maximize the amount of loans available before i have to look into other forms of financing for future purchases  

  • Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    10y
    I'd start talking to local small banks and credit unions. Try to get a portfolio loan to cover all four at once. Save a bundle on closing costs, for certain. I believe I was just reading a different thread last week about B2R Finance offering a loan for situations like this. Maybe check them out?
  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks will do

  • Real Estate Investor/ Lender · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hi @Sheldon Jones, the loan type will depend upon your future exit strategy. Planning to hold the portfolio for 5 or more years, a single portfolio loan can work to your advantage. The term is usually 5/10 years with a 30yr am schedule. The portfolio is underwritten based on cash flow and minimum DSCR requirements. This option also allows the flexibility of financing in LLC with non-recourse option. Congrats and I hope all works out with acquiring the portfolio of rentals. Happy to help with financing options and questions, Inbox me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.