How do you choose a market when investing out a state?

How do you choose a market when investing out a state?

Investor · Stockton, CA · Member since 2014 · 167 posts · 49 votes

Say, you live in area where its impossible to invest locally for one or the other reasons such as local price too high, your state is nearing the peak (example - California) etc. Besides all the reasoning for not investing out of state, you still want to do it because you are confident or you just want to get in the game etc. The big question is how do you pick the market and that's what alot of investors are struggling with and here are few things i would like to discuss with you good people.

  • Price point - say i have 250k for down payment and i want to start with a million dollar or so multi family with a price of about 25k a Door, i can obviously get rid of larger markets such as NYC, Chicago, Miami, pretty much most of the metros in the country
  • Do you start building relations and invest in market where you feel you have strong 'Boots in the ground'
  • Do you invest in area where you are most likely to visit for other purposes such as family, other businesses etc?
  • Do you just pick a market based on your strategy (flipping, buy & hold etc) and then find 'boots on the ground'?

Please throw some light and give your 2 cents on such dilemna other investors are facing as well.

2Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 20 votes
10y

I'm leaning toward price point and where I can fly to within a reasonable time frame.  I've considered places where family are located however not good markets for me at this time. I'm also looking for a market for buy and holds as I can't fathom stomaching a flip out of state. Too much trust on a newly created team.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I'm leaning toward price point and where I can fly to within a reasonable time frame.  I've considered places where family are located however not good markets for me at this time. I'm also looking for a market for buy and holds as I can't fathom stomaching a flip out of state. Too much trust on a newly created team.

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    If I were you I would first decide what kind of investing I want to do. From there Id research and figure out which regions can support or have markets for that investing. Then pick a location you like, is convenient, etc....

  • Matthew PorcaroBusiness Member
    Lender · Long Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 456 posts · 336 votes
    10y

    Look for job growth primarily. Population growth/migration to the city. Here in New York people are leaving in droves. I'm sure it's the same with Cali. 

    Digging deeper, if you're looking to buy and hold investing, check if they are landlord friendly states with good eviction laws. Typically red (republican) states have the most landlord friendly laws, so that's a good place to start. 

    The 203k Way
  • Investor · Stockton, CA · Member since 2014 · 167 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kathy Villagomez:

    I'm leaning toward price point and where I can fly to within a reasonable time frame.  I've considered places where family are located however not good markets for me at this time. I'm also looking for a market for buy and holds as I can't fathom stomaching a flip out of state. Too much trust on a newly created team.

     I am pretty much in the same situation like you are, don't want to flip, don't have much family in other states & long term goal is to buy & hold... Have you narrowed it down to certain markets that you don't mind sharing?

  • Marques J.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Medford, OR · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I have done exactly this in the past few months. I choose my market, flew out, lined up my team and I have now completed 2 rehabs in this Market remotely with nothing major coming up.

    I have been looking at the same size multi family projects. I choose my area based on lots of factors but rent yield and the success of the area are most important.   

    Mistakes I made? Contractor number 1 burned me by trying to charge 3k for a 700 patio (idiot I had so much work for him) so I challenged it on my credit card and one. So paying a deposit didn't work well. I now have different selection criteria.

    I try to protect myself by making good sound decisions hedging my bets as best I can. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.