1. Tear Old House Down 2. Put New House Up

4 Replies

Hey all, 

I have a situation that I am trying to think of a solution for. 

I just recently went and looked at a house that is in a great neighborhood and has a great 1 acre lot. It's an REO, they are asking 52k, the ARV is 135k-145k.

The house needs to be tear down. It is not structurally safe and would be nothing but a money pit if I did buy it. I know I can't pay near what they are asking.

I thought about buying it anyway (Only at the right price), tearing it down, and either rebuilding or putting a modular home on it. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make something happen with this deal. I know that there is a point that I need to walk away from the property, but I want to exercise my mind by trying to come up with other solutions. 

What are the costs of a modular home? Would I be able to do a cash refi at the end to pull some money back out of it? I would actually like to live in this area but not only if it makes sense. 

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Can you even put a modular home? Arent they allow only in trailer parks?

Is this a high end? No body going to buy it. If it not comforming.

@Taye N. , I'm not 100% sure if a modular would be allowed. I wouldn't want to just put in a regular modular home. I would want to put in one that look similar to the homes around it.
Maybe a 3/2, about 2000 square feet, two stories, and with an attached car garage.

Remember that the property will always be labeled as a modular home which could impact resale value.  There are decent modular homes out on the market, but it will always lag behind a traditional stick built home.  Also, I believe there are more stringent lending requirements from Fannie Mac/Freddie Mac but don't quote me on that one.

if you replace like for like sure. But modular homes sell for significantly less.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.