I am new and getting nervous about my first buy

I am new and getting nervous about my first buy

Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes

First of all, thank you for reading.

I am 24 and I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee I have made my goals for the year ending 2017...to have one owned hack house and one investment property. I have access to 40k liquid and have spoken with hard money lenders about pursuing an interest only loan with the goal to refinance after 12 months. my problem is quite common. I am having issues finding deals. I just offered on a for sale by owner and it was shot down real quick (expected) My big question is (If you were in my shoes, how would you go about getting your first deal using creative financing? I have all the pieces lined up, but I feel like my market is tapped due to the high amounts of sellers increasing home values. should I be contacting landlords for portfolio properties, old run down houses, fsbo, or pre-foreclosures...offering to buy the owner out of their foreclosure?)

thanks so much for the input everyone! 

1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2015 · 400 posts · 432 votes
9y

Welcome @Jonathan Wooten, 

You are in a great position and your goal can be accomplished with dedication and hard work! Which it looks like you already possess these qualities, you're on BP! 

Don't get discouraged with getting shot down, you might find yourself putting many offers in before having one accepted. *Don't sacrifice being a wise investor to just get a property* 

Problem: Finding Deals

  • Have you connected with an investor friendly agent? 
  • Have you connected with local BP members? Considered going to meet ups? 
  • Are you pre-qualified for your first home? (Call Comtrust FCU, see person below)

Big Question: If I were in your shoes...

  • I was just in your shoes. I bought a house hack, then a REO BRRRR cash out refinance, and now Im am working on my first flip. Personally I think you're doing this in the right order! A house hack is the best way to enter real estate investing. (IMO)
  • If I were you I would go FHA on the house hack, keep the bulk of that 40k to get your BRRRR after you have your house hack stabilized. What I mean is that it might need some work, get that done. Get a quality tenant in there, move into your side, possibly find a roommate? (With that FHA loan you will have PMI for the life of the loan, weigh out the benefits and make the best financial decision possible)
  • Then start looking for your next rental. During all this you act like a sponge, listening to all the podcasts, being active on the forums, and reading any book you can get your hands on. Audio books work as well. 
  • Use your money to partner with hard money and cash out refinance out in 6 months. (This can be done! Talk to Dana Bolin at Comtrust Federal Credit Union in Tennessee. They don't have time frames on cash out refinancing) I knew this connection would help someone one day, they have a branch in CT but the guidelines are different. She is extremely nice and I wish I could use them! 
  • Once you have that property, get the work done as fast as possible and don't sacrifice quality. If you get tenants in the house within two months they will pay the interest only loan for you. They will most likely cover all costs until you can refinance, which will leave you in a better cash flow position. 
  • TAXES: Don't be so aggressive on your taxes. This hurt me when I went to refinance. I had too many loses on my house hack and I couldn't get financing. Just be smart and consult a CPA if you need. 

It is GREAT to find off market deals. Just be cautious when buying them as a new investor. 

Don't give up Jonathan! You can do this! 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2015 · 400 posts · 432 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Jonathan Wooten, 

    You are in a great position and your goal can be accomplished with dedication and hard work! Which it looks like you already possess these qualities, you're on BP! 

    Don't get discouraged with getting shot down, you might find yourself putting many offers in before having one accepted. *Don't sacrifice being a wise investor to just get a property* 

    Problem: Finding Deals

    • Have you connected with an investor friendly agent? 
    • Have you connected with local BP members? Considered going to meet ups? 
    • Are you pre-qualified for your first home? (Call Comtrust FCU, see person below)

    Big Question: If I were in your shoes...

    • I was just in your shoes. I bought a house hack, then a REO BRRRR cash out refinance, and now Im am working on my first flip. Personally I think you're doing this in the right order! A house hack is the best way to enter real estate investing. (IMO)
    • If I were you I would go FHA on the house hack, keep the bulk of that 40k to get your BRRRR after you have your house hack stabilized. What I mean is that it might need some work, get that done. Get a quality tenant in there, move into your side, possibly find a roommate? (With that FHA loan you will have PMI for the life of the loan, weigh out the benefits and make the best financial decision possible)
    • Then start looking for your next rental. During all this you act like a sponge, listening to all the podcasts, being active on the forums, and reading any book you can get your hands on. Audio books work as well. 
    • Use your money to partner with hard money and cash out refinance out in 6 months. (This can be done! Talk to Dana Bolin at Comtrust Federal Credit Union in Tennessee. They don't have time frames on cash out refinancing) I knew this connection would help someone one day, they have a branch in CT but the guidelines are different. She is extremely nice and I wish I could use them! 
    • Once you have that property, get the work done as fast as possible and don't sacrifice quality. If you get tenants in the house within two months they will pay the interest only loan for you. They will most likely cover all costs until you can refinance, which will leave you in a better cash flow position. 
    • TAXES: Don't be so aggressive on your taxes. This hurt me when I went to refinance. I had too many loses on my house hack and I couldn't get financing. Just be smart and consult a CPA if you need. 

    It is GREAT to find off market deals. Just be cautious when buying them as a new investor. 

    Don't give up Jonathan! You can do this! 

  • Investor · Nashville & Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 182 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Wooten - Cleveland/Chattanooga is not tapped out and is a great area in my opinion. You have to spend time searching for the right type of seller. Don't waste your time on mls or for sale by owner properties. Identify the area you want to invest in and start marketing to owners directly. You will find a motivated seller that way.

  • Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I have  looked at the mls with a few Realtors,but not alot of options there in this market (so far) so I've looking at door knocking and direct mail. from those 2 things, what makes more sense and what do the numbers as far as acceptance to ask ratio look like? 1 in 100? 1 in 500? thanks guys 

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Jonathan,
    Good for you. Sounds like you're doing all of the right things. I am house hacking in Chattanooga, and I found my deal on hudhomestore.com. It's the HUD website. I run the numbers on almost every Hamilton County property, and maybe 25% of them could make sense for an investor.These are also on the MLS, I think, though. I actually just checked it and there's not jack on there right now. I would also highly recommend the realtor that I used for my property. She is very professional, and her husband is an active investor. I didn't really know what I was doing my first time around, and they really guided me in the right direction. Her name is Deanna Lindsey. PM me and I'll see if I can send you her contact info. BP just kicked back my post because I tried to give you her phone number.

    Best of luck!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Wooten

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Investor · Nashville & Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 182 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Wooten - acceptance ratios very on a multitude of factors, but here are some educated opinions:

    • Acceptance is higher when you target your variables to be more towards the type of seller you are looking for, versus blind mass marketing (for example, if you target sellers that have owned a house for more than 15 years, in the zip code you are looking to buy and the type of house you are wanting to buy; compared to sending out mailings to everyone in a zip code)
    • I've found driving for dollars to yield more return compared to blanket mailing in an area
    • I've found folks who have owned their house for more than 10 years are more willing to sell at my targeted ARV price compared to those who have owned less than 10 years

    Its real easy to market to potential sellers:

    1. Identify your criteria (type of property you are looking for, neighborhood/zip you are looking for and price range)
    2. Identify the owners of those properties
    3. Send out mailings
    4. Repeat mailings every 30 days
    5. When the right seller gets your mailing at the right time (when they are highly motivated to sell), you will find a deal
  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    Maybe it's not the best time to jump in. Of course there are deals in any markets. But think how big advantages those well connected investors, like REIT companies and veteran investors, over you. It really takes luck and a lot of patience and time to find a good deal. My suggestion is to keep your eyes open and wait for some time.

  • Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    zeke, I don't expect it to be easy, but I do expect to gain as much knowledge as possible through these forums and other outputs to increase my overall return by fixing mistakes in the beginning with time as opposed to future financial troubles by not asking

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Wooten,

    I'm glad to see that another 24 year old is perusing this path.  I just purchased my first house hacking property about a month ago in Chattanooga.  Deals are out there, so don't give up on looking.  PM me and I can connect you with some people that have helped me out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.