I'm finally a cash buyer... Now what

I'm finally a cash buyer... Now what

Ashland, OH · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes

So not long ago I posted a thread asking for advice on becoming a real estate investor. I got some good responses on many different ways and I did some of my own footwork and I have managed to secure $100k through private investors for real estate. In a lunch meeting with the investor on Saturday he pretty much gave me fair game in the type of real estate to invest in, ie. rentals, flips, full out reno, turn key, duplex, triplex, ect. My question now is, where do I start. From the seasoned veterans here, what do you think is the best way to go. If it helps curb your advice, the area where I will be purchasing is Ashland, Ohio. Small town, low cost of living and housing. I found a very nice 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom property that had some recent reno and a new roof in 2015 but at the same time could use a few cosmetic touch ups. Asking price is $59k but obviously as a cash buyer, money talks (it also helps that I know the realtor). I've looked into comps in the area and the well done and clean looking properties are running in the $75k and up range, where are the ones that need a little TLC are running in the $40k range. That's a very large gap and its slightly concerning. However, I did notice that the area seems to do well with renters. Rent ranged anywhere from $600 to $800 monthly, depending on the luxury of the property. What are some thoughts on options for this property, if its the right one at all. What are key factors to look for in a property to really draw attention, whether its from a rental or a flip? All advice is good advice. Thanks!

0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 458 votes
    9y

    @Kyle Metzger

    I know a lot of people have a lot of different opinions, but I would strongly recommend that if you have $100k to start with, you start with a buy and hold. Too many things can go wrong if your only exit strategy is to flip. 

    As for this property, a flip doesn't seem to make sense. There's not a whole lot of room for you to make any money on improvements. Just closing costs and touch ups will easily take your whole potential profit.

    As a buy and hold, it might make sense, but we need some more information. I wrote a blog post a while back about understanding the numbers to consider when analyzing a property. Take a look. I hope it helps!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/6815/45137-my-...

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Kyle Metzger,

    Unless you can buy it right for a flip, you'll need to evaluate the buy-and-hold cash flow at or near the asking price.

    As Kevin pointed out, this doesn't look good as a flip unless you can get it  below that $40K number, and even that's still pretty marginal on profit: $20K repairs, $15K profit at $75K, if you can get that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.