Canton, OH or other surrounding areas in Ohio

Canton, OH or other surrounding areas in Ohio

Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 11 votes
I have a friend who just moved to Ohio and is assigning houses. He sends me a few houses and telling me that the homes are cheap as I can see and that the inventory is wide open. He is particularly telling me about Canton. Does anybody have any info to help?
1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Sagamore Hills, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 27 votes
9y

Jean - I have been investing in North Canton since 2007 with single family and multi family rentals and have seen great appreciation and high quality tenants.  Over the 5 units I have in North Canton, they average approximately 1 month of vacancy every 30 months.  North Canton is a great community with a great school system. 

The only problem with North Canton is that its hard to make the numbers work since the price per square foot is high (i.e. $125,000 for a 3 bed 1.5 bath 1250 sq. ft. which will rent for $1,250).  So you have to keep your eye open and be willing to put in some sweat equity to get a property at a discount and beat the 1% rule).

Canton City is much less per square foot and has (according to the school rating systems) a less quality school system.  Some neighborhoods in Canton are pretty bad, but some are consider 'C class'.  But what Ryan said above is true - Canton City has been seeing significant improvement over the last 2 years and there is much more coming.

Point being, Canton and North Canton are two entirely different communities.  If you want to buy in Canton (which I am looking into as well since the numbers work so well), make sure you stick to the Plain Local School District (i.e. Glen Oak).  I would avoid anything inner city as of right now.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about a house you found or a location.

Good luck!

Tony

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Blacklick, OH · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 253 votes
    9y

    @Jean Pierre 

    I live in Columbus Ohio and my wife is from Canton.  Based off my many visits there to see family, north canton and jackson are great areas.  Canton in general is seeing an improvement with new commercial development(bars, restaurants, strip malls) but I believe it's mostly in north canton.  Other areas in ohio that are talked a lot on BP about are Akron, Cleveland and Columbus.  Let me know if you're interested in Columbus market, it's the area I focus on

  • Rental Property Investor · Sagamore Hills, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Jean - I have been investing in North Canton since 2007 with single family and multi family rentals and have seen great appreciation and high quality tenants.  Over the 5 units I have in North Canton, they average approximately 1 month of vacancy every 30 months.  North Canton is a great community with a great school system. 

    The only problem with North Canton is that its hard to make the numbers work since the price per square foot is high (i.e. $125,000 for a 3 bed 1.5 bath 1250 sq. ft. which will rent for $1,250).  So you have to keep your eye open and be willing to put in some sweat equity to get a property at a discount and beat the 1% rule).

    Canton City is much less per square foot and has (according to the school rating systems) a less quality school system.  Some neighborhoods in Canton are pretty bad, but some are consider 'C class'.  But what Ryan said above is true - Canton City has been seeing significant improvement over the last 2 years and there is much more coming.

    Point being, Canton and North Canton are two entirely different communities.  If you want to buy in Canton (which I am looking into as well since the numbers work so well), make sure you stick to the Plain Local School District (i.e. Glen Oak).  I would avoid anything inner city as of right now.

    Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about a house you found or a location.

    Good luck!

    Tony

  • Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the responses.. what would be considered north canton. I am coming up in January to take a look around I would love to meet with anyone that may be available. I don't know the exact dates yet but I'll keep anyone interested updated.
  • Rental Property Investor · Sagamore Hills, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Jean - I would be more than happy to meet up with you and answer any questions you have.  Feel free to reach out to me when you are getting closer to your trip date and we can work something out.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    What do you guys think about the job stability in North Canton, Akron, and Columbus? Are there any strong corporations out there? 

    Would love to hear more about the economic engines out there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sagamore Hills, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Rohan,

    North Canton:  Diebold,Timken, and Walsh University

    Akron: Bridgestone/Firestone, Curtiss-Wright, Alro Steel, The University of Akron

    Columbus: Im not the best guy to answer this one, but there is a lot with respect to the university and its heavy in the finance and insurance industries. 

    Those are just a few big name companies, but in my opinion, the job stability on those 3 cities is positive.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    @Tony R. Yagiela appreciate the info man - thanks for the headsup!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 28 votes
    4y

    No Jobs in Canton!
    Unless you want to Door Dash or Uber 

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tony Guardado:

    No Jobs in Canton!
    Unless you want to Door Dash or Uber 

    Why is that?
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 133 votes
    4y
    This is a lot of great info on the Canton market!  Thanks guys!
  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I appreciate your breakdown of the Canton market! @Tony R. Yagiela

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.