Realtor advises against making official lowball offers - your take?

Realtor advises against making official lowball offers - your take?

Renton, WA · Member since 2009 · 127 posts · 15 votes

In a search for my own property I finally got one under contract. It's a short sale and they've got 30 days to get the lien holder approval (they actually advertised it as pre-negotiated, but wanted 90 days for this).

In the meantime, I want to keep searching and making offers on properties.

My Realtor doesn't seem to be inclined to make official low ball offers - his reasoning is that it's "insulting" to the seller's agent and wastes everyone's time. This is a conversation we had over the phone yesterday:
Me: I don't want to waste your time and money by driving out and looking at all these properties, considering we already got one under contract. I still want to keep looking though, that's why I want to make some lowball offers on other properties.
Him: that's fine, but sending an email message saying "my client wants to offer $50k less than you're asking - how do you feel about that - should we even submit an official offer?" is far more effective than straight out shooting an official offer for a lowball price. Otherwise the agent will think "what are you stupid - why are you wasting my time with this"?

Any advice? Is he trying to save himself from doing extra work? As far as I know, an official offer MUST be passed onto the owner, whereas a lowball "email" offer doesn't have to be.

Thanks!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2008 · 97 posts · 38 votes
17y

I always loved that "insult" comeback.

Tell your Realtor "That's not an insult that's just a number, if I call you fat and ugly, that's an insult !!! Now please put the offer in or I will find another agent"

and yes I do know someone who used that........ :D

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    17y

    Are you offering on REOs? You should work on finding deals that are just priced lower so you are not 40% off the list price. Usually asset managers are only authorized to negotiate 5-10% off without senior management approval.

    Making many offers is a lot of work, but if your agent isn't willing to deal you should consider finding someone else.
    If you make the offer a PDF, leave the price and address blank you can usually only edit one page per offer. Maybe if you offer to do that part he will be more anxious?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    You need a different realtor!

    It's obvious your Realtor is more concerned with commission.

    Offer what you know is a good price to purchase the home. Your Realtor is supposed to be on your team NOT the listing agents team.

  • Renton, WA · Member since 2009 · 127 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    Some of these are REOs, some aren't...

    Now, I do have another realtor who's willing to make these offers for me.

    But when it comes to my personal residence - if I already spent lots of time with one realtor and he showed me a lot of proprties, and now we have a place under contract with him - would it be very bad "relationship" practice to start writing offers with another realtor? If we end up buying a place with the 2nd realtor - the 1st realtor will probably never want to work with me again...

    As far as "email offers" go - are those useless?

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    17y

    I second what Nick said. It really sounds like he's looking out for himself. Who gives a _______ what the seller's agent thinks. His job is to represent his client and they will either counter, accept, or tell you to pound sand, which leaves you no differently than where you are at.

    Email offers are useless because it's not a legal offer. A legal offer has to be considered even if the consideration is to say no. I would find someone a little hungrier. Also, you might want to think about doing more of the legwork yourself to alleviate the costs if you are going to be low balling.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Takes a lot of time to make offers? No, it doesn't. If you and your agent get set up with electronic contracts, it shouldn't take the agent more than a couple of minutes per offer. If you're making dozens, yes, that's some time. If you're making a half dozen at a time it should not be a big deal.

    If you're doing them on paper (why?) it takes longer, but still no more than a few minutes. Start with a blank contract with all the terms and signatures. Make copies. Fill in the address, legal, and offer price. Fax it over.

    If you really are making dozens of offers a day, I'd think you would want to automate this and just fax an offer directly to the listing agent.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Ivan Jouikov:
    If we end up buying a place with the 2nd realtor - the 1st realtor will probably never want to work with me again...




    who cares! It's your primary residence. If you don't like the realtor, then fire him/her.

    I'm not a complete realtor hater/basher because I actually do love them(the good ones) but you have to look out for yourself and not worry about them especially when it comes to your personal residence.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    17y

    You can also use your mail merge function on Microsoft Word to input the data into your contracts. This would require your contracts to be in Word, maybe your agent has a Word version or you can re-type it in Word.

    You can also sumbit your lowball offers directly to the listing agent offering them a double commission. They are more likey to look at your offer over others since they are getting paid more.

    I also agree with the other posters. If your agent is fighting you along the way, its time for a new agent.

  • Member since 2008 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    17y

    Get someone who is newer and hungrier (RE agent)..period and is not opposed to making several offers. It's a numbers game.

  • Renton, WA · Member since 2009 · 127 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    Thanks guys!

    Any realtor references in WA?

  • Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2008 · 97 posts · 38 votes
    17y

    I always loved that "insult" comeback.

    Tell your Realtor "That's not an insult that's just a number, if I call you fat and ugly, that's an insult !!! Now please put the offer in or I will find another agent"

    and yes I do know someone who used that........ :D

  • Renton, WA · Member since 2009 · 127 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    I don't think I wanna persist with this guy, considering he fought me on this multiple times...

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Nashville, TN · Member since 2008 · 151 posts · 46 votes
    17y

    In many states, especially if you have paper with them before making offers, the agent is required to submit your offer, no matter how "stupid" it makes you look. The only reason they would not do so if there was a pre-existing condition from the seller that says not to accept offers lower than a certain amount. If that condition doesn't exist your agent could be breaking several agency rules and could be fined for his/her conduct.

    Outside of that, I'm sure there are hundreds of hungrier agents in your area that would be happy to get your business.

  • Renton, WA · Member since 2009 · 127 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    I think this guy is right up my alley:

    I agree with you that “email offers†if they are not on the standard forms are worth very little. I would not consider anything else than a written offer to be a serious offer. All listing agents will tell you just to put it in writing and then it can be accepted or negotiations can start.

    If you are making low ball offers you need the benefit of an actual written offer in front of the seller’s eyes to make them consider it, and to have them react. It also makes it mandatory for the listing agent to present it regardless of what he thinks about it.

    :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · yucaipa, CA · Member since 2008 · 233 posts · 109 votes
    17y

    First of all that agent is required to submit your offer to the seller period! With that said; As a Exclusive Buyer Agent/Investor I can attest to the fact that short sales are a pain in the butt! I know which lenders I can work with and which ones I can't-meaning if the offer needs financing (You the buyer) then you need to be close to appraised value, especially with the big lender, BofA/Countrywide, Wells Fargo etc, otherwise your offer is dead upon arrival. A Cash deal, on the other hand, will go to the top of the pile. Unless my client/Investor insists on that Short Sale Property, I'll pass-thank you very much. Too much hassle, Too much work, not to mention, I can negotiate a better price and/or great terms with a FSBO property.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Matt, if you want a cash buyer/flipper for Short Sales in CA, I'm all game my friend. I'll even deal with the banks ;)

    Ivan, please let us know how this unfolds. I'm interested mainly because it is for your primary residence and would love to hear you found a great agent and a great house for your family.

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 28 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jon Frame:
    I always loved that "insult" comeback.

    Tell your Realtor "That's not an insult that's just a number, if I call you fat and ugly, that's an insult !!! Now please put the offer in or I will find another agent"

    and yes I do know someone who used that........ :D

    These are just great responses from the group. :mrgreen:

    Here is one from me:

    Ever hear the saying, ( you can lead a horse to water but you can"t make him drink ) ???

    Then what do you do? ( find a thirsty horse ). :lol:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.