LOOKING TO CLOSE.. IS THIS A DEAL?? THANK YOU!

LOOKING TO CLOSE.. IS THIS A DEAL?? THANK YOU!

Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 0 votes

Looking at A Single family that is broken into 2 units. Tentant upstairs and downstairs....$650 a piece.

Last Appraisal was $68,700 , Very good neighborhood - A lot of renters, close to capital and downtown. FMV of houses in same neighborhood is around $90,000//

Motivated Seller - Mom is going into a nursing home, needs to liquate assets. They are looking for Cash.. Can close $34,000 through a hard money loan.. I want to keep the 2 tenants in place - if they are good tenants.. Then I want to refinance 6-12 months later for 75% of the Appraised value.. Pay the hard money loan back, Make my little profit that's left over and have a rental under my portfolio.. Does this sound accurate? What would you guys advise or do different?

Thank you! First time investor. I can attach photos and images..

HML Told Me - 12% Interest Rate and 4 points...

They would fund 80% of the deal (27,200) and i would have to put down 20% (6,800) plus the 4 points at closing, as well as $995 for underwriting..

This property is bringing in 1300 a month.. I plan to cash out refinance after 6 - 12 months.. The last appraisal value of this home was $68,200, basing it off this number 75% LTV refinance would be $51,150.. I pay the HML back his 27,200 then i keep the remainder is that correct? Is this a good deal? 

0Reply
18 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 624 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    Have you taken into account property management fees, taxes, insurance, maintenance, capex?
    Have you inputted your numbers into the BP Rental Property Calculator?
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/buy-and-hold-calcula...

  • Professional · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Your noi would be close to 9k. After debt service 4.5k. My question to you is if anything breaks or a tenant leave can you survive with 4.5k before the refi. It's close but Murphy's law can show up anytime...  Either way cap rate is decent. Just make it through the first year for the re fi.

  • Professional · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    It could be a deal depending on your situation.  For me I would take it but I already have 80 doors I can leverage from if anything goes wrong.  I dont know your situation so it could be risky on your part.  I'm in a similar situation myself.  I just put a 23 unit portfolio on contract and Murphy is just waiting for me when I least expect it. 

  • Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Dan Looking like it may be some deferred maintenance with property i.e. roof looks a little old - may need to be replaced soon. Going to walk through Monday will send over pictures. Location is gold though.

  • Professional · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed roof will likely cost 8-10k to replace. paint and carpet = 5k . keep me posted.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    9y

    Why are you using HML vs. just starting of with an investment loan?

    The rent/price ratio does look good.  One thing about a high ratio of rentals is it does tend to limit appreciation potential.

  • Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Jesse T. investment loan? i was unaware of this.. can you explain a little more? Figured A HML was quicker and easier to get done. Can i cash out refinance of a investment loan?

    @Alexander Dan Thank you! Will keep you posted. Seller is also delinquent on 2015 taxes, as well as behind thousands on water && sewer bills... boy oh boy.. 

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by :

    investment loan? i was unaware of this.. can you explain a little more? Figured A HML was quicker and easier to get done. Can i cash out refinance of a investment loan?

    @Alexander Dan

    Just a non-owner occupied mortgage.  Typical the rate is higher than owner occupied and the down payment requirement is usually 25% vs. 20%. 

    One option might be to make an offer of 2 or 3K more for a financed offer vs. HML.

    I am not very familiar with HML, but the underwriting fee seems steep for the loan size. It is essentially another 3.6% in points. You could easily end up paying 20% in interest for year of using the HML. It could be close to 30% annualized if you refinance in less than 6 months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.