Indianapolis (Downtown Rental Inventory Supply Growing Strongly)

Indianapolis (Downtown Rental Inventory Supply Growing Strongly)

Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes

An interesting article on Indianapolis real estate, specifically downtown (see link below).  Interesting data points include.

  • Downtown occupancy is 94.7 percent. Most apartment complexes are close to full occupancy.
  • Downtown rental inventory expected to grow by more than 10 percent in each of the next two years.
  • Downtown rent prices last year grew by 8.2 percent to a record $1.34 per square foot. A typical one-bedroom apartment costs $963 and a two-bedroom, two-bathroom costs $1,480.

Indianapolis Might Have Hit Peak Rent Growth (Indy Star)

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 643 votes
9y

Interesting article and numbers @Matthew Schroeder ! Do you invest downtown? Or in Indy?

I saw that you got your MBA from UC Berkeley! I work there right now. Go Bears!

-Tyler

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 643 votes
    9y

    Interesting article and numbers @Matthew Schroeder ! Do you invest downtown? Or in Indy?

    I saw that you got your MBA from UC Berkeley! I work there right now. Go Bears!

    -Tyler

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 82 votes
    9y

    @Matthew Schroeder I was listening, on the radio, to a local government official who noted that Indianapolis had approximately 10K folks move into  downtown area - mainly millennials and empty nesters.   *** past performance is not an indication of future growth.  ***

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 394 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Matthew Schroeder, you always share awesome stuff lol

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Indianapolis consistently has strong population and job growth. Much stronger than some of the other popular investment markets. I track these numbers every quarter and will be putting out a summary of Q4 in the next week. I'm happy to share them when they're done.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 362 posts · 93 votes
    9y

    Interesting to know. Even with rental rates raising as "low" as they did (according to the article), that increase still beats inflation so you'd still be ahead of the general public. Thanks for sharing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.