Should a newbie become a Realtor first before becoming Investor?

Should a newbie become a Realtor first before becoming Investor?

Porto , Porto · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes

Hey guys!
I'm a new guy here, and I do have some contact with Real Estate as I was managing several Airbnb rental units, and dealt with many landlords in the process. 

I'm reading the best books I find about RE (you can recommend some too), and listening to Podcasts.

But I wander if I become a Realtor myself, I'll be able to learn so much more pratical knowledge, than I get from books. Moreover, all books are focused on the United States market, and some stuff does not apply in Portugal.


I have some rental sublettings that give me a passive income that is enough to survive right now. That's important because starting realtors don't get a salary in companies like Remax and Era. But they accept pretty much anyone who's interested in being a realtor, and has decent looks and selling skills.

Just wander if it would be worth my time. 

Kind regards,
Bruno

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Bruno Ferreira

Being a Realtor doesn't teach you anything about investing. Just like working on computers doesn't teach me anything about buying IT stocks. Most agent training is less than 1% investor focused. What you do get out of it is direct access to the MLS and a job that lets you see more properties, analyze more deals, and hopefully build a better network.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Bruno Ferreira

    Being a Realtor doesn't teach you anything about investing. Just like working on computers doesn't teach me anything about buying IT stocks. Most agent training is less than 1% investor focused. What you do get out of it is direct access to the MLS and a job that lets you see more properties, analyze more deals, and hopefully build a better network.

  • Porto , Porto · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bryan O.:

    @Bruno Ferreira

    Being a Realtor doesn't teach you anything about investing. Just like working on computers doesn't teach me anything about buying IT stocks. Most agent training is less than 1% investor focused. What you do get out of it is direct access to the MLS and a job that lets you see more properties, analyze more deals, and hopefully build a better network.

     Thanks for your reply Bryan. 
    If you were in my shoes, would you do it or not?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    I'd say no,,, I've had my lic. For about 10 years,  I find little benefit to my RE investment side.   One part however you cannot deny is you save one side of RE commissions.  

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Bruno Ferreira What do you want to do with your investing career? Many people want to be self-employed and do wholesaling or flipping, some people want to be very active with rehabbing and holding, some want to be as passive as they can with rent-ready or already filled and renovated properties. I can't help you with that since I don't have the information.

    For pretty much everything that exists, a good formula is figure out what the end goal is and work backwards on how to get there, then take action.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.