Accessory Dwelling Unit Houshack in Austin Tx

Accessory Dwelling Unit Houshack in Austin Tx

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 443 posts · 174 votes

It appears the only way to make a househack work in Austin is to build an Accessory Dwelling Unit in the backyard. Prices are very high for anything with 4 miles of downtown. 

I'm thinking buy a rundown house in east Austin rehab it and add an ADU to the back. This should create enough rent to cover the mortgage and still be a viable investment once I move out. Maybe section the ADU off and sell it under condo regime.

Has anyone else out there done this?

Any experience with ADUs and the city of Austin?

1Reply
160 views

Most Popular Reply

David IvyPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 699 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Caitlin Bigelow:

Can someone please explain to me how the condo regime in Austin works? is this a lottery system, or quota based? How do you qualify? I'm interested from the standpoint of an SFH + ADU.

You could reach out to @Patton VanVeckhoven or @William Smith for details. Both are attorneys in Austin specializing in condo conversions. It's not a lottery or quota system. As I understand it, a small condo conversion (e.g., SFH + ADU or attached duplex) is done in Austin via executing the right legal documents and has nothing necessarily to do permitting or the development code. It's just a change in ownership structure and, as far as I'm aware, doesn't require approval from any outside party or stakeholder. That said, the details can still be complicated. So, again, I recommend talking with an attorney in Austin who does many of these conversions about your particular situation or plans.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Can someone please explain to me how the condo regime in Austin works? is this a lottery system, or quota based? How do you qualify? I'm interested from the standpoint of an SFH + ADU.

  • David IvyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 699 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Caitlin Bigelow:

    Can someone please explain to me how the condo regime in Austin works? is this a lottery system, or quota based? How do you qualify? I'm interested from the standpoint of an SFH + ADU.

    You could reach out to @Patton VanVeckhoven or @William Smith for details. Both are attorneys in Austin specializing in condo conversions. It's not a lottery or quota system. As I understand it, a small condo conversion (e.g., SFH + ADU or attached duplex) is done in Austin via executing the right legal documents and has nothing necessarily to do permitting or the development code. It's just a change in ownership structure and, as far as I'm aware, doesn't require approval from any outside party or stakeholder. That said, the details can still be complicated. So, again, I recommend talking with an attorney in Austin who does many of these conversions about your particular situation or plans.

  • Specialist · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    @David Ivy Thanks for the info! Reaching out now :) 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    Hi all, interested in house-hack in Austin as well, so just hopping on this thread!

    cheers,

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.