creative financing for a deal with a seller in a unique situation

creative financing for a deal with a seller in a unique situation

Bruce ClarkPro Member
Investor · Mount Pleasant, OH · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 11 votes

I'm looking at a duplex. Asking price is 62k. This is unrealistic. Property is empty. Sellers used to live in the property - they used both sides. Property has been on the market for 97 days. Sellers now live in Florida to be near grandchildren. Realtor told me that when they first put it on the market, the electric was turned off and the pipes froze, which caused major leaks on one side. They immediately had a restoration company take care of the issue, but then their insurance company denied the claim because the electric was not on. So they now they are on the hook for the restoration companies bill and it hasn't been paid yet (I will of course check for mechanic's liens when the time comes). They also took a loan from a relative to attempt to make other repairs, so now they have an empty property in a different state. They have a mortgage, owe money to a restoration company, and owe money to a family member. Realtor "says" their break even point is $59,000 but seemed to indicate that they would consider any offer.

I haven't walked the property with my contractor yet, but my rough estimate is that it needs about $30k in repairs and upgrades. 

Once the property is rehabbed it will command approximately 1,300 total rent. 

I have ran the numbers (taxes, insurance, cap ex etc.) and I can make it work by simply offering $40,000 and seeing what they say. Given their situation, I am not sure if they will accept or not.

I am wondering if anyone has any creative financing ideas that may work in a situation like this. 

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    You haven't said what the ARV is. If you offer 40k on a property, have to do 30k in repairs, then you're in for 70k. Does the ROI work at 70k renting 1300? And can the seller give you this property for 40k with clean title?

    If you want to do something creative, you need more info.  What is their mortgage payoff?  Whats the P/I payment?

    Is the "loan" to the family member a recorded lien on the property (ie: is it your problem or is it their problem?

    Whats the amount of the restoration lien?

    You could take it Sub2 the existing loan + liens, and you'd be in it for your rehab cost (30k) making the previous mortgage P/I from the seller's loan against your 1300 rent. Problem is you sunk 30k cash into this thing, own much more than it's worth, and therefore have no exit strategy. Maybe try to negotiate w/ the restoration company.

    Except the Realtor won't understand a Sub2. They will probably tell the seller its illegal or a huge risk (despite being explicitly prohibited from giving legal advice), and won't let you present the deal yourself, and will be dogde-y as you ask the necessary questions above.

    I would just submit your max offer contingent on the seller delivering clean and marketable title and move on to the next one.

  • Bruce ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Mount Pleasant, OH · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Update. Yesterday, at around 7:30 the realtor called me and said there was a cash offer of 45K. I told him to tell the sellers to take it. 

    Looks like I was not far off with my $40k number.

    The ARV is probably around $100k so, I should be fine with $70k total into the deal.

    The Sub2 idea would definitely be an option. I don't know what the restoration lien is though. Probably doesn't matter at this point anyway. I think I will just just keep an eye on the property and see if it closes. If not, submit my offer of 40k and see what happens. Regardless, I'm on to the next one.

    @Christopher Morin Thanks for the input and advice.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Bruce Clark..Way to Go! Keep it Moving... For every 10 offers, you will probably get one unless you're over bidding. My best deals come from undesirable properties. After the 1st year of rehabbing SFR, I gained confidence...GL!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.