20 years old and just bought my first duplex!!!

20 years old and just bought my first duplex!!!

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... So after 8 months of researching real estate and 2 1/2 months of physically going to look at properties I finally closed on my first duplex last week. Thank you Biggerpockets and all of you who've answered my many questions during the duration of 8 months. Im also putting things into action now to start wholesaling some deals to buy another property before the end of the year! With that being said any newbies on here. Don't get discouraged. Take the information you learn from your many resources and put them into play and you'll be just fine.
22Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 20 votes
9y

@Andres Perez Congratulations on the first investment property! I too am 20 years old and I am almost done with my first flip and I just put an offer in on my second! Keep up the hard work and you'll get to that second property in no time!

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Albany, NY · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Andres Perez congrats! As a new member, very nice to hear! Did you invest in PA?
  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Great to hear there's another young RE investor out there! Keep it up! Possibilities are endless!

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Congrats on the acquisition, are you renting out both units or house hacking?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez congrats! Can you tell us about the property you purchased? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Alexander Schwartz I'm house hacking.
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Michael Henry It's a duplex located in the Delaware County area. Right outside of West Philadelphia. It's 2 units both 1bd/1bth. The tenant upstairs will sign a new lease this sunday. I'll keep his rent at 750 for the first year to get him to stay(Pretty good tenant). My plans are to stay in the downstairs unit until I save enough capitol to buy another multi family property using the BRRRR process. I'll soon be creating my LLC and starting my mailing campaign.
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Rich Becker Yes, in Delaware County right outside of West Philadelphia.
  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 152 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez

    Way to go Andres!

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congrats Andres your well on the way to a very sucessful future, there are no limits to what anyone can achieve.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    Congrats Andres Perez i'm young also looking to get something going through real estate in process to get a deal this year I'm going to be 20 this year also!
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez my first property was a duplex and it was a great way to start. Congratulations and good luck!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andres Perez:

    Michael Henry It's a duplex located in the Delaware County area. Right outside of West Philadelphia. It's 2 units both 1bd/1bth. The tenant upstairs will sign a new lease this sunday. I'll keep his rent at 750 for the first year to get him to stay(Pretty good tenant). My plans are to stay in the downstairs unit until I save enough capitol to buy another multi family property using the BRRRR process. I'll soon be creating my LLC and starting my mailing campaign.

     That is great news keep up the good work! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Lemont Williams Keep pushing through. You find something soon on later!
  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez Nicely done!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Congratulations!  The first purchase is always the toughest but you'll find that it becomes addictive.

  • Real Estate Professional · Fort Leonard Wood, MO · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Congrats man! I'm also a new young investor looking to start my career in real estate. You just motivated me to keep pushing thru. Keep it up!
  • El Cerrito, CA · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 129 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez How did you raise the capital for a down payment etc being so young? Got any $ numbers on it?

  • Real Estate Investor · Spring Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 288 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    good job man, starting early. many productive years ahead of you

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congrats! It's always encouraging to hear another story like this, especially for the newbies out there like me. Hope everything keeps going your way!

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    How did you qualify given you're old enough to be a college student? Co-signer? Work a W2 job? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez Congratulations on the first investment property! I too am 20 years old and I am almost done with my first flip and I just put an offer in on my second! Keep up the hard work and you'll get to that second property in no time!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Andres Perez Congrats buddy, how did the painting go?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Ryan Cameron Glad you asked. For now on I will hire someone to paint. It took so much of my time where I could have been more productive with other things. And once again thanks for all the advice and guidance.
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Jim Kent Peter T. Doug Woodville I qualified for a FHA mortgage with only 3.5 percent down. I've been saving constantly since June and started looking once I had the down payment and reserves. The mortgage broker wanted to see a statement of 8k before I could close. I only had to bring 5600 to closing even with only 3% sellers assist instead of 6%. Hope this helped!!
  • Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Wow! Congratulations! Good luck with the new property and the others that will come!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.