Hard Money Lenders-Are they for real?

Hard Money Lenders-Are they for real?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 121 votes

I get at least one call a day from the new "hard money lenders"  These are semi institutional lenders pretending to be hard money lenders.  

When I ask for their requirements, it always sounds like I am talking to Bank of America or Wells Fargo and I am trying to pull a Fannie Mae loan.  

I just got a package from one of those "so called big ones" the newbies in the market of hard money lending. Their requests almost included my first born child. 

Since when did hard money lending become giving up an arm and a leg. What happened to the word asset backed lending? Is it just me or is anyone having the same issues? 

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE A BUY DECISION ON A HOUSE?

As a property investor, when I go to meet a seller, I have to make a decision on value and give the seller an offer immediately. If not, the next guy probably will. When I call hard money lenders, they tell me it will take them 10 days or two weeks to make the same decision. 

Has anyone found out lately that even when you present a 50-60% purchase price of ARV to one of these lenders, they still ask you if you have skin in the game?

Then they make you fill out all these elaborate information online, only to tell you later their loan committee did not approve the loan. 

I am glad, I have my private lenders. One phone call and email of the property with comps, my docs are on their way to escrow.

Is anyone still using these pretend "hard money lenders" or should you be looking for private lenders who can make commonsense property value decisions?

If you are new to property investing, you will probably be better off to find a private lender, who has some money to invest. 

START A RELATIONSHIP 

Let the private lender test you out with a small loan. Then gradually increase it.

That was how I started years back. My private lender, first loaned me $30,000. After seeing my performances over time, he gradually increased it.

What I like best about our relationship is the speed of performance. Unlike so called hard money lenders, I don't have to wait for ten days for a decision. I usually get one in hours.

That is the speed at which profits are made in this business. The last deal I made, a few months ago, my competitor told the seller he will need a few days to decide on the purchase price.  When I got to the house, I made a decision immediately.  The seller even thanked me. They flew into town to sell their property. It was a probate deal. They needed a decision so they can fly back home on Sunday. 

Imagine, If I had to wait for the "hard money lender"? 

I called my private lender and he saw the value. I opened escrow the next day and in five days we were done.  100% financing including all the rehab, no hold backs. 

SIMPLE DECISION-MADE HARD

To me the decision was a no brainier. After repair value for the house, (ARV) was $325K in a very nice part of town. My offer was $205k net to seller. Fix up cost was about $15K My private lender came through with $225K loan.

I did give some of the hard money lenders a chance, but their term sheets were terrible. Plus, they wanted to do an appraisal and it would have taken 10-15 days for an answer. 

I got terms like, "70% of purchase price, plus 90% of rehab, and we'll have to hold the money until you do the repairs."

Based on their term sheets, they will be advancing about $143,500 and holding back the $13,500 repair costs.

I would have had to come up with about $80,000 just to take the deal down.  This is one of the reasons most newbies are having problems getting traction in this business.

So the question is "hard money lender or a private lender? Which is a better choice?

1Reply
30 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Hot Springs Village, AR · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 92 votes
    9y

    @Toyin Dawodu As a private money lender I agree with your analysis. The only argument I have with your dissertation is that I do want some info about you personally until I get to know you and we have done a deal together. I have met a number of people interested in me lending based strictly on the investment. Maybe that is why I am a private lender instead of a HML but initially I do want personal information. Some potential borrowers cannot understand that.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 121 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, You should get some information and get to know your borrower. As a lender, you are both in it together. It is in the best interest of the borrower to protect the lender because that is the well that produces water. I will lose money first before I let my lender lose a penny. The problem I have is the new age lenders who pretend to be HML , yet ignores the fact that hard money lending is based strictly on the equity in the property. Your security is the property first. The new age lenders mislead newbies by by pretending to be HML. They operate more like traditional banks based on my experience.

  • Yuma, AZ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 137 votes
    9y

    Cash is King..

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Toyin Dawodu You post hit home, not so much from a borrower perspective but from a lender perspective. In the last year or so I have heard more stories from borrowers describing what you have mentioned on your post. 

    I believe this is in part to the tie in that these lenders have with conventional institutions along with the rollover transitional loans they are marketing. I have seen heavy marketing by these hard money lenders go in the way of providing funds for purchase and rehab of properties with a semi-automatic roll over to a long term 20 year amortized loan which are being underwritten by "conventional means". 

    Good, bad, or indifferent? Well that depends on needs of each specific individual or services that are provided by HML's or private lenders. All in all, I believe Toyin has provided some insight that I too have seen in the market place. As for me, I will continue to serve the needs of my investors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.