Dayton Tax-Deliquent Property Acquisition

Dayton Tax-Deliquent Property Acquisition

New to Real Estate · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 10 votes

Hello all,

I've been considering getting into real estate for a while and as I'm still very young I don't have the cash I need to jump right in yet. But, I was wondering if anyone in the Dayton / Montgomery County area has any experience with gogetproperties.com or lotlinker.com. 

The basics of how these work from what I can understand is that the government allows tax-deliquent properties to be acquired for very cheap, but there are a few requirements and the process takes a while.

My main question for anyone with familiarity is how to ensure that the property is unoccupied before applying? This is one of the stipulations. Wouldn't the property typically have been taken by the bank at this point or wouldn't the city have forced the homeowners out because they didn't pay their taxes? If this isn't the case, then wouldn't most properties be occupied? Thanks ahead of time for the insight.

- Christian

0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul AmegatcherPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
    9y

    You can verify occupancy by doing a drive by.  Also if you are serious about learning more contact tomorrow at the phone number in my signature and I can discuss the process with you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
    9y

    pretty much your own due diligence is needed. Often times you will need to evict the occupant once you obtain ownership of the property. I'm not aware of any county in ohio that evicts prior to sale.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    If you are looking at Dayton Lotlinker.com it will tell you the requirements.  And it is occupied by squatters you need to get them out.  Like Paul and Brandon said drive by and do your due diligence

  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    9y

    @Christian Tallet. Driving by is a good start. I check the electric meter to see if service is on. 

    These are the properties that the bank didn't take, or there wasn't a mortgage. Most of these properties need significant repair, and are mostly not livable in their current condition. 

    The city does not force you to move out of a home for not paying taxes, at least no while you are the owner.

    @Brandon Schlichter This is an abandoned property program. The property MUST be unoccupied to be eligible for the program.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.