I need to make a decision about my mother's home, help!

I need to make a decision about my mother's home, help!

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some help making a decision. My grandmother has a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2200 square foot home in the middle of nowhere, California. Town is called Llano for the curious, population 1200. The area is the High Desert and the town lacks even a gas station. It is the type of place you move to to disappear. Best I can tell, the market value if it were in good condition is $250,000, but the house needs a good amount of work, ~20,000 worth. Her mortgage is underwater at $270,000 ($110,000 as a deferred principal). She had an in-house modification done on the property resulting in a low payment of $800 which is ending soon--the interest rate was kept at 2% until May 2017. There is about 37 years left on the loan.

Due to her age (87), I had to move her out closer to services. The home was ~30 miles from a hospital, isolated on 3 acres. Now I have to decide what to do with the property. My initial thought was to do a short sale and get out of it. The bank didn't set a fair price on the short sale and the real estate agent suggested we go a deed in lieu of foreclosure instead. My mother's credit is shot as it is due to consumer debt, so I figured why not. I thought it was especially good since she would qualify with state and federal programs that would give her some money in relocation fees. Between 8 and $10,000.

Now I am thinking we may not want to do it. I am worried I am giving up on a decent property. In the area, similar homes rent for around $1500 a month. I imagine once the modification runs out, the mortgage will increase to about $1200, but we should also try to pay down the deferred principal as well. I live far away from this property (7 hour drive) so I would have to hire a property management company. 

What are everyone's thoughts? I still think the DIL of foreclosure is the best option as it gets her some money. Moreover, if I inherited this place tomorrow that's what I would do since managing it would be so difficult. But, let me know if you people have other thoughts!

Thanks!

- John

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tucker, GA · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 144 votes
    9y
    If you have no equity in the property I would not worry about it. I would first of all start by getting a Concrete Number of what the house is worth right now in the current condition. Also what is it worth if you fix it? How much would it cost you to purchase a similar home right now? For example If you had some credit issues and did not qualify for a mortgage but you are savy enough to get it into rentable Condition it could pay off in the long run. Another suggestion would be to document the state of the property. Take pictures of everything showing any disrepair and send them to the lender. I would speak to some Sort of manger or foreclosure/ short sale department there at the bank. This will Help them to understand your situation and they are probably more like to help you with any short sale price if this is the way you want to go. Good luck.
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    9y

    What does the property rent out for? Is the mortgage current or delinquent? What does the modification interest rate adjust to?

    If the home is underwater, has deferred maintenance, and doesn't cash flow, you may be dealing with a lemon. What did the bank think it's worth and what about the agent?

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    if this loan is government backed, the bank doesn't care if it goes into foreclosure. My mind isn't working well enough today to see where there is any profit to be made here.

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Maricela Chavez

    Good points! I'm working with a real estate agent who thinks it is worth ~$200,000 as is. That said, the market in the location moves very slow. I looked at Trulia and most properties in the area stay on the market for 150+ days.

    As for purchasing a similar home right now? Probably about $250k for similar home in same area. 

    As for getting into a rentable condition in order to make it a long term investment, that is a very good idea! I don't know if it applies to me. First, I don't have the spare cash. Second, I have  excellent credit and a decent paying job, so I don't know if I'm in the situation where it would make sense.

    Those are very good tips on contacting the bank! Thank you!

    @Brett -- Rents in the area are about ~1500. Currently, the morgage is ~800, but is set to go up per the terms of the modification. The bank wanted to set a short sale value of $220,000. Our agent didn't think we could get that. She thought $200,000 was the more realistic price.

    @Tim -- That's my sense as well. Frankly, the reason I am bothering w/ a DIL at all is to participate in the government's relocation programs. HAFA and then California's own relocation program. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.