Investing in Baton Rouge area

Investing in Baton Rouge area

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 23 votes
I am originally from Louisiana. I live in Los Angeles now and have a successful real estate business here. Investing in Los Angeles so expensive, requiring massive down payments and very little returns. My thought was to put my Los Angeles money to work someplace else. I figured I have family in the Baton Rouge area which draws me back there periodically and in a pinch I could have family check in on the property for me, outside of utilizing a property management company. Wanted to know if anyone had any opinions/expertise on whether or not investing in the Baton Rouge area was a good play or not. Thanks in advance!
1Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 219 votes
9y

@Richard Wilkinson

I invest here and our rental market is strong.  I think you will do well to consider it.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    How much is left if you account plane tickets and time plus LA appreciation? I mean, what will be the difference in cash flow? BR income - plane tickets - time - Los Angeles appreciation - Los Angeles income = ?
  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Richard Wilkinson I'm a huge fan of out of state investing. That said, what comes to mind for me was last years LSU vs. Florida college football debacle. What I heard time and time again was that the Baton Rouge local economy couldn't handle giving up a home game to go play a (rescheduled) game at Florida. Florida ended coming to Baton Rouge, the game was played, Florida moaned, blah, blah, blah. Now I love me some SEC college football but if a city's economy can be measurably hurt by missing a *single* home SEC football game I'm not wild about the prospect of investing there. I don't mean to minimize the economic benefit of big time college football but it made the Baton Rouge ecosystem and economy seem exceptionally fragile. But what do I know... #GeauxTigers
  • Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 219 votes
    9y

    @Richard Wilkinson

    I invest here and our rental market is strong.  I think you will do well to consider it.

  • Richard WilkinsonPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Thank you, Brandon!  Is there particular area or type of property that you feel is a better focus.  Both my sisters are LSU Alumni and own some apartments near campus. My concern with that is careless college kids consistently destroying the property, causing large $ expenditures for upkeep. 

  • Investor · Lafayette/Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 915 votes
    9y
    What areas to invest, really depends on what your investment objective is? I can say there's a very broad range of strategies that can work for you here. I wouldn't let the dramatization of "adverse economic impact" between ferociously competitive SEC schools lead my investment decision making. The low inventory, strong post-Great Flood recovery/rebuilding and continued job & population growth are driving strong home sales and a strong market. I'm not looking to encourage any added competition, but I know this market and I am investing here.
  • Investor · Prairieville, LA · Member since 2015 · 311 posts · 424 votes
    9y

    Baton Rouge is a great place to invest in rentals. A lot of flippers and wholesalers are doing great as well. We may not appreciate 30% a year in values, but I can tell you that my properties  (and rents) have appreciated quite nicely. The economy is constantly adding jobs and developers are always building subdivisions. I would recommend reading the online magazine, Baton Rouge Business Report to get a pulse on the local enonomy.

    And that was pure media hype over potentially losing a home game for LSU. These guys will fight to keep revenue so stories like this is pure hyperbole.

  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Richard Wilkinson:

    I am originally from Louisiana. I live in Los Angeles now and have a successful real estate business here. Investing in Los Angeles so expensive, requiring massive down payments and very little returns. My thought was to put my Los Angeles money to work someplace else. I figured I have family in the Baton Rouge area which draws me back there periodically and in a pinch I could have family check in on the property for me, outside of utilizing a property management company. Wanted to know if anyone had any opinions/expertise on whether or not investing in the Baton Rouge area was a good play or not.

    Thanks in advance!

    This is rare.. an LA investor looking to invest out of LA because its too pricey? :) Really?

    Regarding Baton Rouge, it depends on what your goals are... rental cash flow vs long term appreciation vs fix/flip

  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Johnson:

    Richard Wilkinson I'm a huge fan of out of state investing. That said, what comes to mind for me was last years LSU vs. Florida college football debacle. What I heard time and time again was that the Baton Rouge local economy couldn't handle giving up a home game to go play a (rescheduled) game at Florida. Florida ended coming to Baton Rouge, the game was played, Florida moaned, blah, blah, blah. Now I love me some SEC college football but if a city's economy can be measurably hurt by missing a *single* home SEC football game I'm not wild about the prospect of investing there. I don't mean to minimize the economic benefit of big time college football but it made the Baton Rouge ecosystem and economy seem exceptionally fragile. But what do I know...

    #GeauxTigers

     Or perhaps the Tigers were just trying to get a home game?

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I never want to underestimate gamesmanship in the SEC but...

    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/canc...

    https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge...

    Maybe everyone in Baton Rogue did all get together and unite to say "Let's toute our city as an economic toilet to get this moved to a home game this year!"  If they did, consider me corrected, but that property says something else about the city.

    On the plus side, they just opened a sweet lazy river late last week!

    https://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/14/8608269/lsu-fac...

    #GeauxTigers

  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Johnson:

    @Account Closed I never want to underestimate gamesmanship in the SEC but...

    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/canc...

    https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge...

    Maybe everyone in Baton Rogue did all get together and unite to say "Let's toute our city as an economic toilet to get this moved to a home game this year!"  If they did, consider me corrected, but that property says something else about the city.

    On the plus side, they just opened a sweet lazy river late last week!

    https://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/14/8608269/lsu-fac...

    #GeauxTigers

    Surprised they actually didnt say it was going to affect the global supply and price of Sugar.

    http://tiny.cc/breconomy

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Mike Fletcher Side note, I have nothing against Baton Rogue but demographically it looks it barely grew (from a population perspective) between 2000 and 2010. And since 2010 the population has slightly declined. I don't need maniacal population growth to invest but I'd at least like it trending upward. That said, maybe it is an awesome place to invest. I love college towns where university enrollment is growing. If you can get walking-distance from the campus...👍🏻
  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Johnson:

    Mike Fletcher Side note, I have nothing against Baton Rogue but demographically it looks it barely grew (from a population perspective) between 2000 and 2010. And since 2010 the population has slightly declined. I don't need maniacal population growth to invest but I'd at least like it trending upward. That said, maybe it is an awesome place to invest. I love college towns where university enrollment is growing. If you can get walking-distance from the campus...👍🏻

     The population growth is only one of many factors affecting RE prices... there is a lot more going on in BR than RE... I however haven't looked into the RE market there but if population vastly exceeds inventory (not saying it is there), any decline in population wouldn't necessarily have an effect on prices.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.