Would this be a good Buy for a Newbie

Would this be a good Buy for a Newbie

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes

My Strategy is Buy and Hold a Duplex in which I plan to live in one and rent the other (if I can afford it); and my niche is an area within 50 miles from O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, IL. It took me months before I found a property which satisfy my criteria. The property is at Tinley Park, IL. It has 3 beds and 2 baths on the second floor, 5 beds and 2 baths on the first floor which is duplex to the basement. Total square footage is 2,770, sitting on a 5,095 sq ft lot. It was built in 1979. It has an 8 year old roof. Current owner pays $167/ month for insurance, $100/month for water and $55 per month for scavenger. Rent total is $2,850. The list price is 250K and I offered 210K which the owner accepted. This is a short sale and according to my agent it will take for the bank to decide 3-6 months if they gave it to me or not. I'm going to send the escrow money today but I have a lot of doubts;

1. My rental property calculation shows that at $210,000 purchase and 15% down, the Monthly cash flow is -$94.73 and Cash on Cash ROI is -2.64%. On the other hand, at 20% down, the Monthly cash flow is $76.64 and Cash on Cash ROI is 1.72%.

2. The seller seems to agree with my offer so quickly.

3. Although the Duplex is just 37 minutes away from work, it would take me one hour and 15 minutes to travel per google maps.

4. I started investing without a team; real estate agent, inspector and attorney. So I have to look for an attorney and inspector today since we signed the offer agreement last July 15, 2017 and because my coworker told me not to hire the ones my agent recommended.

So, should I buy this property or not? Your advise is highly appreciated.

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
9y

Hi there @Cenddie Alaban I'm pretty sure I know the area of Tinley you are looking in. Here are a few points to consider-

It sounds like the current owner has it as an investment and doesn't live there right? If you plan on living there you will get a homeowners exemption on your property tax which will help your cashflow numbers. Especially with how high taxes are in Tinley.

So you trust your co-worker more than your agent when it comes to choosing people on your team? Can I ask why? 

Part of a good agents job is to make sure the transaction goes smoothly, and to take some of that burden off of you. Your agent should have multiple good recommendations that they have worked with in the past. It's much easier than just googling people and hoping you get a good one imo. 

Did your agent give you rental comps to show what you could get in rent? Did you see purchase comps to come up with your offer, or how did you come up with it?

If the owner is under financial hardship, that would explain why they took your offer so quickly. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alhambra, CA · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 78 votes
    9y

    So, the duplex is a classic buy, but if you don't plan on rehabbing it, or it doesn't need rehab, you are leaving dollars on the table.  Maybe rehab isn't your thing, but many new investors use sweat equity as a way of increasing their reserves.

    Would this home benefit from future renovations and how do you feel about them?

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    The rent to purchase is good however the expenses make this a bad deal. Not really worth it as a investment but as a home that is irrelevant.

    If you can raise the rents or reduce expenses it may be OK but to maintain cash flow you need to leverage this property to the maximum. Do not make the mistake of allowing equity to grow and keep the DP to the bare minimum.

    Mu advice would be to not invest in this property since the effort will not be worth the payoff unless you can drastically increase cash flow.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    9y

    Hi there @Cenddie Alaban I'm pretty sure I know the area of Tinley you are looking in. Here are a few points to consider-

    It sounds like the current owner has it as an investment and doesn't live there right? If you plan on living there you will get a homeowners exemption on your property tax which will help your cashflow numbers. Especially with how high taxes are in Tinley.

    So you trust your co-worker more than your agent when it comes to choosing people on your team? Can I ask why? 

    Part of a good agents job is to make sure the transaction goes smoothly, and to take some of that burden off of you. Your agent should have multiple good recommendations that they have worked with in the past. It's much easier than just googling people and hoping you get a good one imo. 

    Did your agent give you rental comps to show what you could get in rent? Did you see purchase comps to come up with your offer, or how did you come up with it?

    If the owner is under financial hardship, that would explain why they took your offer so quickly. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Paul Hitchings Thank you for your advise. One of my friend who used to be a contractor will go with me on Thursday to look at the property with an inspector. I will be able then to know if it will benefit on a rehab. My first impression when I visited the place is that it does not need rehab only cleaning and changing of carpet on the second floor when the tenant leaves. For future renovations, honestly, I don't have any idea, I will ask my agent, my inspector and my friend latter. How do I feel about renovation? I'm for it, I'm not handy but I fix my own car for years and I love the idea of my kids helping in the renovation.

    @Thomas S. Thank you for your effort in giving me advice. Currently, the rent on the second floor is $1,100 and the second floor of the duplex on the other side of the street is advertised at Trulia for $1,700 (and was rented $1,700 as per Zillow). Yes, I think I can raise the rent and rehab the place when the tenant leaves. Is DP, down payment? I will stay in this duplex if I got it for a long time and I can rent the two bedroom in the basement to stay-in caregivers.

    @Jeff Valentino I'm thinking that you even know the owner.  I never thought how a homeowner exemption can increase cash flow, thank you for that idea. 

    Thank you for removing the doubt I have for my agent. I just felt that this transaction goes too fast compared to my failed offer at Melrose Park. Of course, I should trust my agent more than my coworker, he does not have a house anyway.

    Yes, my agent showed me comparable duplexes around the property: 5 bed 3 bath =$240,000; 5 bed N/A bath =$240,000; 6 bed 4 bath =$210,000; 4 bed 4 bath =$250,000; 6 bed 4 bath =$220,000; 5 bed 2 bath =$249,900 and 5 bed 3 bath =$217,500.

    I'll ask him for comparable rents.

  • Co-Owner · New Berlin, WI · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    @Cenddie Alaban are you set on putting 15% or 20% down? If you are going to house hack, why not go FHA and put the minimum down, 3.5%? Use the cash savings from the lower deposit for repairs and upgrades to help appreciate the value faster as well as justify higher rents? This can increase the cash flow.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cenddie Alaban:

    So, should I buy this property or not? Your advise is highly appreciated.

     If your objective is to purchase the property for cash flow then no you should not buy given your numbers are showing a negative cash flow.   If your objective is to purchase the property & live almost rent free then yes you should purchase.   Just make sure you can afford the payment when one of the units is vacant.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Cenddie Alaban , be careful with comps in Tinley Park. Tinley Park HS is not comparable to Andrew HS. (My sister just sold her property that was in TPHS district and they would not use comps from Andrew district.)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Ham Merritt If my calculations are right, BP Rental Calculator shows a cash flow of -$319.37 and -$20.23 ROI. The numbers are still negative after 10 years. I believe that the value of the Duplex will go up and so will the Taxes.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Crystal 

    @Crystal Smith Thank you for your advise. I think I will have to live there and you know why as I mentioned in my very first post. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Crystal Smith Now, I have to be creative in how to pay for the other unit when it's vacant. Maybe, I'll budget for the Vacancy Rate a little higher than 5%? Or maybe get a tenant with a history of staying in a unit for a long time? Thanks for this advise.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hi @Mindy Jensen,

    Bigger Pockets have help me a lot from learning about real estate investing and boosting my confidence in buying my first duplex. Actually, I'm following the method of Larry Loftis, author of a book Brandon Turner recommended. I can't directly invest in downtown Chicago, so a little change in direction is needed but the same destination.

    Is HS High School? I'm sorry I'm really lost here. I'm investing in a district I know nothing of. Probably because we Home School our kids. 

    I'll listen to PodCast # 129 on Sunday on my way to work.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cenddie Alaban:

    @Crystal Smith Now, I have to be creative in how to pay for the other unit when it's vacant. Maybe, I'll budget for the Vacancy Rate a little higher than 5%? Or maybe get a tenant with a history of staying in a unit for a long time? Thanks for this advise.

     When you say "I have to be creative in how to pay for the other unit when it's vacant"  do you mean that can't afford the mortgage if the other unit isn't occupied?  If that's the case then you should not purchase the property.  

    If that's not the case & you can still pay your mortgage then do some research on the vacancy rates in Tinley park.  Don't automatically assume it will be 5%.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Cenddie Alaban, yes, HS means High School. Andrew is a good school, Tinley Park doesn't have the same reputation.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    @Cenddie Alaban the expenses seem a little high here would check to see if there are some inefficiencies going on

  • Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
    9y

    @Cenddie Alaban I'd strongly recommend you ask your agent to pull some comps. Just based on the negative cash flow, I'd strongly recommend you don't purchase this property. The cash flow at 20 % is very low and you probably need to take into account maintenance, vacancy rate, capxex, and reserves for unforeseen expenses. 

    Seller will agree to any price because it is a short sale. There's no incentive for him if the property gets sold for 210K or 250K as long as the mortgage balance covers the purchase price.

    Not all short sales are approved and you'll have to be very patient. The listing agent and attorney must have some experience with short sales otherwise it probably won't go through. 

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    Another idea that springs to mind is to increase the rental income to make the ROI a bit more favorable. With the first story being so large is it at all possible to split it into two units? What would your returns look like with two smaller apartments in the place of the one larger one? What is the migration census look like in that area? I can tell you from having recently looked in cook county I would say that possible appreciation may be in trouble in that area. A lot more people are moving away from Chicago than to it. There are a lot of factors to consider here and without knowing a lot more overall I can't say that you should or shouldn't do the deal.

    Devil's advocate to the above would tell me to mention that you have run the numbers, you know what does and what doesn't work. The real question here is, do you suddenly doubt everything you have done up until now? You made an offer, did you not expect it to be approved? Do you want to start today or just someday? Do it, learn from it and do more deals.

    Best of luck, let us know how it goes! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hi @Crystal Smith the 6 month emergency fund should take care of this right? Are there vacancies more than 6 months?

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Not familiar with the area so I will not comment on how good or bad of a deal it is. However, you said this was a short sale and the owner accepted your offer. Has the BANK accepted your offer? If not, then all of this may be a moot point, as they can and likely will counter your offer higher. Asking price on a short sale means little, as is an offer accepted by the owner, so long as that list price or offer still remains "subject to bank approval". Also, I agree with Jeff Valentino; no where in your analysis did I see any comparable sales and values derived from that ... this is how you value a duplex, and even if you don't want to value it that way, that is the way the appraiser will value it before you get a loan. Also, that is how it will be valued if you ever wish to refinance or sell in the future.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hi @Mindy Jensen,

    Are you talking about Victor J. Andrew High School in Orland Hills, IL? 

    Can you expound your first Post; "be careful with comps in Tinley Park. Tinley Park HS is not comparable to Andrew HS. (My sister just sold her property that was in TPHS district and they would not use comps from Andrew district.)

    Why do we compare two properties in different district? What's the significance? I'm lost.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cenddie Alaban:

    Hi @Crystal Smith the 6 month emergency fund should take care of this right? Are there vacancies more than 6 months?

     If you have more than a 6 month vacancy that means there's something seriously wrong w/ the property, the rental rate, the neighborhood,......  Something would have to be seriously wrong.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Cenddie Alaban , I'm sharing that you do NOT use comps from two different districts. Andrew is a much better district. When my sister was trying to sell, she's on the wrong side of the street, so similar properties literally across the street from her couldn't be used because they were from a different district. (Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Alex Bok I keep in mind what you advise me to do and I was able to ask the sellers agent why the insurance was too high. She must have forgotten how much she put in the MLS or somebody could have written that listing that says it has a yearly insurance of $2,000. She said that compare insurance companies and ask for quotes.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed thanks for your advice, I'll keep those in mind. It looks like I can increase rent and lower expenses if I get this deal. I think that the seller is in deep financial trouble because she tried to renovate the duplex to become a triplex by making the basement very livable, but the village did not approved to it.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin "Do it, learn from it and do more deals." Thank you, Your a breather, your my Oxygen.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @David Faulkner Yes, I just figured that out, all of these worries could be "at a moot point." The further I study this property, the more I'm convinced that the price of this duplex is $30,000 more than the asking price. I bid $40,000 below the listing price, there's a big chance they might not approve it.

    I mentioned the comps as my reply to Jeff Valentino. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.